IGNORED

Opinions on Game Improvement irons

jmorrispsu
Note: This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I had been playing with a set of TItleist DCI 962 with TT dynamic gold S300 Sensicore shafts since I bought them used in 2001.  for a period of time I was about a 12hcp and could work the ball a little.  Then I stopped playing/practicing consistently and my game suffered, for periods not able to break 95. I figured I would get a set of GI irons to start enjoying the game a bit again, hopefully get back into it and be able to take the DCIs out of the closet in a couple years and shoot for real again.  Problem I have is all the GI irons look like shovels to me and feel like hybrids.  Any suggestions for forgiving clubs that don't feel like hybrids?  Used and new...

Edited by jmorrispsu
added a sentence

1 hour ago, jmorrispsu said:

So, I had been playing with a set of TItleist DCI 962 with TT dynamic gold S300 Sensicore shafts since I bought them used in 2001.  for a period of time I was about a 12hcp and could work the ball a little.  Then I stopped playing/practicing consistently and my game suffered, for periods not able to break 95. I figured I would get a set of GI irons to start enjoying the game a bit again, hopefully get back into it and be able to take the DCIs out of the closet in a couple years and shoot for real again.  Problem I have is all the GI irons look like shovels to me and feel like hybrids.  Any suggestions for forgiving clubs that don't feel like hybrids?  Used and new...

There are quite a few options out there. Ping i200, i210 and my new favorite i500. None of these have that clunky look or feel compared to the GI clubs. Even Titleist AP2 & AP3 are good choices as well. Srixon z565, z765. Mizuno JPX 900. I care about how an iron looks when I look down at it. I want that confidence. But it's not like going to GI will make a vast change for you. Let's be honest here. It's most likely your swing that needs some tuning right? But your current clubs are pretty old. Research the irons I mentioned and see what you think. There are of course more options but those are all really nice irons that will certainly have more forgiveness than your DCI 962's. Welcome to TST!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go to callawaygolfpreowned (CPO) and find something you like. They also have other OEMs.

There is so much good out there -- Mizuno JPX 900 Forged or the new 919 Forged, Ping i500 or i210 or a mix, etc. , Callaway Apex CF16

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I personally find that Ping consistently has among the best irons for game improvement players, although I would push for one of the "G" lines.  They may seem big when you pick them up but I find "the shovel" is more hidden at address than one would think.  I know that I was concerned that they were too big when I was looking, but I tried out something like 15 irons and Ping was by far the best for me.  The Ping "I" line looks fabulous, but IMO they aren't game improvement, or they are game improvement only for better mid-handicaps.  Titleist also look incredible for game improvement irons.  From my experience they are more forgiving than Ping "I" but less than Ping "G", but man do they look good - probably what I would consider with Ping if I were buying new irons today.  My rule of thumb is that most players need more forgiveness, not less.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:56 PM, jmorrispsu said:

I have is all the GI irons look like shovels to me and feel like hybrids.  Any suggestions for forgiving clubs that don't feel like hybrids?  Used and new...

Look at the Mizuno GI clubs. Also, Taylormade has made some good GI clubs that don't look chunky.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

PXG Gen 1's are currently on sale. And they have a blade like look. They are worth a consideration.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

I love my AP1's. They will look al little clunky to you compared to your DCI's. Once you get used to them though, the DCIs won't come back out of the closet. The AP2 and AP3s are less clunky and still more forgiving than the DCIs.

As others have mentioned, the Mizuno JPX 900 and 919 lines are also very good.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Thanks for all the suggestions! 

So, I went and hit the G400 and the AP1 and AP2. The G400 have an awesome feel to me, and the AP1 were very similar. I can see both being more forgiving. Leaning toward the G400 but going to hit the Mizz JPX900 tonight if I have time or tomorrow...I am not as bothered by the clunkiness as I thought I would be. I was expecting an experience like the old original Big Bertha irons...so much has changed.

If you end up getting the JPX900's and order from the Mizuno website, use code "stay5". It'll save an additional $50. I was going buy some Mizuno's a couple of weeks ago but I ended up getting PXG's instead.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 4:28 PM, jmorrispsu said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! 

So, I went and hit the G400 and the AP1 and AP2. The G400 have an awesome feel to me, and the AP1 were very similar. I can see both being more forgiving. Leaning toward the G400 but going to hit the Mizz JPX900 tonight if I have time or tomorrow...I am not as bothered by the clunkiness as I thought I would be. I was expecting an experience like the old original Big Bertha irons...so much has changed.

So what did you decide on?

Went with the G400. Only played once since picking them up (had to order red dot and 1/2" short). Will definitely take time to get used to the added distance (it's like a club and a half) but the forgiveness is profound.   Way different than my DCI962...

3 hours ago, jmorrispsu said:

Went with the G400. Only played once since picking them up (had to order red dot and 1/2" short). Will definitely take time to get used to the added distance (it's like a club and a half) but the forgiveness is profound.   Way different than my DCI962...

Awesome. Always nice having to adjust to more distance.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, jmorrispsu said:

I got G400 irons earlier this year and really like them. Good choice. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 1 month later...

So a year later and here is my G400 review...THEY ARE LONG, HIGH, AND STRAIGHT. I probably should have thought more about trajectory and gone with a different shaft than the Nippon AWT stiff.  The TTDGS300 or something heavy like that may have been better, what I was used to. Overall though I feel like I cant really miss and every shot is up in the air. By the end of the season (last 4 rounds)  i was under 90. Having fun again!!

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!