IGNORED

Only One Practice Divot

Patch
Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I met a golfer on a practice range a few days ago who had a unique way of hitting balls, without destroying a large area of the grass, but still taking a divot with each swing

After taking his first divot, he would place his next ball, at the back edge of his initial divot, and hit the ball at that position. Since the divot in front of the next ball had already been taken, he was not removing another patch of new turf.

He went on to tell me some of the other good points to this type of practice besides saving the grass. 

It promoted a more consistent swing. Since he was swinging the same, consistent way  every time, there was no need for an extra divot. Also his consistent swing did not enlarge, or make the initial divot deeper. (Maybe a little). 

Another plus was that since the initial divot had already removed most the turf, he was saving more wear, and tear on his club faces. 

He didn't leave a large barren square area of no turf. There was no long ditch of missing turf, and there was not several, individual divots, spaced out over a larger area. There was just one divot after several swings, that yes, was probably a little larger than a single divot, but not by much. 

Last, but not least, the repair when he was done was much easier, and used less material. 

I watched him hit several balls. It was very apparent he was a very good ball striker. His swing looked smooth and flawless. Ball flights were were strong, and accurate, obviously due to his very consistent swing, and impact position.

I had never seen this before, so I was a bit surprised. His reasoning made made sense. There might be a negative aspect to this type practice, but I can't figure one out. Obviously very few golfers have a consistent enough swing to do this turf saving routine, but it might be something to strive for. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

That's how I've always done it. That's how you get those little rows.

This was new to you? Honestly asking.

Heck, it's the poster frame of the first video I found on YouTube:

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What's a divot? 😜

Seriously though I'm pretty shallow at the bottom of the arc so if I'm hitting 4i or something I could hit an entire bucket and only scuff the turf a bit.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Same here, although there's some debate over rows spaced apart vs one big box, isn't there?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Same here, although there's some debate over rows spaced apart vs one big box, isn't there?

No. One big box is bad.

If the grass can grow in from multiple sides, that's better.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. One big box is bad.

If the grass can grow in from multiple sides, that's better.

Maybe it's the spacing between the lines I'm thinking of? I don't remember exactly what it is now, just that I was surprised when I found out I was doing it wrong 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. One big box is bad.

Shit.  Learn something new every day I guess.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

1 hour ago, iacas said:

This was new to you? Honestly asking.

Heck, it's the poster frame of the first video I found on YouTube:

Perhaps I explained it wrong. There is no long line of divots. In his case there was just one spot, maybe 3-4 inches in front of the ball. It got no longer, or wider. It stayed pretty much the the same size after ever stroke he took.

In my post I referred a long divot line in front of the ball as a "ditch". 

This guy, after his session, could have repaired his divot with just a few spoon fulls of filler.

All I have ever seen on ranges were long divot lines, big divot squares, or scattered divots in a large area.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Patch said:

Perhaps I explained it wrong. There is no long line of divots. In his case there was just one spot, maybe 3-4 inches in front of the ball. It got no longer, or wider. It stayed pretty much the the same size after ever stroke he took.

Well, then, he probably wasn't actually really taking much of a divot, because if you set the ball on any grass, that area is going to grow.

It’s a great method for all you great ball strikers. But when you’re hitting over 200 balls with massive fats, smother shanks along with deep divots to begin with...it doesn’t really matter...you’re making a mess. This is why I always lay down the seed/sand mixture when I’m done.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

51 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It’s a great method for all you great ball strikers. But when you’re hitting over 200 balls with massive fats, smother shanks along with deep divots to begin with...it doesn’t really matter...you’re making a mess. This is why I always lay down the seed/sand mixture when I’m done.

You should just show up to the range with a square of sod 😜

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, Patch said:

In my post I referred a long divot line in front of the ball as a "ditch". 

This guy, after his session, could have repaired his divot with just a few spoon fulls of filler.

All I have ever seen on ranges were long divot lines, big divot squares, or scattered divots in a large area.

I think finding scattered divots in a large area will tell you that the turf was not all that great in the first place! At the closest range to me, they lay out the ropes and leave them there for far too long! I show up to hit a small bucket and have to search for a spot with a few tufts of grass to sit a ball on. 

They don't seem to realize that they'd be farther ahead if they moved the ropes more often. This would keep them from wearing the turf out completely and it would heal up more quickly. 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Old guys shouldn’t be hitting 200 balls!

:-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Old guys shouldn’t be hitting 200 balls!

:-)

‘ You cut me Dave. You cut me real deep.’

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 11/19/2018 at 10:04 PM, Vinsk said:

‘ You cut me Dave. You cut me real deep.’

