IGNORED

Your First Set of Clubs

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 1218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My first set of clubs were purchased from a State Park golf course when they decided to get new rental clubs.  I think they were Spalding's, maybe?  It was a canvas bag with a putter, 3,5,7 and 9 irons, with a 1,3, and 5 wood.  The "woods"  seemed to be more plastic than wood, as I recall.  

In my defense, it was 1980 and used lefty clubs were next to impossible to find and they practically gave them to me since I was a cook at the grill and in high school.  

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just got em a few months ago!! 

TM 2009 burner 10.5 

TM RBZ 17 degree 3

4h-6h,7i-aw callaway edge

vokey sm6 60 degree

tour edge backdraft putter

Archie Bunker, yeah the Sam Snead Blue Ridge clubs were everywhere. My younger Bro had a set of Wilson K-28's or Spaldings, I forget which. What I do remember was that the "woods" were made out of some sort of plastic called "Cycolac". He refused to call them woods, he called them his "plastics"! 

The balls I remember are mainly the Spalding Dots. The Blue Dots were my favorites. There was also the MacGregor Tourney, which might be the worst golf ball ever made, and a Uniroyal ball that featured hexagonal dimples! The main thing was they were all wound balls with balata covers. One bladed iron and they were ruined!

I also remember playing one of the first 2 piece balls. I found it and it had Lee Trevino's name on it. On one tee shot it split in half, and the halves went whirring into the woods on either side of the fairway! I stood there dumbfounded, then started to laugh! I turned to my playing partner and asked, "OK, what's the ruling on this?!"

20 hours ago, fishgolf said:

Cool story.  So did you make a hole-in-one or just closest too?

It was a Hole-in-One on the 6th Hole at Bangor Municipal Golf Course.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I don’t remember my first set exactly, but I believe the company that made them were near West Chicago, IL. My father knew of them and got me the set.

The first set I purchased were 1992 Big Berthas. I rebought a Duece, 4 and 7 recently on Ebay, just as remembrance for about $35 each with minty headcovers. I bagged the Duece a few weeks ago and it played beautifully. 

My first set was the old Kmart Blue Light specials. I don't have a clue what the brand was at the time. I played with them off and on about 2-3 times a year, otherwise they sat in the garage for a couple of years. I finally decided to take the game up seriously, and after working at it, and getting a bit better, I splurged on a set of Spalding Executives. Immediately improved the game. After a number of years I moved on to Tommy Armour 845's steel. Played with those about 3 years and started developing a bad case of tendinitis in my left elbow. Bought a new set of Tommy Armour 845's graphite. Played with those until my current set, Callaway X20's graphite. I'm thinking about upgrading since technology has marched on.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

My first set came from Service Merchandise bought by my parents when I was about 13-14.  Ram Golf boxed set; driver and 3 wood- some type of solid hard plastic similar to a bowling ball-Cyclolac I think. 3,5,7,9 irons, a putter, and a plastic canvas bag with matching headcovers.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On 6/11/2018 at 3:55 PM, Myke S said:

I just got em a few months ago!! 

TM 2009 burner 10.5 

TM RBZ 17 degree 3

4h-6h,7i-aw callaway edge

vokey sm6 60 degree

tour edge backdraft putter

Revision: not a “set” but i had a 5,7,9 sawed off chichi hand-me downs and a persimmon 3 wood..i remember a brass putter too but cant remember the brands of the wood and putter. This was in the 3 months i golfed when i was 7

• Thumbs Up 1

My first half set of clubs where the ones that my mom borrowed me from his set, bougth in the US in 1993. They where cheap clubs, don´t remember the brand but they where purple on the back side.
I used them to compete in junior championships across Argentina. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

What I do remember was that the "woods" were made out of some sort of plastic called "Cycolac".

Right!  That's what mine were made of in my post above.  Could not remember that name for some reason.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

My first full set of clubs I bought, sometime in the 70's, were MacGregor, 3 woods (1,3,5) and full set of irons, 3 to SW. I forget the putter I had. Before that, I had a mixed bag of clubs when I was a teenager, whatever I could find in our garage (my Dad played).

The first club I actually had was a cut down wedge that my brother and I used to hit in our backyard when we were very young. My Dad cut it down for us and it was a RH club, although both of us were left handed. Ended up playing golf right handed my whole life. The only real benefit I got out of that is my wicked backhand in tennis. 

Bill M

The set I have now (I don't count the set I got when I was 9 years old, or even 13 years of age, as I never used them ... unfortunately), I would say. Got it for $ 75.00 off a popular social media site.

Wilson.jpg

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

My first set, if it can be called that, would technically be my mom's Wilson blades from the 70s (she played when she was younger, then stopped before I was born and didn't take it up again until a few years ago).  I used those clubs for one 18-hole par-3 course and a few times at the range, as I had played Xbox golf with a roommate and thought I may want to play for real.  When I decided I was actually going to play golf, a friend of mine suggested a friend of his to build me a set of clubs.  I got 4-P + S in a brand called "US Tour" -- I think they're component clubs.  He took some swing measurements and chose the shafts accordingly.  I think they're lighter flex but unmarked;  my mom uses those irons now and hits them pretty well.  The builder also made me a 5-wood.  I think I paid $200 for eight irons and a 5wood. 

The purchase was February 2006.  I used them until shortly after I broke 90 for the first time.  I don't know where the 5-wood from that earlier-described set is;  in fact, I think that's the only club I have bought but not returned where I don't know where it is.  It's not my mom's 5-wood;  she uses a Nike woman's 5-wood that she hits very well.  I used the 5-wood as my tee club for a few rounds before buying a driver at a tent sale at Roger Dunn the end of summer 2006.  That driver was a TaylorMade.  I think I abused the Roger Dunn return policy on 3-wood because it took me a half dozen returns before I found one I liked.  But they've gotten a lot of business from me since.

Same summer, I rounded out the set with two Titleist Vokey used wedges, 52 and 58 degrees.  

I had initially used my mom's old putter before buying a Ping Anser putter that summer.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My first set of clubs were a set of ping eye 2 knock offs 2-Sw, a Wilson driver, and a titleist bullseye putter.  I still have this set in my shop and hit them occasionally when I’m outside cooking or playing with the dogs. 

Sam Snead Blue Ridges, I thought I was really something when I got a set of Power Bilt Citation irons and some old MacGregor MT Tourneys woods a couple of years later. I still have the 3 and 4 woods. I loved Maxfli Red Dot balls back then probably the late 60s and early 70s.

Live from the doghouse.

The first set of clubs I bought for myself was a set of "Haig Ultradyne 2's" made by the Walter Hagen golf company, and God only knows who they actually were!

They were muscleback blades which I came to think were much too long for me. After learning a bit more about the game, and discovering that I was standing much too far from the ball and stooping over way too much, they turned out to be perfect!

That's the set I really learned to play golf with.

Note: This thread is 1218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!