IGNORED

Kuchar Pays Caddie $5k, Is Shamed, Pays $50k

Phil McGleno
Note: This thread is 1717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

kuchar.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

So this is, in the end (and completely IMO) a situation where Matt Kuchar is both "right" but still a tightwad douche

Still stands imo.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Whether Kuchar can afford it or not is completely irrelevant, he basically hired a guy to carry his bag for a week. I certainly think he could have been more generous but not 50K and definitely not the 10% his regular caddie would receive.

This should have never become public in the first place. Too bad he caved but it was the best move to end it, move on and keep his sponsors happy.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
Just now, mvmac said:

Whether Kuchar can afford it or not is completely irrelevant, he basically hired a guy to carry his bag for a week. I certainly think he could have been more generous but not 50K and definitely not the 10% his regular caddie would receive.

This should have never become public in the first place. Too bad he caved but it was the best move to end it, move on and keep his sponsors happy.

Yes.

$20k paid right away - not after emails from the caddie and Gillis taking to Twitter - and this thing is likely not a story at all.

Kuchar was dumb and cheap, particularly after the initial Gillis stuff and the questions at the Sony about it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Whether Kuchar can afford it or not is completely irrelevant, he basically hired a guy to carry his bag for a week. I certainly think he could have been more generous 

But unfortunately this just isn’t how the world works. A wealthy celebrity runs up a tab at a bar then leaves a 15-20% tip he/she will be deemed cheap. A working class person leaves the same tip it’s all good. If Kuchar was a struggling father of 3 who just got on tour with total earnings of 50k...his 5k for the week wouldn’t be criticized. You also stated ‘He could’ve been more generous’ Why? The caddy didn’t do much right? I think you stated he could’ve been more generous because he’s quite wealthy and just won $1.2M...so I do believe his being able to afford it plays a role. All of this drama could’ve been avoided for an amount that means little to almost nothing to Matt Kuchar. That’s really my point. Just a thought. I do believe the caddy showed greed and ungrateful behavior overall as well.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, Elmer said:

"While most people agree with Ortiz that he didn't merit the normal 10 percent, keep in mind the caddie's intake was less than half of ONE percent"

The guy made over 120 dollars per hour to carry a bag. I don't care what normal caddies make. This guy made a lot of money for carrying a bag for 4 days. 

This guy made a good amount of money. If he wants to complain, I will spend money to fly with Kuchar to his next even overseas and gladly take 3-5K for doing so. 

7 hours ago, Elmer said:

Kucher won 1.3 million and is worth nearly 46 million or more.

This doesn't matter. His net worth is less than 46 million. Winnings does not equal net worth. He's probably only kept a 40-50% of that after taxes and expenses. 

7 hours ago, Elmer said:

Kucher is another example of why golf is seen as a elitist. 

No it doesn't. 

7 hours ago, Elmer said:

Once the story is on Pardon The Interruption and Social media, it gets amplified. If social media does anything, it magnifies bad actions and  shames people for lacking empathy.

Which clearly explains your overreaction. 

Social media is a plague upon our lives.

7 hours ago, Elmer said:

It is a far better PR look if he comes out and says he made a mistake and pay him a decent sum. if not he will be fielding question about what he pays his caddie for some time. 

I don't think he made a mistake. In the end, no one can nail down a number he should have gave. People will blame him no matter what he does because he is a public figure. This isn't about money, it's about appealing to these crazy social media addicts so these sports news networks get clicks. 

The only way he gets any applause would be if he donated his entire winnings to the guy. There would be someone out there who could say, "He's made enough over his career he should give everything away.". 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

I don't think he made a mistake.

You're almost alone in that. You and Brandel. 😄

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mvmac said:

I agree that he paid too little, and that 10% is too much.l, and have said so all along.

I actually think he made a good move with his statement and I’m hapoy for the caddie and any charities that he helped too. I think social media was a good force here.

This puts him back on the good guy side for me.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're almost alone in that. You and Brandel. 😄

I think Kuchar is cheap but both parties agreed to a contract before the tournament.    I believe Kuchar took advantage of a local and could have said I'll give you a  percentage of my winnings up to 5% with a minimum of $4k.  If he hadn't won would we even be having this discussion?   What would social media say if Kuchar only won $50k?   Let's say he ends up 27th, and makes less than $50k.  5% would only be $2500 so a minimum of $4k wouldn't haven't been questioned.   5% of his winning would be a little over $50k and we wouldn't be having this discussion.    

Bottom line, he's cheap and social media won't let him forget it for quite some time.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

This doesn't matter. His net worth is less than 46 million. Winnings does not equal net worth. He's probably only kept a 40-50% of that after taxes and expenses. 

He’s also made investments and could very well be worth more than that. We don’t know right? But what common sense tells us is he’s sure as hell not strapped for cash and having to live from his tournament wins with nothing in the bank. 

90% sure that Kuchar will get no redemption for doing this, sadly.  

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, chspeed said:

This puts him back on the good guy side for me.

Someone being forced into doing the right thing does that for you?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Someone being forced into doing the right thing does that for you?

Forced? I’m sure he could have dug his heels if he wanted to. I’d say pressured, and I think that’s a good thing.

We all make mistakes. Im sure the release was written by Strindberg & co. , but still, I bet kuchar had the final say.

Edited by chspeed

Sorry but I can't help it.

IMG_0472.thumb.jpg.6c5a0f569f9bd9f0e7cc2ce68c1d4a94.jpg

Anywho what @iacas said is exactly how I feel, Kuchar didn't really do anything wrong yet somehow I feel like he is a cheap bastard. Glad the guy got paid, it's probably too much. If Kuchar would have just handed the dude a check for $20,000-$25,000 on that Sunday everyone would have been happy and this entire debacle would have been avoided. And Kuchar would have saved his cheap ass $25 grand. 

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

You also stated ‘He could’ve been more generous’ Why? The caddy didn’t do much right? I think you stated he could’ve been more generous because he’s quite wealthy and just won $1.2M

I said that because he won and it he might have avoided the situation if he paid him 15-20K.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

A wealthy celebrity runs up a tab at a bar then leaves a 15-20% tip he/she will be deemed cheap.

Mostly agree and I think that's a problem.

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

All of this drama could’ve been avoided for an amount that means little to almost nothing to Matt Kuchar.

This is my issue with the whole thing is how people make judgements about others based on their income thinking what they would do with their money based on their current lifestyle. My wife and I have good friends that are worth as much or even more than Kuchar, several thousand dollars is still seen as a lot of money to them. It's a big deal to them when we pay for a meal/entertainment because their other friends never pick up the check. People in that position are often take for granted even by people in their inner circle. You don't know what other expenses Kuchar has or how many people he's supporting. 

@Vinsk you know this but Kuchar isn't taking home the 1.3M, half goes to taxes, then he's got his swing coach, agent, traveling expenses. Still a lot of money but it's gets divided up quick.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

ou know this but Kuchar isn't taking home the 1.3M, half goes to taxes, then he's got his swing coach, agent, traveling expenses. Still a lot of money but it's gets divided up quick.

Absolutely right. But had he used his regular caddy...who couldn’t have yielded a better outcome as he won, he would’ve been out 120k. I think giving less than half that and gain enourmous popularity would’ve been worth it. I also agree the attitude about wealth has some unfortunate social issues...but I think this case was one he should’ve just rode the tide with. 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!