IGNORED

What tee to play from?

cnl390
Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

I’d have been an asshole to the guy. Playing the tips has nothing to do with hitting one in the other fairway.

To be honest, I was a bit taken aback and he was an older guy probably in his 70's and I didn't want to be rude so I just went about my business.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

To be honest, I was a bit taken aback and he was an older guy probably in his 70's and I didn't want to be rude so I just went about my business.

Fair enough. I can usually bite my tongue when it’s an old dude but if I was playing bad and it was the right time I think I’d let him have it.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

For someone who shoots around 100, the white tees sounds right. Maybe senior tees if you're over 50.

When I play a course for the first time, I look for two things on the scorecard: First, a total yardage of 6300 to 6500. If it's shorter than that it means too many wedges into par-4s, but longer than that might mean too many long irons or hybrids. I also look at the length of the par-3s. I like them to be between 125 and 175 yards, meaning a short or mid-iron. Some courses I play are just about right for par-4s and par-5s, but the par-3s are all over 200 yards and that means a hybrid or 3-wood. 

Just my .02 worth. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

1 hour ago, RandyBobbitt said:

For someone who shoots around 100, the white tees sounds right. Maybe senior tees if you're over 50.

When I play a course for the first time, I look for two things on the scorecard: First, a total yardage of 6300 to 6500. If it's shorter than that it means too many wedges into par-4s, but longer than that might mean too many long irons or hybrids. I also look at the length of the par-3s. I like them to be between 125 and 175 yards, meaning a short or mid-iron. Some courses I play are just about right for par-4s and par-5s, but the par-3s are all over 200 yards and that means a hybrid or 3-wood. 

Just my .02 worth. 

One course we play and love has three holes that are excessively long from the white tees, at least IMO: a par 3 about 215, a par 4 445, and a par 5 about 550. The total yardage doesn't reflect this, since the course is 71 par with an extra par 3 for a par 4. We decided to play the senior tees last time out on all the holes, but we didn't feel right hitting wedges in on the normal length holes. So, we have decided to continue to split them, playing yellow tees on the three long holes, white tees everywhere else. We don't keep formal handicaps, but I guess this would be subversive to the handicap system and to USGA control?

I'm 62 years old. I used to play from the blues (blue/white/red), but moving up to the whites a few years ago(thanks to Jack Nicklaus' Play it Forward campaign) has me shooting mid 80's consistently like I did 10 years ago. I get to hit a variety of clubs on the par 4 approaches, which is fun for me. Tomorrow I plan to play from the red's (hopefully by myself) just to get a different look at the course, and maybe learn something new about strategy. I'm hoping to break 80 if my putting holds up.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, Papa Steve 55 said:

I hooked up with a couple guys at Myrtle Nat'l on vacation a couple years ago. They wanted to play from the tips. I'm usually a white marker guy but agreed. The first guy topped his shot and the second pulled into the water left. The ranger pulled up and pointed the white markers, never said a word...lol.

I live close to MB and play there quite often and that happens all the time. I can’t understand why golfers want to beat themselves up on the course. I don’t play a particular color of tees, I look at the scorecard and play between 5800 and 6000 yards no matter the color. I play a course that shows on the scorecard what tees you should play from based on handicap.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 12:23 PM, RFKFREAK said:

My average drive is around 250 (with roll) and a good round for me is around the mid-90's.  I usually play from the white tees which for most courses is around 6k yards.  One of funniest things I experienced was when I playing from the tips at a course which measured 5600 yards and I pushed one of my drives onto the adjacent fairways.  The guy playing in that fairway was none to amused as when I was walking to my ball he scolded me for playing from the tips. :-$

I’ve experienced the same, but expect horrible treatment when playing from some else’s fairway 🤪😂🤪

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I’ve experienced the same, but expect horrible treatment when playing from some else’s fairway 🤪😂🤪

I suppose he has never hit a ball offline. :-$

Christian

With my handicap,  I have no business playing from the blues, but gave it a try for 9 today.  Fairways became narrower,  a few tee shots were blind, and one par 3 required hitting over mature pines to hit the green (I didn't).  Back to whites for me...

