IGNORED

True Potential

Swooshgolf
Note: This thread is 1890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How can one gauge their true potential? Do certain physical abilities prove that you have better golf? How much does the mental side overshadow ones physical abilities? I feel my mind is my weakest link as I tend to try and hit the right shot in every situation. 

• Administrator

There's no way to know anyone's true potential. Even Tiger Woods made choices in life that took away from his time and focus. Hell, even before we knew about the off-the-course stuff, people were making the argument that Tiger should have stayed with Butch Harmon. And so if we can't know Tiger's true potential, we can't know anyone's.

You're going to get heavy disagreement from me that your mind is what's holding you back the most. Your body is, by far, what needs to be improved the most.

And if you're talking about GamePlanning (shot selection, etc.) for your "mind," then you can "fix" that by reading a book, and for the rest of your life you'll know how to GamePlan perfectly.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, Swooshgolf said:

How much does the mental side overshadow ones physical abilities? 

I agree with @iacas on this. However attitude can certainly have an impact on ones progress. If there is a player who is a horrible ball striker but insists he needs to work on his putting he is lowering his potential to play better. If someone refuses to take lessons because they believe the golf swing is natural and requires no thought...’just swing’ type of nonsense then he’s most likely lowering his potential. But for the most part swinging over the top or flipping the ball isn’t because you’re mentally weak or nervous. It’s a mechanical issue that you haven’t corrected. It requires finding what the correct move feels like to you and learning to be comfortable with it and being able to repeat it. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The only way your mind is a weakness is by not using it to practice correctly and get your body to perform better. @Vinsk mentioned attitude and that is how I see it best applied. You can practice focusing and "being in the moment" and all the other zen stuff all you want. But if your body cannot do what you want it to do because you haven't put the time in to change the picture, you are going to fall short.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Swooshgolf said:

How can one gauge their true potential? 

A persons handicap reflects a players potential.

Do certain physical abilities prove that you have better golf?

It would be tough to play with a broken arm 
A person would have a better chance of improvement with good physical abilities

How much does the mental side overshadow ones physical abilities?

Unless one has issues in their life which they can not separate from routine activities,
or a person does not concentrate on the matters presented at the moment,
then there should be no importance to compare mental versus abilities.

I feel my mind is my weakest link as I tend to try and hit the right shot in every situation.

Doesn't everyone attempt to play the right shot.
I certainly do not aim for water hazard to left of green expecting the shot to land in the center of the green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I wouldn't worry so much about potential. I would get an instructor that you are comfortable with and by working towards getting better that should strengthen how you feel about things. As @boogielicious said it's all about practicing correctly to work towards changing the picture. Also, and I should take my own advice here, pick up Lowest Score Wins by @iacas. As he inferred, that will help with a lot of the game planning that goes into playing more successful golf. Good luck!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

10 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I disagree. What if a golfer doesn't have a handicap? Do they then have zero potential?

Potential is abilities that may be developed and lead to future success. If you are at your absolute best then you have no potential left. In reality, any measure of your current ability is not potential. I do not think you can truly measure potential. How many times do you see college football athletes get compared to previous or current NFL players? How many times do they end up exactly like them?

15 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Situational awareness can make this a bit tricky. What if a golfer is 1 down and needs a birdie to force a playoff. They obviously needs to take on a bit more risk to maximize the chance for birdie. .  

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

54 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I know that's what they say, but in reality it is a measure of a player's "pretty good" based on his recent history.  It would be easy to argue that a player's potential is indicated by his lowest individual score. But aside from that kind of argument over semantics, many players have the potential to improve their game significantly, and that can't be measured by recent scores.

For the OP, what difference does it matter what your "true potential" is?  There's the state of your game now, and there's improving the state of your game.  I suggest its better to look at the next step of improvement than it is to look at how high you might possibly get somewhere down the road.  In a lot of ways, this viewpoint is much like the way we should play golf.  You can't stand on the first tee and be concerned over whether you'll shoot your personal best score today, it does no good.  You should stand on the first tee and try to decide on the best possible shot to try to hit off that tee, and then do your best to execute that shot.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Some folks are born with more athleticism than others. That's where the potential part with regards to playing sports begins.  Those  born with that athleticism, if allowed to develope it correctly, will find the sport they will be the most successful at. 

Those folks not born with athleticism, may have something else going for them, which is where their potentual might be. 

Everyone is potentially good at something. I have heard it said that finding one's own potential is one the greatest burdens in one's life. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

51 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

A persons handicap reflects a players potential

Potential by definition is having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future.

59 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

It would be tough to play with a broken arm 
A person would have a better chance of improvement with good physical abilities

By this, I mean distance, ball striking, short game, etc.

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

I certainly do not aim for water hazard to left of green expecting the shot to land in the center of the green.

I was refeering to hiting a draw or fade when needed. Low or high shots, etc.

34 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I do not think you can truly measure potential.

I agree, but as means to reflect on the difference or comparison, a higher skilled player has more potential to beat a lesser skilled player
when playing "Scratch"  
And, I'm sure you would agree, on any given day a player can play well above their history or expectations.
Therefore, the USGA uses the handicap system as a means of measuring potential.

