IGNORED

Hole in One - Do You Buy Drinks?

colin007
Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hole in One  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Did/Would you buy the drinks after an ace?

• Yes - I did/would buy a round for everyone in the clubhouse
    • No - I didn't/wouldn't buy a round for everyone in the clubhouse

so, tradition says you are supposed to buy drinks for everyone in the clubhouse when you make an ace. the question is, if you had an ace, did you buy the drinks for everyone? or if you havent made one, would you buy the drinks hypothetically if you made one in the future?

full disclosure - i made an ace a few years ago and i did not buy drinks in the clubhouse. i bought drinks for the 2 other guys that were with me (my friends) who witnessed it, but i didnt announce that i made an ace when we went to the clubhouse cos people would have been hounding me to buy their drinks. i have never been one who agreed with that "tradition".

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Everyone in your group? Yes.

Everyone in the clubhouse? No.
Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

Unfortunately, we don't get any money prize for shooting an ace, so no, I would not buy drinks for everyone in the clubhouse. Would perhaps depend on how many was there. 3-4 people would not be a problem, but 10+ and we are talking some money. Not everyone can afford or want to put their money in drinks for a bunch of people, it is something I understand very much.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

this goes back to when golf was played by solely the upper-classes, it's not like that any more so no I wouldn't I would for the people I was playing with though.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Everyone in your group? Yes.

Agreed. And they wouldn't have to share the one beer!

Tools of the trade: Red=Pics
2.0 Push Cart
V14 Club Count Cart Bag
Driver - Nike SQ Dymo 2 HL w/Cleveland Headcover
Fairway Wood - Hibore XLS 5 WoodHybrids - Hibore 3,4,5Irons - CG Gold 6-PWWedges - CG14 52 & 60 CG15 - 56 Degree Custom Squareback 1

i'll be damned if i'm gonna buy drinks for a bunch of rag-tags i don't even know; half of whom don't even actually play golf, they just chip balls and put then get wasted with the other old men.

Yes and no. I did for my first one because I made it in the Club Championship in 1989, got half of a $2400 pot. Two of us aced the same hole 20 minutes apart, so we split the $400 bar tab.

My 2nd one was during casual play with people I didn't even know before meeting them on the first tee, so I just slipped out to the parking lot and drove away. I don't feel obligated to buy drinks for a crowd of strangers. If I had been playing with friends, then I would have probably suggested that we go to a local bar where we often go after playing... but not to the clubhouse bar.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

yes but since im under 18 everyone would get a pint ........................................................................................ a pint of tap water

i'll be damned if i'm gonna buy drinks for a bunch of rag-tags i don't even know; half of whom don't even actually play golf, they just chip balls and put then get wasted with the other old men.

LMAO. Sounds like our clubhouse bars are similar.

Driver: Adams 9032LS 9.5* - 45" - Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
3 Wood: Adams FAST 10 15* - 43" - Aldila Wasabi 70S
2-Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* - DGS300 
Irons: Mizuno MP-68 3-PW - DGS300
Wedges: Mizuno MPT-11 54* and 60*Putter: PING Redwood Anser Black Nickel 340g, 34"Ball: Titleist ProV1Bag: Mizuno...

If I did it during a club tournament (we have 24-32 people show once a month) I certainly would for our membership only . The club spots you $300 so that pays for the drinks and more, I bet.

Otherwise, not a chance. That's an old tradition and has nothing to do with being gentlemanly or fair - it was just something the rich buddies did to/for one another.

When I think about the drunk idiots who barfly at the clubhouse (some even have heckled me while I am chipping/putting on 18 at ONE course), monopolize the bartender when I am trying to get a quick to-go drink or dog at the turn, play liars' dice at 100 decibels....I would never, ever, buy any one of them a drink even if I got paid 2-1 for doing so. I hate those jerks. And 'those jerks' are at almost every public course.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

No!

I probably would for the people I was playing with, but not to for the whole clubhouse

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Poll answer - No, not for the clubhouse.

For my group, yes even if they're strangers.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

When I got mine, it was rainy, and the only people on the course or in the clubhouse were myself, the 2 guys I was playing with, and the guy running the course... so I did purchase drinks for us all... but if there were more there, not a chance. For the people in my group, definitely.

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

My hole in ones have come on public courses. I really saw no reason to buy drinks for 20-50 strangers. If I had one in league or belonged to a private course I might have felt differntly.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

LMAO, how do you really feel about it???

you bet I did... last year believe it or not (+3.5 handicap) In April... I was out with the pro... I was playing the 160 yard seventh at my home course... I holed a 5-iron on the fly...(25 mile an hour wind) I got back to the house they're were three people in the bar... i closed the place on $27.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!