On 8/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, AlDena said:

I'm 62 years old. I used to play from the blues (blue/white/red), but moving up to the whites a few years ago(thanks to Jack Nicklaus' Play it Forward campaign) has me shooting mid 80's consistently like I did 10 years ago. I get to hit a variety of clubs on the par 4 approaches, which is fun for me. Tomorrow I plan to play from the red's (hopefully by myself) just to get a different look at the course, and maybe learn something new about strategy. I'm hoping to break 80 if my putting holds up.

Yesterday, I played the red tees for 4 holes, 2 4 pars and 2 3 pars that I can no longer reach in regulation. It was good. Water and sand were brought back into play, and it felt like I was playing the hole the way it was designed.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 7:35 AM, RFKFREAK said:

I suppose he has never hit a ball offline. :-$

I was playing one time off the wrong fairway and the fellow on the fairway gave me a hard stare when two more balls landed near us. Two minutes later two other golfers took the brunt of his displeasure 🤪🤪😂

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

56 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I was playing one time off the wrong fairway and the fellow on the fairway gave me a hard stare when two more balls landed near us. Two minutes later two other golfers took the brunt of his displeasure 🤪🤪😂

Now THAT'S funny, haha. 

Christian

I think It depends on the course

In My Bag : Cleveland Golf 2017 Huntington Beach Best Golf Putter
                   TaylorMade Men’s M2 Driver
                   Cleveland Golf Men’s 588 RTX Satin

On 8/20/2018 at 1:08 PM, cnl390 said:

This could be a very easy question, or could open a can of worms.

How does one choose what is the correct tee to play from?  My buddies and I always play from the white tees (usually around 70/123 rating) and shoot between 97-115.

Play whatever tees you get the most enjoyment from as long as you can keep up with the pace of play.  If players are waiting on you, or you can't keep up with those in front, then you need to either change your playing strategy, or move to the next forward tee.  That's really all there is to it, in my opinion.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I’ve noticed that many courses in my area play about 300 to 600 yards shorter during normal play. So, the 7200 yard tees are more like 6700 and 6400 more like 6000 while the 6000 are more like 5700 or so.

It's really not that significant to me because I can play most holes without incident, but it does seem like pace of play is better and it’s more fun.

I was told that they move things around to save the fairways, but it always seems shorter than longer. Possibly so tournaments are played on less divoty fairways?

Don't really know, but the few times when I played at the markers during normal play, many of my higher handicap shorter hitting partners complained about reaching the greens.

Shorter seems better, because people who have difficulty hitting perfect shots are probably better off closer to the hole from rough or trouble.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I agree with all who use pace of play and enjoyment to decide. I also agree that a given distance on one course can be easier than that distance on another.

Because I'm often fortunate enough to play as a single on days when there are very few others on the course, I'm able to play longer tees on occasion. It forces me to work on my long clubs more than normal. I think it makes for a very good practice round as long as I'm prepared to accept the higher score.

5,800 to 6,000 yds seems to be the perfect distance for me on most courses. There are par 4's that require a good tee shot in order to make a dog leg, the par 5's are reachable in 3 with a driver, 5w and wedge, and the par 3's are usually mid to long iron distance. Shooting in the 90's can be a challenge at this distance.

Move back to 6400 yards and breaking 100 becomes almost impossible. There are certainly guys hitting as short as me who can do it, but they are far more skilled.

My home course is a bit tougher than most of the others in my area and I play from tees just over 5,000 yards. I'm not really embarrassed by that as it matches my skill level (I've only broken 90 a few times from there). It's telling that a high percentage of the other members - some of whom are pretty good - play those tees as well.

Jon

I mostly play whites. I'll occasionally play from the blues on certain courses so that I can practice some longer, tougher shots. For example, I recently added a 3 iron to my set and played a round from the blues just so I could hit that particular club more often.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I play from the so-called senior tees @ 5600 - 5800 yds. They're typically a driver + 8 or 9 iron on most of the par 4s. One will require a 7 iron, and another a 6 iron. I can reach two with a GW to LW on the second shot depending where I place my drive. The par 3s are a challenge with 7 irons. The par 5s all depend upon my tee shot. If I start breaking 80 I'll move back. I don't think the course is in any danger of that happening.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!