IGNORED

Shorter Driver Length on Tour

golfjedi777
Note: This thread is 1852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Doesn’t Bubba use 43”?

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Shorter Driver Length on Tour
22 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Jimmy Walker uses a 42 inch.

Rickie Fowler has a 43.5 inch driver. 

think Xander Shauffle, not sure if i spelled that right. is using a shorter driver? saw some guys in Hawaii and looks like a shorter driver around 43"

I'm sure that if all the numbers were presented in a table, there would be a lot of Tour pros who do. It's a balancing act. What length Driver gives you max distance as well as control? 

I read an article many years ago, when the long Drivers were getting popular, about how many Tour pros were continuing to swing traditional length Drivers! Or, just slightly longer than standard. The main point of the article was that if a Tour pro couldn't control an ultra long Driver, what chance did an amateur have? 

What sense is there in hitting the ball 10 yards farther if it's 10 yard farther into the woods! I know I hit my current Driver the best if I choke up at least an inch on the grip! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Yep always bemused me that supposed GI drivers aimed at the higher handicapper largely came with 46" and plus drivers. I guess so the one miracle shot on a simulator was gonna be 17yards longer!

1 hour ago, Mozgolf said:

Yep always bemused me that supposed GI drivers aimed at the higher handicapper largely came with 46" and plus drivers. I guess so the one miracle shot on a simulator was gonna be 17yards longer!

The extra length is to help amateurs generate more speed. The guys on the PGA Tour don't need help there.

The average driver length is 44.5" so logic dictates that there are guys playing shorter drivers than that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, Mozgolf said:

ep always bemused me that supposed GI drivers aimed at the higher handicapper largely came with 46" and plus drivers. I guess so the one miracle shot on a simulator was gonna be 17yards longer!

I am 5'8", old and a slow swinger. I have two drivers that came stock 46+ inches, advertised as adding yardage  for us amateurs. My fitter cut down to 44 and adjusted swingweight accordingly. I hit them much better, straighter, longer. That's always a perennial discussion, but I think the adage that longer is better is just hype for most especially us high caps. Best, -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Driver shaft length is fueled by big brand marketing. It's the same philosophy with a 30 degree 7 iron with a cast head.

Look how far I hit that thing...........

Consistent distance and dispersion will help your score.

20 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

I am 5'8", old and a slow swinger. I have two drivers that came stock 46+ inches, advertised as adding yardage  for us amateurs. My fitter cut down to 44 and adjusted swingweight accordingly. I hit them much better, straighter, longer. That's always a perennial discussion, but I think the adage that longer is better is just hype for most especially us high caps. Best, -Marv

That seems to be the experience for a lot of people. A shorter driver is easier to hit more consistently near the sweetspot so they end up gaining more from better contact than they lose with the speed from the extra shaft length.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I have been having issues with my driver. Watched the women play and saw one gal choke her driver like 3 inches....So went to the range and choked it up an inch or so. My driver is 45"....Anyway, It feels so much lighter choked up and my contact is much more solid. Confidence is back too.

Note: This thread is 1852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!