IGNORED

Why are putters so expensive

Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Because Scotty knows you'll pay for it...From Golf Digest:

The price points on my putters are relatively high, but you aren't just buying performance. You're buying confidence. It's human nature to have greater faith in something you've paid a premium for. On the other hand, the putters I make had better deliver, because if a $5 putter you grab out of a barrel performs better than a putter that costs $275, we both know which one you'll pick

http://golfdigest.com/features/index...601myshot.html

You only buy american? If you are using a computer to type these messages, I doubt that is true. Shoule we start an anti/pro globalization thread?

I made no reference to other products outside of the golf realm.

If you want to debate globalization I'm sure there's a message board out there somewhere that would probably be more appropriate for that discussion; maybe even elsewhere here.
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

Because Scotty knows you'll pay for it...

Consider Scotty putters as luxury items, like a plasma television, or a dinner at a fancy restaurant, or a Lexus. Particularly the Lexus -- for some models, they're basically selling rebranded Camry's, and charging a premium for it. What does the buyer get? A feeling of exclusivity and confidence that he feels he earned. You don't need a plasma television to watch the game, you don't need to eat dinner at that fancy restaurant, and you don't need a Lexus to get you from point A to B. But consumers spend money on all these things, because sometimes you want to reward yourself with something beautiful.

Scotty's putters are essentially the same concept, in that you're buying that feeling of exclusivity and confidence. You don't need a Cameron putter to sink a putt. But when you know you have a state-of-the-art tool in your hands, that's automatic confidence built right into the club. That's what you're paying for.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I just read this and I'm thiking Tiger may have some OCD issues, who the hell notices paper thickness differences from 4-5'?

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I just read this and I'm thiking Tiger may have some OCD issues, who the hell notices paper thickness differences from 4-5'?

There are many professional athletes that are hyper-sensitive in regards to their equipment. Tiger's been hitting the same specs on his club since his college days so he's really in tune with his gear.

Lance Armstrong is another one that comes to mind, his is know to tell if his seat is off by a cm. If fact some of the guys on his team tweaked his bike several times to see if he could really tell the difference or not. On every occasion he road down the road only to turn around and ask who messed with his bike. Back to this thread, like Rusty and others have pointed out your buying mental confidence. People often perceive quality with cost. In reading Karten Solheims biography there is a similar story as to why Ping putter and irons were so expensive when they were first came out.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Consider Scotty putters as luxury items, like a plasma television, or a dinner at a fancy restaurant, or a Lexus. Particularly the Lexus -- for some models, they're basically selling rebranded Camry's, and charging a premium for it. What does the buyer get? A feeling of exclusivity and confidence that he feels he earned. You don't need a plasma television to watch the game, you don't need to eat dinner at that fancy restaurant, and you don't need a Lexus to get you from point A to B. But consumers spend money on all these things, because sometimes you want to reward yourself with something beautiful.

Just to get us back on track, the original intent of the post was revolving around non-custom putters. I was focusing on things like the $200 Tri-ball SRT, or the Ping Crazy G2i, the PVC laden Nickent Pipe. I'd imagine a better analogy for the cammeron would be a Ferrari which is hand crafted. Car analagies are good, but you can see real data for a BMW M5 vs a Toyota Corolla, why don't we any data for cheap putters? The answer is that the manufacturer has to pay for that data, and I guess it is a big marketing win for golf manufacturers to make people think you need to spend > $150 for a good putter.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I agree in essence to what you are saying, and personally don't have issues with people buying expensive putters, drivers, or nail clippers...however, the one issue would be with the lexus, fancy dinner, etc. you are paying for an enhanced service, be it better tasting food or a smoother ride. But does a scotty enhance your putting ability? I would argue that for the average weekend golfer it would actually be a detriment.

Golf equipment is relatively cheap, no matter what you get, if within reason, and you keep it a few seasons or more and use it. To me the overwhelming cost cost of golf is the green and cart fees which make it very expensive if you play regularly. Thus, I would worry over a $200 putter if I thought it would help lower my scores in my $125 rounds.

