IGNORED

Interesting Pairing and an Etiquette Lesson

Gator Hazard
Note:Β This thread is 3047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

That's why there is the saying "You're away".

Next time someone tries to correct you, tell them "You're wrong".

If they are not fun to play with, tell them you're going to play ahead because they are d-bags.Β  If theΒ marshall says something, tell him they were d-bags.Β  At my course, the marshalls are d-bags.Β  They're everywhere!

• Upvote 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

As others have mentioned, technically, you were correct because its distance from the hole, not which part of the course, that determines who plays next. Β That said, its not uncommon during casual play to get everybody up onto the green first so that the flag doesn't have to be removed and replaced multiple times.

I like the idea of not worrying about the flag and just playing ready golf, like others have also mentioned. :)

The way we do it at my home course is the guy chipping is closer but wants the flag left in then he goes. If he wants it out it turns in to the distance factor. It works for us.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Gator Hazard said:

I should mention that tending flagstick would be necessary from distsnce i eas putting and it was elevated. The dad had grabbed andΒ was ready for both ofΒ us

Maybe so, but tending is usually for long putts and not for chips. I don't actually know anyone who would appreciate someone tending a chip?

Β 

On a side note, the dad was kind of a d-bag. He had a lopsided sense of etiquette? He should have simply stated that "My son is still chipping, can he go first?" or something. Lecturing you was a little bit much. I've played those types as well, but just ignore them. Lately, the same people who did that stopped lecturing me anyway for other reasons. Not related to my better playing or anything??? :whistle::-D:-D

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I would have mentioned to him that ready golf dictates that you play if you are ready and others are not, in addition to the fact that the person furthest from the hole is always the person who is "supposed" to hit next. Refer him to the 2000 Solheim cup, where Annika Sorenstam actually had to replay her chip shot for playing out of turn when it came to light that the American's putt was the longer of the two shots.

He was entirely in the wrong and I would have let him know in a non-comfrontational, yet firm, manner. I tend to be irked when people who play worse than I (as the son appeared to be playing worse than you in those circumstances) attempt to feed me information that I know to be false. Rules 10-1b and 10-2b show he was clearly in the wrong, and I would have showed him the rule in the book (I recommend always carrying one, even if only to remind yourself of the rules) if he continued to be a pain about it.

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Maybe so, but tending is usually for long putts and not for chips. I don't actually know anyone who would appreciate someone tending a chip?

Β 

On a side note, the dad was kind of a d-bag. He had a lopsided sense of etiquette? He should have simply stated that "My son is still chipping, can he go first?" or something. Lecturing you was a little bit much. I've played those types as well, but just ignore them. Lately, the same people who did that stopped lecturing me anyway for other reasons. Not related to my better playing or anything??? :whistle::-D:-D

It was not the dad. The dad was a perfect gentleman and a pleasure to play with. The son did and said those things.Β 

24 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I would have mentioned to him that ready golf dictates that you play if you are ready and others are not, in addition to the fact that the person furthest from the hole is always the person who is "supposed" to hit next. Refer him to the 2000 Solheim cup, where Annika Sorenstam actually had to replay her chip shot for playing out of turn when it came to light that the American's putt was the longer of the two shots.

He was entirely in the wrong and I would have let him know in a non-comfrontational, yet firm, manner. I tend to be irked when people who play worse than I (as the son appeared to be playing worse than you in those circumstances) attempt to feed me information that I know to be false. Rules 10-1b and 10-2b show he was clearly in the wrong, and I would have showed him the rule in the book (I recommend always carrying one, even if only to remind yourself of the rules) if he continued to be a pain about it.

I wish I had the rules but it was fine. As Ive gotten older I have learned some things are not worth the effort. Karma caught up with him fast on that day and a round of golf he probably looked forward too for some time crumbled in front of him as he unravelled in front of his dad and myself. Hopefully he went home and thought about it but something tells me his arrogance doesnt allow for that type of reflection.Β 

2 hours ago, vangator said:

That's why there is the saying "You're away".

Next time someone tries to correct you, tell them "You're wrong".

If they are not fun to play with, tell them you're going to play ahead because they are d-bags.Β  If theΒ marshall says something, tell him they were d-bags.Β  At my course, the marshalls are d-bags.Β  They're everywhere!

Funny!Β The marshall was a dbag actually.Β 

35 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

It was not the dad. The dad was a perfect gentleman and a pleasure to play with. The son did and said those things.Β 

Oops, my mistake. You did mention twice that the dad was a very good playing partner.

The son unraveled most likely because he wanted to prove himself, and dug himself deeper into trouble. It happens.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You took it better than I would have. I fly off the handle when people condescend to / patronize me.Β 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5Β° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15Β° wood, Callaway XR 19Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24Β° hybrid, Callaway X-24Β 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47Β°/12Β°, Cleveland REG 588 52Β°/08Β°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56Β°/13Β°, 60Β°/10Β°,Β Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

You took it better than I would have. I fly off the handle when people condescend to / patronize me.Β 

I usually give them a snide remark or two.Β  Some get it, a few don't.Β Β  Once an old guy was belittling me about using a colored ball after the round.Β  A total stranger and a poor golfer - worse than my bogey golf.Β Β  The guy was so out of touch that I didn't think he'd get my hint.Β 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

I usually give them a snide remark or two.Β  Some get it, a few don't.Β Β  Once an old guy was belittling me about using a colored ball after the round.Β  A total stranger and a poor golfer - worse than my bogey golf.Β Β  The guy was so out of touch that I didn't think he'd get my hint.Β 

I did make a few comments later in the round here and there that could be taken a few ways. Β Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all right after a big slice or hook, just that awkward silenceΒ  :)

That sounds miserable, I know it's easy to go to the dark side in golf, so easy to become bitter during a round, but I expect veterans to know how to overcome, it's part of learning, it's an advanced golf mind that can take the punches during a round and stay in the good place mentally, because that's the only way to get your game going again, and maybe even more important- stop from bringing the entire group down, because we all know that one dark player can affect everyone's game.

As for the etiquette stuff, he's just incorrect but I would have ignored him with a smile and a sure.

Β 

Edited by MrDC

On 12/1/2015, 1:22:45, dkolo said:

Haha, I could see that about you. :content:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

• iacas changed the title to Interesting Pairing and an Etiquette Lesson

Thanks everyone for the input. Β Who knows if will ever bump into him again, said he plays my home course often so who knows. Β If I ever am paired with him again and in the same circumstance would be hilarious to go ahead and do the exact same thing again after he already told me what I should do. Β 

What's your home course?Β  That way I know to avoid it. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I don't care what others say or do out there and more often than not nothing comes up. Eventually the different abilities of the group tends to determine the order of play, better players are closer to the hole with less shots etc.

Dave :-)

1 hour ago, vangator said:

What's your home course?Β  That way I know to avoid it. :-)

Ha-ha! Β Northdale is my home course. Β I like it, its a pretty good course and the greens are terrific, roll fast but true.

I've played Northdale several times.Β  Long way from where I live on the beaches.

42 minutes ago, vangator said:

I've played Northdale several times.Β  Long way from where I live on the beaches.

Let me know next time you are out there and I will make sure to go out back and heckle you on my hole.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 3047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!