IGNORED

Playing a Ball After a 3 Minute Search

Easytotilt
Note: This thread is 1299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In @Easytotilt case maybe he should play 2 balls, the one he found and another from the tee box with 1 stroke penalty+distance. Always calling witch one of those are their pick in case both plays are legal.

In @Lihu  case it´s a lost ball for me, if you look for your ball in the wrong place for more than 3 minutes you are toast.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

In @Lihu  case it´s a lost ball for me, if you look for your ball in the wrong place for more than 3 minutes you are toast.

Yeah, unfortunate.

I’ll have to be more thorough in my survey and maybe a bit more cognizant of how my shot feels and where they land so I don’t go looking in strange places next time. 🤪

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

As @DeadMan says, 5 minutes is quite a long time.  With the new reduced search time, I'm planning to have my phone with me to time our searches, at least for a while until we become adjusted to the "feel" of 3 minutes.

Maybe you guys are right. Searches seem to take forever whether its your lost ball or not. 

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

Most hit a provisional ball off the tee.

Some anyway. 

Guys I know are an optimistic bunch. They'll see their snap hooking skipping toward doom and assume it stopped short.

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Hopefully it will encourage more people to hit provisionals.

Indeed. That would be the biggest upside.

4 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Guys I know are an optimistic bunch. They'll see their snap hooking skipping toward doom and assume it stopped short.

I have a different phrase to describe their behavior 😂

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 months later...

I hit my second shot par 4, we look for the ball and 3 minutes elapse.  But whilst still searching within the 3 minutes, my pals discouraged me to look further at a certain direction and they insist that the ball went to the short distance to the rough. After we have given up the search and leaving the search area, my ball is identified right at the further direction where they discouraged me to look at.

Would that still be considered as a loss ball? But I found it but yes after the 3 minutes had elapsed.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Sifiso Zubuko said:

Would that still be considered as a loss ball? But I found it but yes after the 3 minutes had elapsed.

Yes.

It's your right to look wherever you like.

In fact, in 2019, a lost ball is defined as a ball not found after three minutes. (In 2018 "lost ball" had a few definitions.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Sifiso Zubuko said:

I hit my second shot par 4, we look for the ball and 3 minutes elapse.  But whilst still searching within the 3 minutes, my pals discouraged me to look further at a certain direction and they insist that the ball went to the short distance to the rough. After we have given up the search and leaving the search area, my ball is identified right at the further direction where they discouraged me to look at.

Happened to me too. Seems like 3 minutes is a really short time to be looking for a ball, but I’m guessing the new rules encourage faster play and trying to keep a ball in play.

Both wouldn’t be bad goals...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

44 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Happened to me too. Seems like 3 minutes is a really short time to be looking for a ball, but I’m guessing the new rules encourage faster play and trying to keep a ball in play.

Both wouldn’t be bad goals...

Part of the reasoning for the shorter search time is that in most cases, if the ball isn't found within a couple of minutes, it never is found.  When a ball is buried in real spinach where the only real chance of finding it is to step on it, looking for 5 minutes is just a couple of extra minutes wasted. 

I generally make a quick evaluation of the area where my ball was last seen and if the situation is pretty hopeless, I'll look for only as long as it takes for the next landing area to be clear and it's my turn to play.  Even if that's only a minute or 2, I'll abandon the search and play on with my provisional ball (although with the more generous provisions for "penalty areas" in the new rules, I may not have played a provisional, and will drop instead). 

I don't always search for the full time allowed just because the rules say that I can.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

So, the takeaway from this.

Hit a Provisional! ;-)

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 year later...

This week I hit a shot on a Par 3 and connected real well.  We saw it bounce on the green but not where it stopped.  When we got to the green, no ball to be seen.  I immediately looked in the hole, but unfortunately it was not there.  We did find it quick enough in the rough 5 feet past the green.  

If the ball had been in the hole and the time expired, is it still a lost ball or since it went in the hole the hole is complete one it is in the hole?  What if I played a drop after not finding it then found it in the hole?

Edited by StuM
added question on the rule.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

6 minutes ago, StuM said:

This week I hit a shot on a Par 3 and connected real well.  We saw it bounce on the green but not where it stopped.  When we got to the green, no ball to be seen.  I immediately looked in the hole, but unfortunately it was not there.  We did find it quick enough in the rough 5 feet past the green.  

If the ball had been in the hole and the time expired, is it still a lost ball or since it went in the hole the hole is complete one it is in the hole?  What if I played a drop after not finding it then found it in the hole?

Good question and look forward to the answer.

3 hours ago, StuM said:

The ball is not lost.  The ball is "holed" and it is over at that point.  No penalty for dropping and nothing else you do counts.  ALWAYS look in the hole.  

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 2

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I like the 3min rule, but hate that the pace of play isnt enforced on the PGA as I find it more wasteful.

I'm not sure what you would do here rules wise when balanced against pace of play in a regular round.

Edited by cutchemist42

9 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

I'm not sure what you would do here rules wise when balanced against pace of play in a regular round.

What's unclear about it?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 9/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, cutchemist42 said:

I like the 3min rule, but hate that the pace of play isnt enforced on the PGA as I find it more wasteful.

There's nothing unclear about it. I don't wear a watch when I play. I never have. I'm not going to spend forever looking for a ball. I used to make 5 passes in an area. Now I make 3. If I don't find it, I know about where it entered, local rule time (edge of the fairway + 2 strokes). 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!