IGNORED

Hank Haney's Book "The Big Miss" about his time teaching Tiger

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

LOL... This book sounds like it is going to be garbage...Here is an excerpt from Haneys book per an article I read online today:

"Tiger was seriously considering becoming a Navy SEAL. I didn't know how he'd go about it, but when he talked about it, it was clear he had a plan....I thought, Wow, here is Tiger Woods, greatest athlete on the planet, maybe the greatest athlete ever, right in the middle of his prime, basically ready to leave it all behind for a military life."

There are a few more here: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-02/photos-woods-haney-book#slide=1 .

I agree with the general sentiment you've expressed above. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

There are a few more here: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2012-02/photos-woods-haney-book#slide=1 .

I agree with the general sentiment you've expressed above. :)

Yeah like this one below, not exactly a revelation, Tiger's been saying this ever since he turned pro

Quote:
"One of the adjectives most often used to describe Tiger Woods was fearless. But the more I observed him close up, the more it became clear he wasn't," Haney writes. "Sometimes, to make it less of a big deal, he'd remind me that he had never considered himself a particularly good driver, at least in comparison with the rest of his game. 'That's why my name is Woods,' he'd joke. 'Maybe it would have been different if I'd been named Fairway."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is an interesting dilemma as Tiger's agent went on to speak about violating trust. Tiger shouldn't ever comment to the press about trust because he wouldn't be able to answer the obvious follow-up questions about his breaking of trust that would surely follow. I know that the public wants to move on especially if South Florida is any indication of the rest of the world. Tiger and company should realize that this book by Haney is best dealt with by ignoring its presence. The hype will be over in 15 minutes unless he or his agent wants to prolong it by responding.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

This book is Hank's take on his time with Tiger ... his observations, opinions, and what he says occurred.

Nothing more...

It may reflect on Tiger, but it is Hank's reality or opinion, not Tiger's.

To put it in perspective, it's no big deal. If I were Tiger's agent, I'd just say it's Hank's opinion and his version of reality ... nothing more.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

To put it in perspective, it's no big deal. If I were Tiger's agent, I'd just say it's Hank's opinion and his version of reality ... nothing more.

Exactly, the more credence you give it, the more you help him sell books. He should not waste anymore time responding to this nonsense.

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Haney has no business writing a book about his time as a coach with TIger Woods unless Woods gives him permission. He was an instructor and Woods was his student. That is a trust relationship that needs to be honored.

This is exactly what Tiger has to avoid saying...politically and from a marketing standpoint, Tiger is regaining marketshare and fan base and any comments should avoid the words "trust, relationship, and honored" for obvious reasons. Let the talking heads say it...and the guys on the forums.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoballmarker

Haney has no business writing a book about his time as a coach with TIger Woods unless Woods gives him permission. He was an instructor and Woods was his student. That is a trust relationship that needs to be honored.

This is exactly what Tiger has to avoid saying...politically and from a marketing standpoint, Tiger is regaining marketshare and fan base and any comments should avoid the words "trust, relationship, and honored" for obvious reasons. Let the talking heads say it...and the guys on the forums.

I laughed. He might not be the only guy in golf who doesn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended) when it comes to relationships built on trust, but he's pretty near the top of the list.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by photoballmarker

I didn't realize there was such a thing as "golf teacher-client" confidentiality. And I doubt that Woods' relationship with Haney had any more "trust" than was evident with his wife. As in NONE.

There isn't golf teacher-client confidentiality as there is with lawyers and doctors.  Most people in the public eye have non-disclosure / confidentiality agreements signed when they hire people to work with them, especially if their relationship provides the person hired with access to their personal life.  Tiger executed these type of agreements with Harmon, not sure why he didn't with Haney.

Haney may be legally justified in writing the book, but it makes him look bad like just another person cashing in on Tigers name.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

I didn't realize there was such a thing as "golf teacher-client" confidentiality. And I doubt that Woods' relationship with Haney had any more "trust" than was evident with his wife. As in NONE.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I laughed. He might not be the only guy in golf who doesn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended) when it comes to relationships built on trust, but he's pretty near the top of the list.

So two wrongs make a right?

Or because Tiger treated his wife like crap, others get to do the same to him?

Bah. If a guy shares private thoughts with you, and considers you a friend, it's pretty sad to turn around and profit from sharing those privately shared stories and details. Hank made plenty - and continues to make plenty - of money off Tiger Woods.

Two wrongs do not make a right in my book.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

So two wrongs make a right?

Or because Tiger treated his wife like crap, others get to do the same to him?

Bah. If a guy shares private thoughts with you, and considers you a friend, it's pretty sad to turn around and profit from sharing those privately shared stories and details. Hank made plenty - and continues to make plenty - of money off Tiger Woods.

Two wrongs do not make a right in my book.

Let me start by say that even though the term "relationship built on trust" made me chuckle, two (or fourteen) wrongs don't certainly don't make a right. I think "tell all" books are usually lame. People write them all the time, and I don't care for any of them, but this book is about a golfer and this is a golf forum so I'm not about to go off on a tirade about tell alls or unauthorized biographies in general. Okay, maybe I just did.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Haney may be legally justified in writing the book, but it makes him look bad like just another person cashing in on Tigers name.

Exactly what you said.  There's no express duty of confidentiality here but there sure as heck was a strongly implied one. You just don't do this sort of thing.

As a huge Tiger fan, I was pretty excited at looking forward to reading this. But, I think I'm going to pass not because I don't want to know what Tiger is going through in his career (there hasn't been a more micro-analyzed athlete in history) but because I am sick of Hank Haney in general, not to mention these leaked excerpts are giving it a more "gossipy" tone. I was hoping for something different - but it is Haney*.

*Fitting to see Haney decked out in TaylorMade gear now days.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Doesn't really seem like anything new to me.  http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=22140 is probably the core of the story.  Doesn't every kid at one point think they will follow in their fathers footsteps?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

LOL... This book sounds like it is going to be garbage...Here is an excerpt from Haneys book per an article I read online today:

"Tiger was seriously considering becoming a Navy SEAL. I didn't know how he'd go about it, but when he talked about it, it was clear he had a plan....I thought, Wow, here is Tiger Woods, greatest athlete on the planet, maybe the greatest athlete ever, right in the middle of his prime, basically ready to leave it all behind for a military life."

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It's a bit sad Haney feels the need to cash in on Tiger again, I guess he feels he didn't make enough off of Tiger as a swing coach.  I'm amazed these athletes that hire swing coaches, agents etc don't mandate a non-disclosure as part of their agreement.  If Tiger endorses the book I'll read it, if not, I doubt it, but can't say for certain I won't be tempted.

Agree 100%, When you develop a relationship with someone like Tiger and Hank did...you would think that there would be some loyalty. IMO, Hank Haney is at the bottom of the food chain, what a loser...I don't even watch his Golf Channel show anymore...Karma will come around and bite him in his skinny tail.

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!