IGNORED

What tee box do you play from?

Philip9210
Note: This thread is 5038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Red? White? Blue? Which do you play from? Personally I play from the blue because even though I shoot 110 on avg. I feel I'm cheating myself if I play from any closer.

I'm not trying to flame you but if you shoot 110 on average why are you making it harder on yourself? Part of the problem of slow play is people who play tees beyond their skill level which slows play down for everyone behind them.

I have no problem with people whose skill justify playing from the back tees but playing behind someone who isn't capable of reaching the green in regulation with any regularity is painful.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handicap limits to tee boxes would've been great. Saying that you had to get below a given handicap in order to play harder tees. When you get below that handicap, you are allowed to choose from the easier ones too, but not the harder ones.

This would maybe speed up play a deal. I've seen hackers, in justice of the term, play from champion tees.

How well you play on various lengths is a result of your ball-striking ability. Usually when people get down to handicap 10, they have somewhat decent ball-striking and distance. Maybe 10 would be the limit for the hardest set of tees.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We have :

Whites: competition/handicap only.
Yellow: Men.
Red: Ladies.

In my Sport II cart bag or my R9 stand bag
Irons-Tour burner R/5-Sw,60 lob wedge z groove
Driver-R9 Supertri R/10.5
09 Hybrid #3 R/19
09 Hybrid #4 R/22Putter-Method 001,Length : 34 Ball-Those round white ones...

My course has four sets of tees: Red- front White Blue and Gold (tips). I generally play the golds

BAG UNDER 4 inferno red/white
DRIVER TOUR SS 310 BETA TITANIUM 10.5
3-WOOD SZ HYPER STEEL
HYBRID 503 H 19*
IRONS TA7 WEDGES OIL CAN 52 AND 56 PUTTER M4-L

White. I've played from Blues a couple times and had a difficult time with my 2nd shots. Instead of it being a nice mid-iron into the green it would be a long iron or even hybrid. I know, looking at the tee boxes usually makes you think "ah what the hell, they are only 15 yards apart". But for players like myself, it is more than just yardage. A lot of times they force a more difficult tee shot in order to get on the fairway.

I'm out there to enjoy myself and have fun.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

The courses I play the most aren't that long so I often play from the blues. It's not lack of length that hurts my scores, it's inaccuracy, inability to consistently get up and down and 3-putts. The longest course I regularly play is 6700 from the blue and I've shot the same score there as on a much shorter course - 5600 yds. When I go to a much harder, or longer course I try to stick to the equivalent of the white tees whatever color that is.

If im practicing i will tee it up as far back as possible on every hole, so when i am playing with someone else in a tournament or for fun i let them pick the tees, and no matter what its easier for me because ive already played the holes as hard as they can be

My bag:
Driver: 909D2
3-Wood: 909F2
Iron: AP2 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey 52, 56, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 35"

• 2 months later...
Does this ever happen to anyone else out there? I play golf with a lot of my buddies that are mixed handicaps that ultimately should be playing from different tees when it comes down to it. A couple of them are a 3 and a 4 handicap but the others are about a 10 and 17. When I pay $65+ for a round of golf at a nice course, I'd like to play the tees as far back as possible, however that's not always the best fit for the 17 hcp guy, obviously. I do like to accomodate everyone, but not every single time, especially on the nicer courses we may not play that often. Am I wrong to suggest every once in awhile we play the back tees?

Another note on that topic is why my friends that are 2-4 handicaps are afraid to play the back tees. When I bring it up, they seem shocked and very skeptical about trying it on whatever course we're playing. I don't get it. If you have the game for it, why would people not want to play the entire course that we paid for? As you can tell, I'm not a fan of settling for anything easy on the course.

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

The furthest back I can. I'm relatively long compared to the average players around me so I always felt like I should play from the back. Plus, being shorter doesn't make it that much easier to score.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They (your friends) probably don't want to play the back tees because they're worried about putting up big numbers and the stigma that comes with it. I've played rounds from the blues and had friends play from the whites, just as if I play with a woman she'll hit from the red/forward tees and I'll hit from blue/white. Most of the times I play from the whites.

I'm not going to comment on which tees you choose to play, but 9 holes in 90 minutes as a single is pretty slow. A golfer should be able to play 18 holes on a Championshiop course by themselves in about 2 hours, assuming no one in front of them.

LOL.. 90 minutes in just fine for walking. What do you do run? Plus there is nearly always someone in front of you if you play as a single.

I play from the furthest back because I want to get better. Those who tee up closer are too content in their playing. And landing a long iron into the green is much more rewarding than a wedge.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

I've been playing the tips lately and pushing 7000 yards because I have been out with my teenage son who is playing competitive golf. But it's hard for me - 488 yard par 4's feel like work.

My preference would be whatever tees = 6300 to 6500 yards or so.

Normally, if the course isn't over 7000 yards, I'll play from the tips. But if it gets to around 6900 to 7300, and the rating/slope are high, then I'll just hit the blue tees. I have never played from the white/womens, except when I first started.

In the bag:
Driver: 907 D2/Proforce V2 R-flex
Hybrid: Burner '07 3 Hybrid/Re-Ax Shaft/19* (4* draw bias)
Irons: AP1 4-7i
AP2 8-PWedges: Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52.06/56.11) VR Forged Chrome 60.06Putter: Ignite 001 Ball: Pro V1/ One Tour/

I don't understand why it is a big deal to play from different tees with different people. I have played with a scratch golfer who hit from the blues and I did not mind letting him hit first every hole. (and yes he still out drove me every hole). And when I play with my girlfriend or her step dad, they hit from the forward tees and I hit from the whites (and yes they outdrive me every hole too). Of course if you are playing for money I could see it making a difference...

My course is weird, as it goes (from shortest to longest) green white blue gold. That being said, I play blues when flying solo, but most people I get paired with, or go out with play whites, so I probably play more whites then blues.

Edit: Whilst looking at my most recent score card, I spied a small box that tells me what tees to play from for giving handicaps..

gold 0-5
Blue 6-15
White 15-25
Green- 25+/Womens

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

My home course is a par 71 and has a tee set from 6100 yards, 6600 and a little over 6800...

I generally play the 6600 Gold Tees...It makes the course a challenge, yet fun. The black 6800 can get pretty darn challenging, but I'm going to have to go back there for the Club Champ. Saturday anyway.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Whites, but from nearly every course Ive played, there would be little difference.

My drives will put me in wedge position on the same par 4's, the 5's wont be a different approach, ill still lay up to within 100 for 3rd stroke.

Now the par 3's will make a difference, the extra 20 yards might add 2 strokes per round.

Note: This thread is 5038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!