IGNORED

Have 3-Woods/Fairway Metals Really Improved Since 2008?

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So here I am, 49 years old, still gaming a 2008 Taylor made burner 15 degree Threewood  with the stock stiff shaft. I hit that thing *really* well, but only game about 215 yards with it. My question is, has anything come out In the fairway wood department that, by the numbers, it is longer than that club? What I mean is, is there anyway to compare data between a club like that and something else that is come out that would make it worthwhile switching?  It is almost impossible for me to miss a fairway with the club,  so I am just wondering if any of the new stuff  has technology that is that much better. I am not looking to gain another 20 yards with it, but I also don't wanna leave anything on the table if that makes sense. I suppose I could take my Threewood down to the PGA superstore near me, get in the bay with it, and look at the numbers compared to the newer stuff, I was just curious about everyone else's thoughts on it. Thanks!

20 hours ago, TxGolfDude said:

So here I am, 49 years old, still gaming........

I am still hitting fairway woods that are 2007 Callaway Big Bertha myself. Like you I am getting older (really you're still a kid!), and I'm losing a little distance and want to find equipment that will get some distance back. I bought some Tour Edge Hot Launch fairway woods last year and I couldn't hit them no matter what I did. I got a good deal and decided to give them a go but sold them for half of what I bought them for and went back to my Callaways.

I agree, go find the nearest TrackMan center and hit 3woods until your hands bleed. Either that or go pay for a custom fitting for fairway woods with one of the custom fitting centers like Club Champion or True Spec. I myself am in need of new irons (the heads are wearing) and so I am headed to True Spec. I could not find anything about them out here so I will start a new post letting everyone know how it goes.

Lastly, I got to believe that technology has advanced enough over these past 10 years, especially in the shafts of today, that there has got to be an advantage over clubs built 10years ago, but I have no science or data behind that to offer.

I remember when the Taylormade Rocketballz came out years ago. I have a friend who is a 2 handicap and has won the state am. twice and the senior state am twice who said he thought they should be illegal!

• Like 1

No. I was using a titleist 906F up until a couple years ago when the face finally cracked. I use a 915F now and notice no huge difference in performance between the two at a all. The old one might have been even a little better. 

25 minutes ago, HonestyPolicy said:

I remember when the Taylormade Rocketballz came out years ago. I have a friend who is a 2 handicap and has won the state am. twice and the senior state am twice who said he thought they should be illegal!

I bought them last year and I agree with you that they are long!!! I gained 15 yards compare to my oldest iron set. Granted the loft is boosted but they go higher than my older set also!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Benit0 said:

I bought them last year and I agree with you that they are long!!! I gained 15 yards compare to my oldest iron set. Granted the loft is boosted but they go higher than my older set also!

I was speaking of the Rocketballz fairway woods, but yes I've heard the irons were long too. 🙂

20 hours ago, TxGolfDude said:

So here I am, 49 years old, still gaming a 2008 Taylor made burner 15 degree Threewood  with the stock stiff shaft. I hit that thing *really* well, but only game about 215 yards with it. My question is, has anything come out In the fairway wood department that, by the numbers, it is longer than that club? What I mean is, is there anyway to compare data between a club like that and something else that is come out that would make it worthwhile switching?  It is almost impossible for me to miss a fairway with the club,  so I am just wondering if any of the new stuff  has technology that is that much better. I am not looking to gain another 20 yards with it, but I also don't wanna leave anything on the table if that makes sense. I suppose I could take my Threewood down to the PGA superstore near me, get in the bay with it, and look at the numbers compared to the newer stuff, I was just curious about everyone else's thoughts on it. Thanks!

I will answer this question they way any good politician would answer it. YES and NO.

Dramatic improvement, probably not. I use to game the very same 3 wood you have today. It is/was a really good 3 wood. There's enough new stuff out there though that it's worth taking a look. 

My feeling on it is that the rules of golf prevent manufacturers from making anything truly revolutionary. You may be able to better mitigate mishits with some of the newer stuff. But a perfectly struck shot on your 3 wood will be pretty similar to a perfectly struck shot on other 3 woods. (That is assuming it's fit correctly for you.) 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

TXGolfDude,

Here also is a link to the 2018 MyGolfSpy article rating 3 woods for 2018. Given it's 2019 now I'm sure any improved technology between now and 2018 is almost immeasurable, although I'm sure you'll find marketing pitches that contradict that.

24 Fariway Woods, 20 Testers, the largest unbiased head-to-head 3 wood test in the world.

Short Story is #1 = Exoitics CBx, #2 = Callaway Rogue, #3 = Callaway Rogue SubZero, and there are many others included.

I always take these types of things with a grain of salt. "The Best" tend to come from some method of aggregating the data of the test results and the only thing I can be sure of is that my results will almost surely aggregate differently. Then of course there is always the argument of how much a particular company might have "donated" to this test group and how that might influence the results. Also I believe the right shaft is a big variable in anyone's swing  but I could not find what shaft manufacturer was used in the testing so I have to  assume they used what ever the stock shaft was that came in the club (noting that sometimes there can be different shafts used within the same year by the same club manufacturer).  

