IGNORED

Golf In Relation With Other Sports

Benit0
Note: This thread is 1815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just randomly ran into a guy I know who works w/ the same sports therapist as me (very random, as I'm travelling on the East Coast). He's an ATP globally ranked tennis player. I asked him about his golf game and he said he's still driving it 300+ (carry) and still shooting 140+ (he plays mbe 5-10x a year during off season only). He actually posted in TST before (on my suggestion while we were both waiting for treatments). So do tennis players make good golfers too? or at least long golfers?

Accessing memory banks I also played a few times w/ members of the San Jose spiders (prof ultimate team), they were also long as hell as I recall. And I played w/ a brazillian jujutsu instructor (coach? master?) who was also incredibly long, where I specifically remember him having a super short backswing.

For like 10 years I've been trying to get an old HS buddy into golf. He's a big karate guy, which I think would also suggest he would also be able to take up the sticks fairly easily.

It's not an exact replication, but try hitting a golf ball with your hands separated and theres something that's the cousin of the golf shot....the two motions are related.

Personally, I played hockey but as a goalie. The take above is from friends who were junior hockey players who have became decent golfers now. This is anecdotal but every hockey player I know who golfs has atleast a 260 drive with accuracy varying. 

Lastly, many summer hockey camps will include golf components as well. It's not uncommon to see players call golf, "summer hockey."

I was 10 years removed from baseball before golf but baseball is a slightly downward swing and I've heard doesnt translate well.

Lastly, Im not a tennis player but I have heard of those guys transitioning well to golf, and that they easily grasp the concept of ball flight laws.

Edited by cutchemist42

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/9/2019 at 9:32 AM, dennyjones said:

I don't know if there is a direct correlation but a lot of professional hockey players play golf with a low handicap.   For me, I'm not sure my hockey playing helped.   I play hockey left handed and golf right handed.  

I think it's the running start they get on the drives.

I got up and down three times today with my left-handed club.  I have to believe that playing hockey, and shooting left, makes that possible.  It doesn't feel weird, to me, to play short shots from the left side.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

11 minutes ago, Piz said:

I got up and down three times today with my left-handed club.  I have to believe that playing hockey, and shooting left, makes that possible.  It doesn't feel weird, to me, to play short shots from the left side.  

I think that's pretty darn cool!

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

It's not an exact replication, but try hitting a golf ball with your hands separated and theres something that's the cousin of the golf shot....the two motions are related.

Personally, I played hockey but as a goalie. The take above is from friends who were junior hockey players who have became decent golfers now. This is anecdotal but every hockey player I know who golfs has atleast a 260 drive with accuracy varying. 

Lastly, many summer hockey camps will include golf components as well. It's not uncommon to see players call golf, "summer hockey."

I was 10 years removed from baseball before golf but baseball is a slightly downward swing and I've heard doesnt translate well.

Lastly, Im not a tennis player but I have heard of those guys transitioning well to golf, and that they easily grasp the concept of ball flight laws.

A lot of pro baseball PITCHERS retire and do well at golf.  The other position players, not so much.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

This is anecdotal but every hockey player I know who golfs has atleast a 260 drive with accuracy varying. 

I play hockey left handed and golf right handed.   I wish to hit it 260!

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

20 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I play hockey left handed and golf right handed.   I wish to hit it 260!

Yeah lots of reverse happens too. Forgot where I saw it but someone was using how Phil actually has a really good arm for throwing righthanded.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:44 PM, Benit0 said:

Hi everyone.

I'm a avid hockey player, been playing since i'm 6 (now 35) and started golf in my late 20

I'm playing golf more seriously now since 2-3 years and was wondering if the practice of other sports can help/hurt your technique in golf.

I'm saying that because here in Canada, it's 6 month of snow and 6 month of golf, and after last season of golf I notice when I came back at hockey that my slapshot had improved a lot!

I haven't practice hockey at all during summer, but dedicated time for my golf swing and figured out it had help for my hockey shot.

At the same time, i've been battling a slice since i started golf and was wondering if my hockey didn't create this bad habit of out to in swing path, because in hockey it's not as relevent as in the golf swing.

Was just curious if others have found that a practice of another sport had helped them or hurt them at golf??

I don't believe any other sport will help or hinder your golf, but keeping fit obviously does help. It is so different to other sports I just don't see any cross over

- Simon Hornsby

On 5/6/2019 at 4:08 PM, cutchemist42 said:

It's more weight transfer. You want to hit a baseball off your back foot and golf you want to transfer a majority of your weight to your front foot. When I help teach junior camps in the summer its easy to spot the baseball players because they turn so much on that back foot.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:46 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

A lot of pro baseball PITCHERS retire and do well at golf.  The other position players, not so much.

Pitchers don't work on their hitting much (if at all), so they often don't have to worry about separating the mechanics. In yesteryear they had more down time to play as well. Guys like John Smoltz and Greg Maddux come to mind. They are both great golfers and were starting pitchers in a time when they only pitched once a week or maybe 3 times in two weeks.

• Informative 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 1815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!