IGNORED

Legal Chipper

Btichler
Note: This thread is 1267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That is fine. Sounds like a lot of loft, though. A 5 or 6 iron might work better 🙂

D4-1/3 

4-1/3

Status of a Chipper

Q.What Rules apply to "chippers"?

A.A "chipper" is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a "putting stroke" when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to "chippers" include:

1. The shaft must be attached to the clubhead at the heel (Appendix II, 2c);
  2. The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
  3. The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
  4. The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).
Edited by Martyn W

Why not just get a purpose made chipper?  

The biggest advantage to that is not only the loft and length, but that the sole and lie angle also replicates that of the putter and therefore, turns chipping into nothing more than a putt with loft.  Very easy and controllable.

You’ll likely hear from a lot who will tell you to “just get better” with your 8-iron, but those that know me know that I’m a huge proponent of chippers.  They can be a great way to make an immediate impact on the short game of a lot of mid-to-higher handicap players...

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You’ll likely hear from a lot who will tell you to “just get better” with your 8-iron, but those that know me know that I’m a huge proponent of chippers.  They can be a great way to make an immediate impact on the short game of a lot of mid-to-higher handicap players...

Yes, thank you. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• iacas changed the title to Legal Chipper

I believe it was either Lee Trevino or Ray Floyd that had some chipping videos that I saw and they would use a putting stroke with any club from 3i to 8i depending on how far you want it to carry over the fringe to the green.  I have used this many times anywhere from 6" off the edge to 6'.

No need to buy or make a club when you are already carrying them in the bag.  :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Sure it would be legal. But friends don't let friends use chippers. 

source.gif

Are you sure you can handle the soul crushing tidal wave of people doing this to you all of the time? Even at home? Choose wisely. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Why cut it down? Would not gripping down on the shaft work just as well? I have seen clubs, with what I thought were longer than normal length grips. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Why cut it down? Would not gripping down on the shaft work just as well? I have seen clubs, with what I thought were longer than normal length grips. 

I agree with this sentiment. I honestly believe that if one wants to use a chipper, let them. Shit, I have no use for a sand wedge, but I carry 2 of them.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• 4 weeks later...

My chipping game is rubbish. I'm thinking of getting a chipper. lol. Laugh after I get it near the hole.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/18/2018 at 11:41 PM, DrvFrShow said:

My chipping game is rubbish. I'm thinking of getting a chipper. lol. Laugh after I get it near the hole.

I had a 6 index and now it's 13+ and it was worse before I started playing more this year. Primary reason is that I developed chip yips which I've not been able to permanently eliminate. It's rare for me to chip well enough to get up and down and I once was a very good chipper. I just bought a chipper and I can tell it's going to shave off strokes in a hurry. I don't think anyone is going to laugh when I'm back in single digits and consistently winning skins from them. 

On 11/4/2018 at 8:05 PM, Aflighter said:

Exactly plus your not gonna chunk a chipper.

I've never hit a chipper, but, trust me when I say that I will likely find a way to chunk it.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I have two chippers: a left-handed 42 and a right-handed 24.  I use the left-handed club when an obstacle prevents me from using a right-handed club.  The 24 is used for putting from off but near the green.  Unlike the 42 it was designed with a putting stroke in mind...with a heavier (300gr) head and a shorter, more upright, shaft.  I would recommend to anyone considering putting with a chipper that they find a club as much like a putter as possible.  

As for gripping down on an iron...the Runyan-style chip/putt is worth a look.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!