😂 Yes he did! Unfortunately, I also agree with him! The place I usually go is kind of a self serve outfit. You swipe your card in the machine, select the size bucket you want and the balls come out. You get 50-60 in a small and that's plenty for me. In fact, if I get 3/4 of the way through the bucket, and am hitting the ball the way I want, I'll leave the rest on the range, clean my clubs and go home! What am I going to prove? 

The thing I absolutely do NOT want to do is stay out there until I start hitting the ball poorly! 

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

😂 Yes he did! Unfortunately, I also agree with him! The place I usually go is kind of a self serve outfit. You swipe your card in the machine, select the size bucket you want and the balls come out. You get 50-60 in a small and that's plenty for me. In fact, if I get 3/4 of the way through the bucket, and am hitting the ball the way I want, I'll leave the rest on the range, clean my clubs and go home! What am I going to prove? 

The thing I absolutely do NOT want to do is stay out there until I start hitting the ball poorly! 

I can see how many if not most would feel this way. But for one, I actually really enjoy the practice area. I’m trying to rebuild my entire swing as well. If I didn’t have a full time career I would put most pros to shame as far as time spent practicing. With golf I’m also an idiot. I have no natural talent at all for this sport. I have no feel and no part of the swing comes natural to me except for hitting the hosel. It takes me hours just to duplicate a position I want to have. Back and forth with the camera...which I’m also inept with. But I’ll never quit. I love this game and being able to score in the 70’s especially low 70’s would be just an awesome achievement for me. I’m tired of just ‘being on’ for streaks where my compensations are working only to fire a 90 due to shanks all day. And like I’ve said, if I could make my current salary doing anything golf I’d quit today. Golf is hard. I love it.

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I can see how many if not most would feel this way. But for one, I actually really enjoy the practice area. I’m trying to rebuild my entire swing as well. If I didn’t have a full time career I would put most pros to shame as far as time spent practicing. With golf I’m also an idiot. I have no natural talent at all for this sport. I have no feel and no part of the swing comes natural to me except for hitting the hosel. It takes me hours just to duplicate a position I want to have. Back and forth with the camera...which I’m also inept with. But I’ll never quit. I love this game and being able to score in the 70’s especially low 70’s would be just an awesome achievement for me. I’m tired of just ‘being on’ for streaks where my compensations are working only to fire a 90 due to shanks all day. And like I’ve said, if I could make my current salary doing anything golf I’d quit today. Golf is hard. I love it.

You can also do things other than full swings at the range. I usually practice pitch shots, partial swings, etc. as well. If I get a full bucket, say 70 balls, only 30 may be used for full swings.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You can also do things other than full swings at the range. I usually practice pitch shots, partial swings, etc. as well. If I get a full bucket, say 70 balls, only 30 may be used for full swings.

Oh I do. It’s a great practice facility. Two bunkers with a nice green and about a100yd practice hole. I do all that too. Not as much but I often spend 4hrs and more when I’m out there.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:00 AM, Patch said:

I met a golfer on a practice range a few days ago who had a unique way of hitting balls, without destroying a large area of the grass, but still taking a divot with each swing

After taking his first divot, he would place his next ball, at the back edge of his initial divot, and hit the ball at that position. Since the divot in front of the next ball had already been taken, he was not removing another patch of new turf.

He went on to tell me some of the other good points to this type of practice besides saving the grass. 

It promoted a more consistent swing. Since he was swinging the same, consistent way  every time, there was no need for an extra divot. Also his consistent swing did not enlarge, or make the initial divot deeper. (Maybe a little). 

Another plus was that since the initial divot had already removed most the turf, he was saving more wear, and tear on his club faces. 

He didn't leave a large barren square area of no turf. There was no long ditch of missing turf, and there was not several, individual divots, spaced out over a larger area. There was just one divot after several swings, that yes, was probably a little larger than a single divot, but not by much. 

Last, but not least, the repair when he was done was much easier, and used less material. 

I watched him hit several balls. It was very apparent he was a very good ball striker. His swing looked smooth and flawless. Ball flights were were strong, and accurate, obviously due to his very consistent swing, and impact position.

I had never seen this before, so I was a bit surprised. His reasoning made made sense. There might be a negative aspect to this type practice, but I can't figure one out. Obviously very few golfers have a consistent enough swing to do this turf saving routine, but it might be something to strive for. 

I’ve been around a long time and have not noticed this method. This time of year, when the grass is slow to recover, it makes some sense.  While I’m not consistent enough to leave just one divot behind, I suspect that following this technique would significantly reduce the damage that I usually leave behind. Temp will hit 60 later today, so I will give it a try.

Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!