Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saevel25

Summer gets a Polar Vortex

85 posts in this topic

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

My friends and I take our golf trip the 3rd week in July every year (we're in the Cincinnati area) for 20+  We usually go somewhere a couple of hours away; Lexington, Indy, Louisville, etc.  You being in Dayton know how hot and miserable it can be.  So why am I not as excited as you for the Polar Vortex next week, since it is the 3rd week in July?  Because my idiot friends decided this year would be a great year to go to Naples, FL for our trip.  So instead of us having close to picture perfect weather for playing golf all day long....well, y'know.  I don't want to talk about it anymore. :-D

I like my summers hot.

So do I ... and my Winter as well ...

Four season in Phx, Az ... almost summer, summer, still summer, 2 weeks of winter ...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking forward to a break from the heat.

When did they start calling these things "Polar Vortexes"? I don't remember ever hearing that term until last winter when we had a never ending supply of them.

I remember sitting at the lake on the 4th of July 1979 with a coat on and a blanket over me. Pretty sure that was some kind of vortex but we just called it "Blackberry Winter" back then.

I don't think I ever heard the term "polar vortex" before this past winter but I know this isn't the first time we have had cool weather in the summer, so I don't buy the "global warming is causing it" hype either.   Nonetheless, the highs are supposed to be in the 70's for the next few days here and IMHO, that is perfect golf weather, so you can call it what you want, I'll call it perfect golf weather.

So do I ... and my Winter as well ... Four season in Phx, Az ... almost summer, summer, still summer, 2 weeks of winter ...

I need to move there. Except the dust storms, aka haboobs.

NE Ohio:  We've already had our week of summer.  It was the 3rd week in June while I was away at the beach.  Fall started 2 weeks ago.

dave

I don't think I ever heard the term "polar vortex" before this past winter but I know this isn't the first time we have had cool weather in the summer, so I don't buy the "global warming is causing it" hype either.   Nonetheless, the highs are supposed to be in the 70's for the next few days here and IMHO, that is perfect golf weather, so you can call it what you want, I'll call it perfect golf weather.

Al Gore likely made up the name.... :roll:

Al Gore likely made up the name....

Was that before or after he invented the internet?

I actually looked up the history, and Al was not too far off ... he did help spear the government's efforts for one internet as a Senator.

Since 96% of scientists support the idea of humans assisting global climate change, I'm thinking, well, there might be something to it. And we rarely have 70 degree weather with rain in July in N. Texas. Last weekend, it was 100 F. This week, in the 70's and overcast. Like others say, it may not overly affect weather patterns but it may make them a tad more unusual and fairly violent.

Al Gore just went to Australia on a climate change b^%$hit tour.  They had record lows.  The joke now is that everywhere Al goes be sure to take your snow gear.

Hey, if we are causing these record lows with global warming (haha), why can't we make it happen every day when it gets too hot??  Think of the lives we could save in areas where seniors don't have AC in some of the poorer parts of the country and in some of the big cities.  If WE can make it colder due to "global warming", I think it is our responsibility to help those in need.  Right??!

If it is too hot....global warming.  If it is too cold...global warming.  If it is just right...global warming.  If your garden comes in late...global warming.  If your dog chugs its ass on the living room carpet...global warming.

Reminder...."Little Ice Age".    Explain that one. :-D

Al Gore just went to Australia on a climate change b^%$hit tour.  They had record lows.  The joke now is that everywhere Al goes be sure to take your snow gear.

Hey, if we are causing these record lows with global warming (haha), why can't we make it happen every day when it gets too hot??  Think of the lives we could save in areas where seniors don't have AC in some of the poorer parts of the country and in some of the big cities.  If WE can make it colder due to "global warming", I think it is our responsibility to help those in need.  Right??!

If it is too hot....global warming.  If it is too cold...global warming.  If it is just right...global warming.  If your garden comes in late...global warming.  If your dog chugs its ass on the living room carpet...global warming.

Reminder...."Little Ice Age".    Explain that one.

Most people have a parochial view of the weather and its changes, and not a world view.

IOW, 96% of scientists would say you can't see the forest for the trees.

Reminder...."Little Ice Age".    Explain that one.

Seriously?

Virtually every scientist agrees that global warming is real. But you had a cold spell (which is perfectly inline with global warming) and that experience counts? :P

Al Gore just went to Australia on a climate change b^%$hit tour.  They had record lows.  The joke now is that everywhere Al goes be sure to take your snow gear. Hey, if we are causing these record lows with global warming (haha), why can't we make it happen every day when it gets too hot??  Think of the lives we could save in areas where seniors don't have AC in some of the poorer parts of the country and in some of the big cities.  If WE can make it colder due to "global warming", I think it is our responsibility to help those in need.  Right??! If it is too hot....global warming.  If it is too cold...global warming.  If it is just right...global warming.  If your garden comes in late...global warming.  If your dog chugs its ass on the living room carpet...global warming.   Reminder...."Little Ice Age".    Explain that one.:-D

This is precisely the reason why they're trying to change the name to just "climate change." Global warming is really a misnomer, because while the average global temperature has and will continue to rise, weather (which is different than climate) is actually going to become more erratic. Some parts of the world are predicted to get colder, BTW. So yes, it's a little cold spell in the summer, doesn't disprove anything. There are heat waves in the winter, too.

You guys are really drinking the Cool-Aid.  No, that's not right in this case.  Eating the snowcones.

The fact that man can effect the planet in this way in such a short time is ridiculous.

AGAIN.......LITTLE ICE AGE.   EXPLAIN IT FOR ME. Must have been all the industry, right??!   Greenland was so beautiful until all those factories went up, eh?

We have only tracked temps for a little over 100 years, if that.  You seem to know the cycles of world temps with almost no precedent?  Please.  Give me a break, you "scholars" who watch T.V. to get your info.  Geez.

Dinosaurs only 5000 yrs, old too?  God made Earth in 7 days?  Moon made of green cheese?     What kind of schooling did you all have?  Any??