Still this information is very interesting, and although it does not answer your question how much better they are than your 2008 gamer, you might take your gamer and try some of these clubs in the list to see how they compare.

Good Luck!

Edited by HonestyPolicy
Needed to add about shafts
  • Like 1

In the last 15 years, a lot of work has been done on fairway wood heads. This includes moving around FWvcog.jpg.17947740232e461cab9e268c9291b0fe.jpgthe center of gravity (see diagram of RBZ Stage 2 FW). 1. Higher and more forward leads to lower spin, more penetrating shot. This works best for golfers with high clubhead speed. 2. Lower and more rearward leads to higher spin and higher launch, which can maximize distance for the average golfer. 

In 2006, Tour Edge launched the Exotics line of FW. Exotics

image.png.6ebbd4c844587b4383f7a7ed50ead731.pngused titanium cup-face, and steel maraging (removes dead weight from hitting area) to develop some very hot FWs and hybrids. This year's EXS model uses a new high-density carbon steel alloy

Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno and Ping likewise developed FWs with a variety of head options.

Of course, the FW works best if you fit it with a shaft that matches your swing.

Go to a demo day, and do a side-by-side with your 3W and others. And, if you carry a single FW, also try 4Ws. Many players - including some big hitters - get more out of a 4W than a 3W. This depends in part on how you come into the ball.

• Like 2

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond! 

I got into one of the demo bays at the PGA superstore and.

The numbers were quite astounding.

I put my 2008 Taylormade Burner, which I hit very well, up against the following and here were the averages after 5 good shots with each, from worst performing to best, all at neutral settings where adjustable:

2008 Taylormade Burner 15 deg: Launch angle: 14.6 Ball speed: 126 Carry: 205 Total: 219 Spin: 3412 (WOW)

Titelist TS3 set at 15 deg: Launch Angle: 15.1 Ball Speed: 129 Carry: 211 Total: 229 Spin: 2837  (I hit this the worst in my opinion, didn't like it at all)

Callaway Epic Flash set at 15 deg: Launch angle: 14.9 Ball Speed: 129  Carry: 216 Total: 233 Spin 2684 (I like this one & actually thought this would be the winner before he gave me the numbers)

THE WINNER: Taylormade M6 15 deg: Launch angle: 14.8 Ball Speed: 131 Carry: 222 Total: 239 Spin: 2782 

I still can't hardly believe it.

I never thought there could be that much of a difference between my old burner and the new stuff, as I know *most* of the manufacturers are all about the hype. 

I'm no scientist, so make of it what you will.

I hit about 35 shots total to get those 20 numbers, because I wanted good hits for the data. 

The guy at the PGA Superstore was supercool about it when I explained what I wanted to do, and would instantly erase a bad hit to preclude it from the data (toe, pull, etc). 

All of these shots were within 8 yds of the centerline on the foreflight, all hit from the mat.

For me, this was a lot of fun as I hadn't really been much of a 'numbers' guy before this.

My thoughts on getting a new fairway wood?

Tough call, believe it or not.

First off, even though I hit it the best, I absolutely *hate* what that Taylormade M6 looks like at address....a head that looks like a bubble with a matte finish and an orange line around it...but how do you turn down 17 yards of carry, right?!?

Also, I have the Burner 5 & 7 woods that fill yardage gaps nicely when I replaced my long irons...if I go with the M6, I lose my 200-220 yard club, which is a big deal since I just got kicked up to A flight by the national office in the GolfWeek Amateur tour (8.6 handicap now), which mean blue tees for the foreseeable future. That means longer shots into the long par fours.

I can now see how easy it is to go down the rabbit hole on this stuff.

Lastly, there's the $299 price tag...ouch!

So...rather than asking you what you think *I* should do, I'd like to hear what *you* would do!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am going to demo the Tour Edge clubs next...from some of the stuff I've been reading, they may just give me an excuse to drop $1,500 and replace all of my woods lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd demo the Cobra fairway woods. That's what I did and I ended up buying one. BTW - I totally agree with how the Taylormade looks at address. In my bag right now is a Cobra F9 3-wood. Might be worth a look for you. 

Good job, by the way, comparing your current to what's available. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'd demo the Cobra fairway woods. That's what I did and I ended up buying one. BTW - I totally agree with how the Taylormade looks at address. In my bag right now is a Cobra F9 3-wood. Might be worth a look for you. 

Good job, by the way, comparing your current to what's available. 

Thanks for the heads up, and yes, it's pretty cool to be able to compare the technology these days!

• iacas changed the title to Have 3-Woods/Fairway Metals Really Improved Since 2008?

Just a thought.  You said that you discarded poor contact shots.  Well, the woods can be weighted for increased distance versus increased forgiveness, right?  What if you are talking about a club with the weight in the center for length, but which you will be sending fewer shots where you aim?  I can't stand dealing with nonfacts.  I would need to know this stuff before shelling out good money on a club you may turn out to hate.

Edited by Cantankerish
poor choice of words

@TxGolfDude - The first thing I need to know about is how many clubs are there in your bag.  If the new 3 wood is just replacing the old 3 wood, then distances need to be considered.  If you can just add the new 3 wood and keep the rest of the clubs, the decision is easier.

