IGNORED

I hate it when...

Aguirre
Note: This thread is 3272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do not think it is a totally horrible idea.  At my club they ask people twice to get back in position and inform them the second time that if they do not comply they will be ordered to skip ahead to get back in position. So potentially it might cost a hole or more of play by not staying in position. Probably alienates customers but maybe not the target customer the course wants to cater to anyway, not sure about how that works out.

It used to bother me when people said nice shot to a shot that was a bad shot but a good result. Like a skulled wedge that skitters and bobbles to withing two feet of the hole. I did not hate it and it does not bother me at all now.

My club does that too but very rarely.

On a busy day, keep letting the group behind pass will slow down thing even further for all the groups behind.   Instead, they should offer the group behind to skip ahead to the next open hole, or they should skip ahead themselves.    My 2 cents.

I've seen a marshall tell a group to skip a hole to catch up with the pace of play.

On the courses I play, even tee time is booked up.  Letting a group through helps the group you let through at the expense of every foursome with a later tee time for the rest of the day.

Letting a group through only makes sense when there is no one close behind the group you let through (or perhaps a single of twosome, but singles and twosomes don't happen much on the courses I play.  Torrey for example is foursomes in every tee time all day long... all year long for that matter).

I only pay at public courses so maybe it's something that happens at private courses or maybe I've not been privy to it, but if I were a customer, I'd be really upset if they did that.  If I'm using the round for HC purposes, and am letting people through, then really, people should just calm down, IMO.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I only pay at public courses so maybe it's something that happens at private courses or maybe I've not been privy to it, but if I were a customer, I'd be really upset if they did that.  If I'm using the round for HC purposes, and am letting people through, then really, people should just calm down, IMO.

But, my point is for pace of play on a crowded course for those behind you is it's better to not let people play through. Letting people through is the worse thing you can do to all those behind you (except the actual group you let through).

Of course the best thing to do is to just start to haul ass and catch up with the pace of play.  I've had to really push some slow friends of mine to do just that.  I just say, "Proper etiquette is to skip a hole or play really fast and catch up with the pace of play".  They always choose the later.

But, my point is for pace of play on a crowded course for those behind you is it's better to not let people play through. Letting people through is the worse thing you can do to all those behind you (except the actual group you let through).

Of course the best thing to do is to just start to haul ass and catch up with the pace of play.  I've had to really push some slow friends of mine to do just that.  I just say, "Proper etiquette is to skip a hole or play really fast and catch up with the pace of play".  They always choose the later.

Ahh, I think I missed the crowded course part.

Then again, group A, which let group B through, isn't really delaying things, it's group C in front of both groups A and B which I imagine is really holding things up.

Christian

I saw this happened once.   A group in a tournament was asked to skip a hole and they obliged.   I sure hope they used ESC scoring system to fill in their score for the skipped hole.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Ahh, I think I missed the crowded course part.

Then again, group A, which let group B through, isn't really delaying things, it's group C in front of both groups A and B which I imagine is really holding things up.

When group A lets group B through, group A has to wait to tee of, maybe about 8 minutes.  This slows group A's round down by about 8 minutes and slows everyone behind group B by those same 8 minutes.  Group C will be completely on group A's tail and waiting by the time group B plays through with the likely scenario that Group A and Group C will be on that tee box at the same time.

I hate when there's no cart girl, because it's too early in the season and they're still in college, it's lonely out there.

When group A lets group B through, group A has to wait to tee of, maybe about 8 minutes.  This slows group A's round down by about 8 minutes and slows everyone behind group B by those same 8 minutes.  Group C will be completely on group A's tail and waiting by the time group B plays through with the likely scenario that Group A and Group C will be on that tee box at the same time.

Yeah, but while Group B tees off, both groups are still ahead of your group and then when Group D (presumably the Group behind Group C), catches up to Group A, rinse, repeat.

Like I said, I might not be visualizing it well, but I think it really is a rise repeat cycle.

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Mulligans

Yeah, but while Group B tees off, both groups are still ahead of your group and then when Group D (presumably the Group behind Group C), catches up to Group A, rinse, repeat.

Like I said, I might not be visualizing it well, but I think it really is a rise repeat cycle.

This is beginning to look like an Algebra question.     I think the variable is how pack the course is at the time.   If a course if fully packed (all tee time slots are full), I hate it when a group decides to let another group pass.   My observation has been that it adds to the problem.    I have declined to pass a front group a few times b/c of this (for the good of the many).    If a course is sparsely packed, your visualization may be right.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I agree.

Another solution for notorious slow groups is the old miniature golf rule that if you have double par, that is your score, pick up the ball and go to the next hole.

