Btichler

Legal Chipper

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

That is fine. Sounds like a lot of loft, though. A 5 or 6 iron might work better 🙂

D4-1/3 

4-1/3

Status of a Chipper

Q.What Rules apply to "chippers"?

A.A "chipper" is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a "putting stroke" when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to "chippers" include:

1. The shaft must be attached to the clubhead at the heel (Appendix II, 2c);
  2. The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
  3. The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
  4. The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).
Edited by Martyn W

Why not just get a purpose made chipper?  

The biggest advantage to that is not only the loft and length, but that the sole and lie angle also replicates that of the putter and therefore, turns chipping into nothing more than a putt with loft.  Very easy and controllable.

You’ll likely hear from a lot who will tell you to “just get better” with your 8-iron, but those that know me know that I’m a huge proponent of chippers.  They can be a great way to make an immediate impact on the short game of a lot of mid-to-higher handicap players...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You’ll likely hear from a lot who will tell you to “just get better” with your 8-iron, but those that know me know that I’m a huge proponent of chippers.  They can be a great way to make an immediate impact on the short game of a lot of mid-to-higher handicap players...

Yes, thank you. Best, -Marv

I believe it was either Lee Trevino or Ray Floyd that had some chipping videos that I saw and they would use a putting stroke with any club from 3i to 8i depending on how far you want it to carry over the fringe to the green.  I have used this many times anywhere from 6" off the edge to 6'.

No need to buy or make a club when you are already carrying them in the bag.  :beer:

Sure it would be legal. But friends don't let friends use chippers. 

source.gif

Are you sure you can handle the soul crushing tidal wave of people doing this to you all of the time? Even at home? Choose wisely. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Why cut it down? Would not gripping down on the shaft work just as well? I have seen clubs, with what I thought were longer than normal length grips. 

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Why cut it down? Would not gripping down on the shaft work just as well? I have seen clubs, with what I thought were longer than normal length grips. 

I agree with this sentiment. I honestly believe that if one wants to use a chipper, let them. Shit, I have no use for a sand wedge, but I carry 2 of them.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:41 PM, DrvFrShow said:

My chipping game is rubbish. I'm thinking of getting a chipper. lol. Laugh after I get it near the hole.

Exactly plus your not gonna chunk a chipper.