IGNORED

Lag Putting

Note: This thread is 2060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe the general rule of thumb for lag putting is to get the ball inside 3'. Really, that is pretty good for 40 ft putts, and exceptional on something like 60 ft putts. 

Looking at the strokes gained charts from Every Shot Counts, I think a new rule of thumb should be take the first digit of the distance of the putt you have and -1 from it. 

Example, a 60 FT putt should be inside 5 FT. A 30 FT putt should be inside 2 FT. 

I got this by taking 1 stroke off the strokes gained from the putting chart, and compared it to where that value is closest to a shorter putt. Example, a 60 FT putt is 2.21 FT and taking 1 stroke off that gives us 1.2 FT, or about a 5 FT putt equivalent. 

Really, if you have a very long putt, 60 Ft, and end up about 5 FT away, that is average for a PGA tour player, and probably pretty decent for most amateurs. 

Thoughts?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like your idea.  I was taught a different metric.  It is the 5% Rule.  If you are excellent at putting your leave, if you miss, is 5% of the distance of the putt.  So at 20 feet it would be 1 foot, at 30 feet it would be 1.5 feet, etc.  and at 60 feet it would be 3 feet.   I just multiply the distance times 5.. and divide by 100.  After you do this awhile you do not even need to divide by 100 as you know what the distance should be.

Thoughts -- reactions -- comments -- suggestions

I have always thought the 10% “rule” was a good one to live by for most amateurs. Get your first putt to within ten percent of your starting distance from the hole. Get the ball to 3ft from 30 or 6 feet from 60. Most amateurs would do well to accomplish this. IIRC  LSW even mentions this as well. 

2 minutes ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

I like your idea.  I was taught a different metric.  It is the 5% Rule.  If you are excellent at putting your leave, if you miss, is 5% of the distance of the putt.  So at 20 feet it would be 1 foot, at 30 feet it would be 1.5 feet, etc.  and at 60 feet it would be 3 feet.   I just multiply the distance times 5.. and divide by 100.  After you do this awhile you do not even need to divide by 100 as you know what the distance should be.

Thoughts -- reactions -- comments -- suggestions

Could be something to implement for better golfers or putters. But seems a little bit difficult for most amateurs. I could be wrong but I don’t think even tour pros get 60 foot putts within 3 feet as often as people think. 

My own lag putting rule is to make the first putt. If I don't make it, my second putting rule comes into play, which is a tap in. 

It does not work out that way alot of the time, but when it does, I am a happy golfer. 

Just getting the ball close is part of my game, but it's like taking my ugly sister to the prom. I aim, and putt to make everything.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I believe the general rule of thumb for lag putting is to get the ball inside 3'. Really, that is pretty good for 40 ft putts, and exceptional on something like 60 ft putts. 

Looking at the strokes gained charts from Every Shot Counts, I think a new rule of thumb should be take the first digit of the distance of the putt you have and -1 from it. 

We tell people 10%.

Look at page 110 in Lowest Score Wins, @saevel25. :-) Look at the "C-Value" and note the use of the word "all."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

We tell people 10%.

Look at page 110 in Lowest Score Wins, @saevel25. :-) Look at the "C-Value" and note the use of the word "all."

I should crack the cover on that dusty book open again 😜

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

3 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

I have always thought the 10% “rule” was a good one to live by for most amateurs. Get your first putt to within ten percent of your starting distance from the hole. Get the ball to 3ft from 30 or 6 feet from 60. Most amateurs would do well to accomplish this. IIRC  LSW even mentions this as well. 

Could be something to implement for better golfers or putters. But seems a little bit difficult for most amateurs. I could be wrong but I don’t think even tour pros get 60 foot putts within 3 feet as often as people think. 

It may be tough for some amateurs, however, I see it as aspirational.   Work to achieve this when you do drills and you will get better and when you get on the course your lag putting should reflect it..  This drill was taught by Eddie Merrins, who was inducted into the PGA Hall of Fame.  http://golfersinsider.com/instructors-2/golf-instructor-eddie-merrins/

I understand LSW's approach.  So it is not an argument about who is right or wrong... rather a different perspective.  Inside 10% is nice, inside 5% is even nicer.   For me I would rather have a 3 foot second putt from 60 feet if I miss, than a 6 foot putt.  You have an almost 100% chance of making a 3 foot putt, and as an amateur only about a 50% chance from 6 feet (pros make 80% plus)

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I should crack the cover on that dusty book open again 😜

Wow, that this is a bad sentence... 😇

"I should crack the cover on that dusty book once again.." 

Sorry, that was a quick post form my phone at dinner. I blame the drinks I had 😉 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

I understand LSW's approach.  So it is not an argument about who is right or wrong... rather a different perspective.  Inside 10% is nice, inside 5% is even nicer.   For me I would rather have a 3 foot second putt from 60 feet if I miss, than a 6 foot putt.  You have an almost 100% chance of making a 3 foot putt, and as an amateur only about a 50% chance from 6 feet (pros make 80% plus)

It is somewhat unrealistic to expect to be inside 5% regularly. LSW says “all” putts inside 10%. All isn’t really literal, but if you say almost all inside 10%, you’ll average 6 or 7% or so, probably.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe we should say 10% is acceptable (since golf is so mental) but yes, I want to be within 3 feet of the hole.

At the same time, I want to make every putt. Going through your routine takes off the pressure, whether it's 60 feet or 4 feet. I tell myself "just go through the process - don't think result (pressure).

For example, just off the green on a par 3 yesterday, 52 feet away, I measure the putt by walking, take a couple of slope readings with my feet, envision the gutter line that my ball will follow. Did not exactly do as envisioned as to the line but it dropped in the hole. Who doesn't like a birdie? 

Of course, if the putt had stopped within 5-6 feet, I would not have beat myself up. 

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

14 hours ago, Patch said:

My own lag putting rule is to make the first putt.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

At the same time, I want to make every putt.

In my mind that's not the same as lag putting. If I'm lagging a 60' putt, I'm looking to leave the ball in a 12' circle around the hole.

If I'm trying to make it I can't leave the putt short, which means I'm more likely to miss long. It's more like taking that 12' circle and shifting it so the hole is in the front 1/3 instead of center.

The intent shifts my target, if that makes sense.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
Just now, billchao said:

In my mind that's not the same as lag putting. If I'm lagging a 60' putt, I'm looking to leave the ball in a 12' circle around the hole.

If I'm trying to make it I can't leave the putt short, which means I'm more likely to miss long. It's more like taking that 12' circle and shifting it so the hole is in the front 1/3 instead of center.

The intent shifts my target, if that makes sense.

Yup.

My intent is to hit the ball the exact distance of the hole. If that's two inches short, well, I did my job and I did it incredibly well.

PGA Tour players average 2.0 putts from 33'. From outside of that, a tap-in is world class. Those who "go for it" are much more likely to three putt.

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

My intent is to hit the ball the exact distance of the hole. If that's two inches short, well, I did my job and I did it incredibly well.

That's always been my intent. I try to hit every putt with the proper speed.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

This is getting into more detail - I could say that I want to make every putt, at the same time, I am also aware of danger, possibly beyond the hole, so that is also a consideration - all of those factors are going into a putt, but after the read, I'm thinking speed for that line, but with other factors in mind. We coujld go on and on and on...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 month later...

For me, a lag putt is really anything over 40 feet or so. And my response to people who ask advice on how to do well on those types of putts is..

jdhVC.png

I have no idea what im going to do with a 40+ foot putt. Im just as likely to leave it 10 feet short as i am to get it within tap in range. 

Note: This thread is 2060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!