IGNORED

Should i concede putts????

jryder
Note: This thread is 3107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In casual play usually putts inside of 18" are usually "that's good," but you as a new player should always putt them for practice. I always holed out on the green when I first started and my putting game isn't bad. It's far from great, but it's not bad. It's not the problem with my game.

In match play putts are conceded as a matter of strategy. If you're not sure what to do, you should make your opponent putt. If you're hitting 4 onto the green and your opponent is on the green in 2 and about 3 feet from the hole, if you don't hole out your shot, you might want to concede the hole unless they're a really bad putter.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a new player when should i concede putts

If the player's score matters to you, never concede a putt over 18 inches. My son in law has a strange ability to make 10 footers and miss 2 to five footers. I never give him a break.

If the other players score does not matter to you, give whatever. I have found most will putt out anything over a couple of feet. Doesn't really matter if you have nothing on the line.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

As far as the Rules of Golf are concerned, you may concede a stroke  only in match play, never in stroke play.

Edited by ColinL
  • Upvote 1

What ColinL is saying is that in a more serious competition using stroke play that is played under the rules of golf, no one concedes putts on the green. Everyone should hole out. You don't pick up your ball even if it is only three inches from the hole.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

In a fourball match, it also often makes sense to give an opponent a putt if he is on the same line as his partner and his score is not likely to count.

If you're just playing casually, don't concede a putt.  My feeling has always been that in casual rounds, people can concede their own if they feel like it (the USGA handicapping rules even allow for a posted score when you do this).  When I started, and even when I was decently good, strangers would occasionally concede long putts -- I'm talking 8' and beyond sometimes.  It annoyed me.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The first thing to know is that the only time you should ever concede a putt is if you are playing match play.  It is obnoxious to knock another player's ball away as a way of conceding the putt when playing a casual round.  Always give your playing companions the opportunity to play by the rules.  They may chose not to, but that is their business.

And as a beginner it would be good for you to establish the habit of putting everything out.  Even if you are playing match play and the putt is conceded it is still a good idea to putt it out for practice, assuming it does not unduly delay play.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Not sure what you mean. If it means knocking someone's ball away, then no. Don't do it unless they ask you to do so.

You should only concede in match play if even when you make a putt that you lose the hole.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

ok with the turtle.

of course there are no given putts in official rounds except match play format.

nevertheless 4 balls are often slow games so give putts to your partners. they can take it or not.

in europe we dont ask for a give me. They are given putts by others. If nothing is said putt the ball.

small putts are important nevertheless there is a lot to take from a four ball game other than practicing your 2 footers. 

During match play, I will propose "good-good?" on occasions when I feel my opponent has the easier putt. Otherwise I prefer to putt everything out.

Is that legal?  I thought you could concede, but not negotiate. 

And as a beginner it would be good for you to establish the habit of putting everything out.  Even if you are playing match play and the putt is conceded it is still a good idea to putt it out for practice, assuming it does not unduly delay play.

I disagree with putting out a conceded putt during a match play;  if there's a non-zero chance of missing it (non-freak occurrence, as was Hale Irwin's tap-in miss at the British Open a few years ago), don't let your opponent get the hint that you might miss.  Do a few similar practice putts after the round to make up the loss.  If you miss, your opponent may be less generous in the future.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I disagree with putting out a conceded putt during a match play;  if there's a non-zero chance of missing it (non-freak occurrence, as was Hale Irwin's tap-in miss at the British Open a few years ago), don't let your opponent get the hint that you might miss.  Do a few similar practice putts after the round to make up the loss.  If you miss, your opponent may be less generous in the future.

I will never putt a conceded 3 footer. Part of that is the reason you mention above and part is that some people consider it discourteous to your opponent to putt out after a concession. I realize that @turtleback's comment was directed more towards beinning golfers, but even then, I would advise against putting out after a concession. It can easily rub someone the wrong way.

Edited by Big C

Is that legal?  I thought you could concede, but not negotiate. 

'Good good' is legal. After the hole has started the sides may consider a hole halved.

2-1/1.5

Players Agree to Consider Hole Halved During Play of Hole

Q.In a match, a player and his opponent play their second shots on a par 5 hole. Unexpectedly, neither ball can be found. Rather than proceeding under Rule 27-1, both players agree to a half. Is this permitted?

A.Yes. An agreement to halve a hole being played is permissible.

What ColinL is saying is that in a more serious competition using stroke play that is played under the rules of golf, no one concedes putts on the green. Everyone should hole out. You don't pick up your ball even if it is only three inches from the hole.

Not quite.  What Colin was saying was quite simply that under the rules you can only concede strokes in match play. He wasn’t making any distinctions between  more or less serious stroke competitions, but then he comes from this strange place, sometimes known as " the home of golf” which has a different golfing culture .  ;-)

You should only concede in match play if even when you make a putt that you lose the hole.

Many putts are conceded in match play for a half.

Edited by ColinL
  • Upvote 1

The first thing to know is that the only time you should ever concede a putt is if you are playing match play.  It is obnoxious to knock another player's ball away as a way of conceding the putt when playing a casual round.  Always give your playing companions the opportunity to play by the rules.  They may chose not to, but that is their business.

I like to putt everything out, I cant tell you how annoying it is for me to have somebody knock my two foot putt back to me.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

• 3 weeks later...

That depends upon who you are playing with in my opinion.  I often golf with a lot of retired players and early in the morning.  In fact, they want to be done before the day heats up.  I never ask nor take a "gimmie."  If they ask, I try to let another say, "pick it up."  To be honest, their practice does not bother me at all.  We have a great time.  However, when I golf in local tournaments or scrambles, no "gimmie" is good until it is in the bottom of the hole.  So, I putt them in.  If I were a learning golfer, as has previous been mentioned, I'd putt everything out myself. 

Edited by CoachB25

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

Note: This thread is 3107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!