Second, what is the distance gap between your current driver and the new 3 wood.  If it isn't much, or lengths are the same, which one would you be willing to drop from your bag.  Or would you look at a new driver to increase that length.

Third, what is the dispersion with the newer 3 wood. Is it as good as your gamer.  If not, distance isn't everything.  Being in the fairway 10 to 20 yards shorter is better than being in the rough.  You can always play better from the fairway.

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 hours ago, TxGolfDude said:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond! 

I got into one of the demo bays at the PGA superstore and.

The numbers were quite astounding.

I put my 2008 Taylormade Burner, which I hit very well, up against the following and here were the averages after 5 good shots with each, from worst performing to best, all at neutral settings where adjustable:

2008 Taylormade Burner 15 deg: Launch angle: 14.6 Ball speed: 126 Carry: 205 Total: 219 Spin: 3412 (WOW)

Titelist TS3 set at 15 deg: Launch Angle: 15.1 Ball Speed: 129 Carry: 211 Total: 229 Spin: 2837  (I hit this the worst in my opinion, didn't like it at all)

Callaway Epic Flash set at 15 deg: Launch angle: 14.9 Ball Speed: 129  Carry: 216 Total: 233 Spin 2684 (I like this one & actually thought this would be the winner before he gave me the numbers)

THE WINNER: Taylormade M6 15 deg: Launch angle: 14.8 Ball Speed: 131 Carry: 222 Total: 239 Spin: 2782 

I still can't hardly believe it.

I never thought there could be that much of a difference between my old burner and the new stuff, as I know *most* of the manufacturers are all about the hype. 

I'm no scientist, so make of it what you will.

I hit about 35 shots total to get those 20 numbers, because I wanted good hits for the data. 

The guy at the PGA Superstore was supercool about it when I explained what I wanted to do, and would instantly erase a bad hit to preclude it from the data (toe, pull, etc). 

All of these shots were within 8 yds of the centerline on the foreflight, all hit from the mat.

For me, this was a lot of fun as I hadn't really been much of a 'numbers' guy before this.

My thoughts on getting a new fairway wood?

Tough call, believe it or not.

First off, even though I hit it the best, I absolutely *hate* what that Taylormade M6 looks like at address....a head that looks like a bubble with a matte finish and an orange line around it...but how do you turn down 17 yards of carry, right?!?

Also, I have the Burner 5 & 7 woods that fill yardage gaps nicely when I replaced my long irons...if I go with the M6, I lose my 200-220 yard club, which is a big deal since I just got kicked up to A flight by the national office in the GolfWeek Amateur tour (8.6 handicap now), which mean blue tees for the foreseeable future. That means longer shots into the long par fours.

I can now see how easy it is to go down the rabbit hole on this stuff.

Lastly, there's the $299 price tag...ouch!

So...rather than asking you what you think *I* should do, I'd like to hear what *you* would do!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am going to demo the Tour Edge clubs next...from some of the stuff I've been reading, they may just give me an excuse to drop $1,500 and replace all of my woods lol.

Sounds like you had fun as well as gained some insight. I always find it a lot of fun to hit clubs and see the results but also find it's hard to find a shop that will allow you to spend that kind of time in the bay hitting. 17 yards of carry is a nice gain from just an equipment change and as far as the cost, don't think of it like it's $300, think of it more like it's only $17.65 a yard :-)

Question: Were you able to change shafts as well or were you hitting whatever shaft was in the demo club? Just wondering if the shaft might have had some effect on your results and/or if you were able to isolate that variable or not.

Keep us informed of the Tour Edge/Exotics results. It would be really interesting to see your results on those vs the data you've already posted. 

• Like 1

My Callaway XR16 seems to have a better flight than my old Diablo.

I can’t hit either of them as well as my hybrid flight and consistency wise, but the newer one is better head to head on the driving range.

Edited by Lihu
  • Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, TxGolfDude said:

Something seems off with these numbers.  I'm not calling you out or questioning your ability or anything by the way.  I'm purely looking at the numbers, and I hope you play what works for you.  That said, to me, your ball speed is far too low to hit a carry of 222.  Perhaps it was a typo, but given the other ball speeds you listed, I think not.  You'd need to hit about 10 more mph of ball speed to get a carry of 220ish at that launch angle and spin.  I hit my 3w with similar-ish launch angle but with 148 ballspeed/with similar spin to a tune of 235 carry.  Sometimes the carry will jump if I catch a low 2k spin ball.  Anyway, you may want to double check these numbers and what kind of launch monitor you were on, because the numbers, to me, just don't add up.  Regardless, best of luck and play well this year.

• Like 1

The short answer is yes!

I played that exact club for a long time and loved it, but I have moved on two generations since then, and my results are better for having done so.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Tax, I really like the exotics CBX. But in testing, I found that most brand name, Callaway, Ping, ....were really close with the same shaft. I chose the CBX for certain tee shots and par 5s that didn’t require a quick stop. It does have a few 100 less rpm ( for me). 

More than that, I like the classic look. 

Bad news. $299 won’t touch it.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!