IGNORED

Where Did THAT Come From???

Fairway_CY
Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played in a three-day tournament over the weekend, and several times throughout the weekend... I had shots that seemed to come from nowhere and completely halted any and all momentum I had going at that point.  

The worst of the bunch was during the final round on Sunday.  I was playing really well, having made par on five of the previous six holes, and the other hole was a 'good' bogey after putting my drive into a hazard up the left side.  As I stepped to the next tee, I hit a really solid drive into the middle of the fairway, which left me about 250 to the green.  There was water all up the left side of the hole, and I wasn't going to get there from 250 anyway, so I hit a perfect layup with my 6 Iron to the right side of the fairway, giving me a perfect angle into the green and leaving me about 80 yards to the hole.  Again, with the water to the left of the green and the pin tucked in the back-left corner, I aimed out right... trying to play safe.  I then ruined all momentum by yanking the ball about 25 yards left of my intended target and putting it in the water. 

It killed me and I ended up finishing the round double - double - bogey - double - double - bogey - bogey - bogey - par.  It seems to happen any time I have a good stretch of golf going.  This one just hurt because I had been feeling really confident up until that shot, and then, no matter what I tried... I felt like I couldn't make a confident swing.

Anybody else have stories like this?

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played in a three-day tournament over the weekend, and several times throughout the weekend... I had shots that seemed to come from nowhere and completely halted any and all momentum I had going at that point...  

It seems to happen any time I have a good stretch of golf going.  This one just hurt because I had been feeling really confident up until that shot, and then, no matter what I tried... I felt like I couldn't make a confident swing.

CY

Over the years I have played in a lot of low level amateur tournaments.  There is no doubt that for most of us, tournament golf creates a significant amount of stress.  The added stress often manifests itself in partial meltdowns like you recently experienced.

I won't presume to give you advice on the mental aspect of the game as there are many books and articles on the subject.  I do recommend playing lots of tournaments each year.  Playing numerous events every year has helped me in two ways.  First, the repetition has made me more comfortable. I still get excited and nervous but I pretty much have experienced everything from playing great to yanking the first tee shot over the fence.  I used to be more nervous than excited, now it is the other way around.  Second, because there will be another event in a week or two, I am less concerned about screwing up. There is always next week.  When I formerly played just 1-2 events a year, it was much too easy to fall into the mindset, "I HAVE to play well in this event because if I don't, it will be another year before I get a chance at redemption!."  That thought put way too much pressure on me.

Edited by bkuehn1952
add

Brian Kuehn

Bad shots happen inexplicably. Could be any number of reasons.

One thing I used to be told to do in Archery was to forget anything in the past. You made a bad shot, then forget about it. Clear your mind, and go through your routine again to make your next shot.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I feel your pain as everyone who has played this game long enough can also relate. 

But Lihu is right. The key is forgetting the last shot and concentrating on the shot you are about to hit. It's a lot harder than it sounds that's why we all have trouble getting out of it fast. 

I've trying to focus more on one shot at a time this year (more so than in the past). I can see a glimmer of improvement once in a while. But I think it will take a few more months. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Short answer is, yes, I have stories like that. Way more than I care to count. Those "WTF"? Where did that come from? type misses have crept into almost every meaningful competition I've participated. A few weeks ago, @iacas posted the following

-----------------------------------

For the second, I'm just talking about shots that are so horrible they don't even really have names. You can't do anything but stare at them as they sail 40° right, or pull-hook so violently you turn around in case it boomerangs back at you. Just get rid of those shots. Where do they even come from? How does a guy who can shoot 75 one day hit three of those shots the next day? I have no idea, but if you occasionally hit one, figure out what causes it and eliminate it immediately

-----------------------------------

It's the bane of my current golfing existence, and if I were capable of figuring out what caused it, I'd be sure to spend as much time as necessary to eliminate. Sadly, it remains one of golf great mysteries for me.

All I can say is that I do a little better job now after a blow out hole.   Before, the bad holes seem to come in pairs.   Now, I can score an 8 and par the next hole.  OTOH, I can par a hole and score 8 on the next just as easily.   :-(

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Bad shots happen inexplicably. Could be any number of reasons.

One thing I used to be told to do in Archery was to forget anything in the past. You made a bad shot, then forget about it. Clear your mind, and go through your routine again to make your next shot.

This is so true. 

Also, at least for me, when something goes south, it goes south for the rest of the round. Something you learn as you progress through different skill levels is how to play with what you have that day. I might start with three pars and then hit a pullhook into the trees on my next tee shot. If I do it again on the next hole or two and don't feel comfortable over the ball anymore, I just aim way right and try to hit a big pull which I can then scrap around the course with. Then I go to the range afterward and figure out what was going on.

Yes it would be nice to completely eliminate the "big miss" in your game but even the pros will hit a ball off the planet in the wrong direction sometimes. What determines the rest of the round is how you are able to manage or recover from the bad shot. Whether it be flushing it and sticking to your routine or adjusting to work with the bad shot for the rest of the round.

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

I

CY

All the time.  And this why it is so important to play under competition conditions.

To finish a round strongly - or not to make a  mess of it -  to me is one of the most satisfying things in golf.

If I am doing well after 14 holes and don't screw up over the last four, it's a great feeling.

Unfortunately, golf rounds consist of 18 holes. :-)

You are saying that a bad 9 "killed" you.

No - you played a good front 9 and a bad back 9. It's a very typical scenario.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Yep.... During a tournament yesterday. The holy crap where did that... no. no. no. gap wedge on 12 I pull hit yesterday that went 137 yds. and about 15 yds left leaving a 40 yd pitch back onto the green. Normal GW distance is 105. Game Golf confirmed it was a GW not a 8 or 9 iron. This meltdown started with the 11th hole where I pulled my 8 iron for the par 3 and hit a beautiful sand wedge off the tee, then pitched on and 3 jacked the putt. It ended with a triple bogey on 13. I turned it around on 14 and played decently on the last 5 holes.

Back 9s are tough. I agree with Shorty. Just because I knew I was out of it by 14 doesn't mean it was time to quit. Finishing strong (for me) on 14 - 18 meant a lot. It was a tournament. I was out of it by that point and had nothing to lose. I just hit my drives as hard as I could and kept them in play.

Golf is a funny game. There's next year.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I ask myself that same question all the time. Then I laugh at myself, and move on. Fortunately the question only comes up just few times every 18 holes.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 3110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!