This is beginning to look like an Algebra question.... "When group A lets group B through, group A has to wait to tee of, maybe about 8 minutes.  This slows group A's round down by about 8 minutes and slows everyone behind group B by those same 8 minutes.  Group C will be completely on group A's tail and waiting by the time group B plays through with the likely scenario that Group A and Group C will be on that tee box at the same time."

LOL! I was always good in math, but this one might might have baffled Pythagoras, Euclid, and Aristotle.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkim291968 View Post

I saw this happened once.   A group in a tournament was asked to skip a hole and they obliged.   I sure hope they used ESC scoring system to fill in their score for the skipped hole.

This is my view on skipping holes (predicated on playing under the USGA system), sometimes the rules help a player in ridiculous ways and sometimes they stupidly punish an otherwise blameless player (but in some cases this subsequently gets corrected). But they are just stupid rules and should be followed like a stupid monkey.

I view the USGA handicapping system in the same way as the rules, it is the players obligation to know it and adhere to it as best they can. I would be upset skipping holes from a playing perspective but not from a posting perspective because I am just a stupid monkey posting in accordance to the system in place for me to do so.

I dislike it when players pick and chose on what rules to follow and which to ignore and in some ways it saddens me even more when players abuse the handicap system by picking which scores they feel should be posted or not. Just to be clear that is not what is being discussed here, well it is not my intent or meaning anyway. It is hard to imagine anyone championing cheaters or intentional sandbaggers.

Quote:

USGA Handicap System Manual

Section 5 SCORES

5-1. Acceptability of Scores

a. Scores To Post

To post a 9-hole score, the player must play 7 to 12 holes, and at least 7 holes must be played in accordance with the principle of the Rules of Golf. To post an 18-hole score, the player must play at least 13 holes in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf. (See Decisions 5-1a/3 through 5-1a/5 .)

5-2. Posting Scores

b. Posting a Score When a Complete Round is not Played

If 13 or more holes are played, the player must post an 18-hole score. If 7 to 12 holes are played, the player must post a nine-hole score. In either case, scores for unplayed holes must be recorded as par plus any handicap strokes that the player is entitled to receive on the unplayed holes. (See Section 4-2 and 5-1a .)

Mike

People that insist on chewing tobacco spent all over the place ... especially by the ice and water station ... just nasty shit that is ... People that will not STFU in a tee box ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Where i'm stationed i watch considerable snooker on the boob-tube.  I see one most common format but a few times i find a match where each player gets just so many minutes to make his shot, or sit down.  I believe such a system could be modified to promote rapid shot decision and execution to the benefit  television golf speed of play.  And an easy enough format to make it also OK for ams and various more casual golfers.

Quite a nice  New York Times Sports page report today, Thurs 7 May, 2015, on the effects of high purse rewards on PGA tour venues and players outlook onthe reality of  'winning, or as close as possible = +++ money'.

People who talk while others are hitting

People who play music on the course

When I hit a fat shots

Driver: Cobra Fly Z Plus, Stock Stiff,  10.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade AeroBurner, Stock Stiff, 15.0
3 Hybrid: Nike Vapor Speed, Stock Stiff, 20.0
4 to GW: Mizuno JPX EZ, KBS Tour 120
54: Cleveland Tour Action, Standard Bounce
58: Nike VR Vx3x Grooves, Toe Sweep
Putter: Odyssey Versa
Grips: Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

"Golf is not a game of good shots.  It's a game of bad shots." - Ben Hogan

I try not to hate too many things when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself on the course. Butttt, here are a few minor annoyances:

- Looking for a ball that went 50 yards deep into the woods. "Maybe it will be on the edge". No dude, we all saw that thing rocket straight into the trees with no hope of being found. Take your penalty stroke and move on with your game. wtf?

- Not playing ready golf. Are you the first on the tee box? Are you ready to hit? Let it rip then!! Does anyone really give a shit who tee's off when? Same with putting. If someone's having a bad hole, chipped 3 times, and is still away -- don't make them rush to putt. Just putt. No one really cares. So, give the guy a break and putt if you're ready to.

- Not fixing ball marks and divots. Sometimes divots explode into a million pieces, so there's nothing you can do. But, not fixing ball marks on the green is ridiculous. I fix other people's marks endlessly. It's not hard people. It's lazy and disrespectful to everyone.

I hate it when you tank your drive up the middle of the fairway and it rolls to a stop just on the edge of a bunker, leaving you with a dodgy feet-in-the-bunker-ball-out-the-bunker stance for your next shot.

I hate it when I follow an awesome drive with a shanked wedge.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I hate it when I follow an awesome drive with a shanked wedge.

I'll second that!!!! :loco:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 3272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!