IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm enjoying this US Open venue and not because of new for newness sake, CB, imho, is a fair test from my perspective, as attested to by the scores, leaderboard and watchability via tv - hard as I try to separate course from broadcast network. I can't speak for watching it in person though. It's nice to see a wider variety of courses, especially away from the east coast rota. And I'm fine with the course looking brown. It's just a color. Lots of people give the USGA grief for being staid, they chose a new course and they get chastised for it. I would love to play CB, whatever the season.

People watch tennis and don't complain about the terre bateau of Paris, the lawns of Wimbledon, the artificial blues and greens of the USO and AO. Each court surface requires a different style of game and players adjust. Some surfaces favor one style of play over another, but you don't hear much complaining over it. It's a major and the pinnacle tournaments of the sport. Golf, likewise.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like I said, that's fine if you call it ugly. But don't call it unfair or out of control where everyone's getting 10s and 11s like some are. Scores suggest otherwise.

Yep it's the US Open, it's suppose to be tough. It's a quality leaderboard, the best players are hitting good shots and figuring out how to shoot good scores. I have seen some funky bounces but for the most part I think the greens are more receptive than Winged Foot or Oakmont, those greens got super hard.

Regardless of one's opinion on the course layout, the putting surfaces are horrible, especially in the late groups.

I don't like putting bumpy greens. I don't especially like watching the  pros putt bumpy greens either. I'd much rather watch them putt lightning fast perfect surfaces.

As others have said, it's common for the west coast. Same thing happens at Pebble, Torrey and Riviera.

2: The palette of the landscape varies with the seasons. The first picture was probably taken in the winter; fescue is a cold-weather grass. Watch the Dunhill Links Championship in November, and you'll see the Old Course and Carnoustie look that green, too.

Right, it's been hot and hasn't rained. This is Muirfield in '13 when there was a heat wave in the UK.

Hoping for a winning 66 from DJ today to win me the Callaway clubs.

They better make the setup easy.

I need him to shoot 73 and win for me to win the Callaway clubs. But a DJ win by any score will win me a couple R15's. Let's go DJ. Hopefully Wayne gave him a long sports psychology pep talk last night.

Good to see TaylorMade's marketing department is doing their job ;-)

Side Note: Has Bandon Dunes ever been brought up for a major? Or is it not hard/nice enough?

I've never been there but from what I've heard I don't think they have the infrastructure for it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I really don't get the "good shot gets punished" argument with this course. Its the US Open. Apart from 18 which I think is straight up gimmicky as a par 4 and a few other quirks I don't like about the course, unfair is not a good complaint.

Par is a comment on what they think the nearest integer to the expected score is going to be, given the tee placement and hole design. If they put the tees in the same place where they were considering for a "par 4" and called it a "par 5," would it be any less gimmicky? [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1350#post_1158239"] [QUOTE name="tmac20" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1296#post_1158140"]   Hoping for a winning 66 from DJ today to win me the Callaway clubs. :-)   They better make the setup easy.  [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="MyrtleBeachGolf" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1332#post_1158219"] I need him to shoot 73 and win for me to win the Callaway clubs. But a DJ win by any score will win me a couple R15's. Let's go DJ. Hopefully Wayne gave him a long sports psychology pep talk last night.[/QUOTE] Good to see TaylorMade's marketing department is doing their job ;-) [/quote] I think they mean the "Predict 3" challenge we've been doing for each major lately.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Par is a comment on what they think the nearest integer to the expected score is going to be, given the tee placement and hole design. If they put the tees in the same place where they were considering for a "par 4" and called it a "par 5," would it be any less gimmicky? I think they mean the "Predict 3" challenge we've been doing for each major lately.

Yes. My first selection is DJ -1 On top of that, I also participated in TaylorMades "if DJ wins, you win" promotion where I will receive an R15 if DJ wins (score doesn't matter).

Apologies if this has been said before, but did they just use the music from [i]Requiem for a Dream[/i] to introduce the guys in the booth?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Apologies if this has been said before, but did they just use the music from [i]Requiem for a Dream[/i] to introduce the guys in the booth?

It probably wouldn't hurt to take heavy narcotics before listening to Fox's announcing crew.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Same place , different story.

The tree in the background shows much darker in the first,  and the greens are 'greener. It may be exposure or playing with levels in Photoshop. Not real hard to make the whole course look lush and green.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Apologies if this has been said before, but did they just use the music from Requiem for a Dream to introduce the guys in the booth?

I think so. They did it before too, for football iirc.

Par. This is one ****ed up and upsetting movie.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The tree in the background shows much darker in the first,  and the greens are 'greener. It may be exposure or playing with levels in Photoshop. Not real hard to make the whole course look lush and green.

Look at the bush near the water in the right of the pic.  There's no leaves in the first pic, meaning winter and lots of rain.  Second pic has the bush fully leaved

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Mark Calcavecchia and Hunter Mahan on the Torrey Pines greens in '08.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/usopen09/columns/story?columnist=harig_bob&id;=4256164

Quote:

"I figured he was going to make it. Those greens suck at their best. And they weren't that good that week. Bounced, hobbled, wobbled all the way down there. Went in. Could have lipped out. Curled right in there. It's the legend of Tiger Woods."

Mahan: "Those greens were so hard, bouncing around. Every putt was a tough putt. You could hit a perfect putt and been there 10 times and maybe none of them go in. But he hit it the perfect speed and it dropped in."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shindig View Post

Par is a comment on what they think the nearest integer to the expected score is going to be, given the tee placement and hole design. If they put the tees in the same place where they were considering for a "par 4" and called it a "par 5," would it be any less gimmicky?
I think they mean the "Predict 3" challenge we've been doing for each major lately.

Gotcha, my bad :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

DJ and Callaway, what a great partnership they must have, hmm.

You can turn the prick mode off for a day you know. He made a mistake. Back to the course, it's been fun to watch this year despite the backlash about the greens and difficulty of the slopes etc. I'm really enjoying it even though Gary Player lost his mind about it lol

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

[QUOTE name="Shindig" url="/t/81357/2015-u-s-open-at-chambers-bay-discussion-thread/1350#post_1158242"] I think they mean the "Predict 3" challenge we've been doing for each major lately.[/QUOTE] Gotcha, my bad :-)

I would argue that you're good, since this story involves you giving us four chances a year to win free golf equipment. :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

It's funny how the pros complain about the poa. Thirty, forty years ago, every course that hosted U.S. Opens had poa annua greens. In fact, Oakmont's greens are still poa, and that's where they will be this time next year.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

My apologies. It happens. But still, there have been a lot of critics, including on this board, bashing the course's difficulty, but it isn't playing any tougher than a normal US Open. If anything, it's played a bit easier. I personally like the course......yeah they underestimaed how dry the weather would be which led to some bumpiness on the greens, but it wouldn't stop me from playing it because I know it's not traditionally like this.

Think the course has got to Horschel after that putt!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

It's funny how the pros complain about the poa. Thirty, forty years ago, every course that hosted U.S. Opens had poa annua greens. In fact, Oakmont's greens are still poa, and that's where they will be this time next year.

It's not the poa they are complaining about its that the fescue greens got some poa that invaded it causing the bumpy greens With that said, the greens are obviously not perfect but the course looks cool and it's been a great tournament. I'm really enjoying the open this year even with all the controversy

The kid from Christmas story is the president of the USGA?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Horschel will blame the greens after any missed putt. You can tell who the mentally strong golfers are. More reason for me not to like him. He's the American Poulter with his happy pants and bad temper.

Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!