IGNORED

Chamblee: "Lift the Left Heel"

Note: This thread is 2133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Brandell is telling all of us to lift the left heel on the backswing -- love to hear thoughts -- please discuss.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

That's one of those personal qwerks. Some do, some don't.

Thinking about it, I can't tell you if I do, or don't. If I do it's very little I would think. I know I do tend to spin my left foot during my follow through 

I have heard it's a good thing to lift the left heel on the back swing, that replanting it is good way to start the down swing, and a forward weight shift. 

I have also heard that keeping the foot planted, with the golfer's weight forward on it a good thing that relates to a forward weight shift at impact. 

For me, honestly, foot wise, all I have really thought about during my golf swing is riding up on my right toe at the right time, and that little spin on my left footon the follow through. I do this, not for my golf swing, but for back saving health reasons. Between the two, I don't put alot extra twisting pressure, that my back/spine can't handle. I have swung a club hundreds of thousands of times over the years with no back issues. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, BallStriker said:

Brandell is telling all of us to lift the left heel on the backswing -- love to hear thoughts -- please discuss.

Depends on the golfer. It's more of an old-school move. It if doesn't cause issues then it is fine. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to Chamblee: "Lift the Left Heel"
16 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Depends on the golfer. It's more of an old-school move. It if doesn't cause issues then it is fine. 

This is the key. I tried it a long time ago in practice, but for me it made my hips move back. So it stopped doing it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

i try not to think about it at all; if I do, it becomes a distraction. If the heel lifts, it lifts. Now, as a Senior whose hip/shoulder turn is limited, I know the turn is better if my heel lifts; and I know I hit the ball further. But I think I get pretty much the same effect with a practice swing where I concentrate on bringing the clubhead around my right shoulder on the proper plane. That is my key instead of heel lift. Thanks for the topic, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

22 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

i try not to think about it at all; if I do, it becomes a distraction. If the heel lifts, it lifts. Now, as a Senior whose hip/shoulder turn is limited, I know the turn is better if my heel lifts; and I know I hit the ball further. But I think I get pretty much the same effect with a practice swing where I concentrate on bringing the clubhead around my right shoulder on the proper plane. That is my key instead of heel lift. Thanks for the topic, -Marv

I agree. I don’t think telling someone to lift their heel is a good idea. But I do think it may help to advise a player to not focus on keeping it down. I see a difference here.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It's not a magic move. It doesn't guarantee more turn going back and the replant isn't guaranteed to get your weight forward going down. There's a way to do it wrong and it will end up not doing anything for your swing, possibly even adding one more variable to compensate for. 

You'll get more from flaring your feet than just lifting your front heel.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I’ve always believed that keeping the left foot done was an essential part of the average golfer’s swing. Now that I am well into my 70s, if I don’t allow it to lift, I end up with a RSA.

My take as a person who was instructed in an old fashioned way for a time is that BC is outside looking in and reverse engineering something he doesn’t understand.

I think taking that advice is a bad idea.  It may or may not happen in a good swing but it isn’t a cause or a good thing to focus on because it is not a fundamental.

Note: This thread is 2133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!