5 minutes ago, Swooshgolf said:

Potential by definition is having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future.

Possibly unless a life changing incident occurs. There are many who have potential but seldom meet their expectations.
Also, potential changes. Sometimes in small increments as we age, or drastically when they no longer have the desire.
There are numerous people who either quit or never have the desire to challenge their potential. 

This question always reminds me of the commercial (I think some financial firm) involving Jack Nicklaus. It was something to the effect of;  if you string together Jack's best scores on each hole ever at Augusta and combine them in a round he would shot a mind blowing 48. Guess, you could call that demonstrated (true) potential. If Jack's actual best score was 60 (don't think he did) at Augusta, then theoretically he reached only 80% of his potential. 

So, from my perspective it is a good but simplistic answer - if you have been playing 10 years or so, chances are you have hit your best shot that you are ever going to hit with every club and just about every lie/situation. 

If you string together your best shots ever in a round then theoretically that can be your potential. That's about as good as you are ever going to do. IMO most people would do well to reach 50%-60% in their life times in a single round. 

If you are a noob, then it is a pointless/misleading exercise in trying to figure potential. There's just too much you have not realized even once.

Vishal S.

9 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

This question always reminds me of the commercial (I think some financial firm) involving Jack Nicklaus. It was something to the effect of;  if you string together Jack's best scores on each hole ever at Augusta and combine them in a round he would shot a mind blowing 48. Guess, you could call that demonstrated (true) potential. If Jack's actual best score was 60 (don't think he did) at Augusta, then theoretically he reached only 80% of his potential. 

So, from my perspective it is a good but simplistic answer - if you have been playing 10 years or so, chances are you have hit your best shot that you are ever going to hit with every club and just about every lie/situation. 

If you string together your best shots ever in a round then theoretically that can be your potential. That's about as good as you are ever going to do. IMO most people would do well to reach 50%-60% in their life times in a single round. 

If you are a noob, then it is a pointless/misleading exercise in trying to figure potential. There's just too much you have not realized even once.

I think the important thing to remember, every one of us has the potential to become better.  It doesn't matter where the ceiling really is, just that we try to get closer to it.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

17 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I agree, but as means to reflect on the difference or comparison, a higher skilled player has more potential to beat a lesser skilled player
when playing "Scratch"  

Potential is something that can be developed into something better in the future. By definition that is how I view golfing potential.

17 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

And, I'm sure you would agree, on any given day a player can play well above their history or expectations.

No, potential is not measurable by handicap.

Lets say all you know is that player A and player B have the same handicap of scratch, who has more potential?

See the issue, handicap does not measure potential. Player A could be at his absolute maximum ability and have no potential left. Player B could have the potential to end up being a +3 handicap. With out more information, you can not discern potential from handicap.

I don't care if I can shoot better than my handicap 20% of time. I need to make that percentage higher to improve. That doesn't show my potential.

7 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I don't like that example. Jack played in so many Masters. There are times were pure luck would give him a good score on a whole. What if he happen to chip in on a par 4? What if he only chipped in 2% of the time at Augusta. That really isn't potential. That is just luck.

Maybe the better answer is to take the top 10% of all the shots that make up their shot zones for each club and plot their score assuming the percentages. Lets say their end up averaging 15 FT from the hole. What would the score be if they were putting at 90% from perfect from 15 FT? Maybe that make percentage is 80%.

Again, luck would let a golfer end up with a better score than what their natural ability is.

8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I disagree. You could have someone who played from 21-31, then go to a good instructor and hit way better shots over the next 5 years than he ever did the previous 10 years.

The fact that a golfer can shift his swing path from 10+ degrees outside to in to a much better 2-3 degrees inside out would just throw those 10 years out the window.

10 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Which is your answer.

Do you just exclude all golfers from the thought experiment and only fit in the golfers that validate your thought experiment?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator

I think those of you arguing against your handicap index are not really doing so fairly.

It IS a measure of your potential to shoot a score that day. It's not going to be 100% accurate every time (duh), but it's pretty darn good especially if the inputs are pretty good (i.e. you maintain a regular handicap, follow the Rules, etc.).

But that's just your potential that day. It doesn't say anything about your long-term potential.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

49 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

when playing "Scratch"  

I do think potential is something that can be seen in someone. This might never be met but it still is there. I simply feel my mind is stopping me from reaching my current potential with respect to my physical abilities.

3 minutes ago, Swooshgolf said:

I simply feel my mind is stopping me from reaching my current potential with respect to my physical abilities.

That could just be ignorance, lack of knowledge in the correct way to practice or what to work on.

In very few cases (maybe none) does anyone ever reach their full potential with out practice. Was Michael Jordan the best basketball player the first time he ever touched a basketball?

In that case I can see the someone not even taking the effort to seek out how to practice or what to practice as a detriment to reaching their potential. That is far as I go with saying the mental game has a significant impact on playing golf.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 1890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!