But does a scotty enhance your putting ability? I would argue that for the average weekend golfer it would actually be a detriment.

I completely disagree with this statement. With two kids, one of which being a 4 month old, I am now the essence of the "average weekend golfer". I went from an Odessy White Hot mallet to the Scotty Cameron Futura and I immediately cut my 3 putts down substancially.

In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

I agree with everyone! Esthetics do matter, confidence matters. But if your point of view is that quantifiable performance matters most, then it is very difficult to justify an expensive putter, or even one that is new. This no different than any product. Clothes, cars, houses, caviar, cigars. If I can afford it I enjoy it. If I can't I take comfort in the knowledge that I am not really giving much away. If I win the lottery I may well become a golf gourmet though

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

When I bought my putter what I paid for was the opportunity to try out every putter in the shop, and have tape put on several so I could try them on the green, and play with them for a long time til one of them just seemed the best. I actually feel stupid having paid as much as I did (Odyssey white steel 2-ball). Will not do that for the other clubs. But felt it was really important to get the feeling of the different putters and find the one that was best for me -- that's what I paid for, not the putter.

• 2 months later...
This right here would keep me from buying it... Ever.

TaylorMade drivers and fairway woods I know are made in China. Not sure of the others. I think Cleveland stuff is too. Better check your bag.

Ping on the other hand is not

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

• 9 years later...
On 8/17/2006 at 8:54 AM, Rusty2228 said:

The price points on my putters are relatively high, but you aren't just buying performance. You're buying confidence. It's human nature to have greater faith in something you've paid a premium for. On the other hand, the putters I make had better deliver, because if a $5 putter you grab out of a barrel performs better than a putter that costs $275, we both know which one you'll pick

http://golfdigest.com/features/index...601myshot.html

This is a nutty quote, lol.  I wonder if he thought this through before saying it.

So . .he's saying that we buy the expensive one because we think the expensive one is better.  But his putters have to perform at least better than a $5 dollar putter.  Not that you'd ever know because you'd dismiss the $5 dollar putter because you already think the expensive one is better.

So - he just said . .I make my putters expensive because you are so stupid that is actually what makes you buy them. 

I always thought all clubs were expensive to help offset the endorsements paid to the pros. 

Scotty Camerons were mentioned above. I have 3 of them in my garage under several years of dust. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Not all putters are expensive.  When you consider the average new driver is $400, a $350 Scotty isn't that expensive.  

Joe Paradiso

On 8/16/2006 at 5:04 PM, greenail said:

Um, why would you even buy any gear like a CNC machine, you could outsource the whole thing to china via email, you just need a cad mockup of the design, payment and a shipping address. I read that cameron pays the Pro players 60k/year to play with his kit, anyone else heard this?

As for paying what you pay for a driver, I'm thinking that is not quite accurate. The putter head is not traveling at high speeds, with tons of torque, and I can see how driver tech could cost a bit more. My driver was $99 and I love it. I think I am going to check out some of the tour edge putters, perhaps I'll like one of the $40 models.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people wanting to pay lots of money for a custom designed/manufactured "work of art", I'm talking more about the mass produced stuff.

Well said! Why do you think Nike Air Jordan's used to cost so much? Or any Nike gear for that matter? It was the bucks they were shelling out for their endorsers!

can't really say why, other than people keep paying it.

There is one putter that is mighty tempting right now; Odyssey 2 Ball Fang.

Test drove one the other day and all I gots to say is wow!  But not $249 worth of wow.

20 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Not all putters are expensive.  When you consider the average new driver is $400, a $350 Scotty isn't that expensive.  

It's pretty true that the putter is going to be more used than any other club in the bag, so the higher cost should make more sense. However, if you get someone a $350 Scotty but keep it completely devoid of any banding and give them a $100 putter of the same style I'm pretty positive they'd never even know which one costs over 3x the price. Whereas, if you give someone a $100 driver unbranded and an unbranded/badged new $400 driver I think they'd probably be more likely to know which one is the one that costs more.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!