IGNORED

MMA/UFC Star says "Talent doesn't exist"

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12/26/10666894/ufc-news-video-conor-mcgregor-im-not-talented-im-obsessed

I think he means well but doesn't really know the truth of the matter. While I believe that talent alone doesn't get you to the top, I also don't think that hard work alone will get you there either. It does require the intangible thing called natural ability aka talent. It's amazing how many people are actually agreeing with his statement. I feel like people who don't believe in talent have neither experienced being talented at something nor seen someone who is actually talented pick something up and do well right away.It's something that is just about impossible to deny if you actually have one of those experiences. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Conor is very talented and very obsessed.  He promotes fights harder than anyone and has earned every penny he's made in the UFC.  He probably works so hard he doesn't realize or want to admit that all that hard work would possibly be wasted if he didn't have the talent to being with.

I think people like him downplay the talent aspect because he does work very hard and doesn't want anyone to minimize his efforts because of the superior physical and mental attributes he was born with.

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12/26/10666894/ufc-news-video-conor-mcgregor-im-not-talented-im-obsessed

I think he means well but doesn't really know the truth of the matter. While I believe that talent alone doesn't get you to the top, I also don't think that hard work alone will get you there either. It does require the intangible thing called natural ability aka talent. It's amazing how many people are actually agreeing with his statement. I feel like people who don't believe in talent have neither experienced being talented at something nor seen someone who is actually talented pick something up and do well right away.It's something that is just about impossible to deny if you actually have one of those experiences. 

I think you have it backwards.  It's mostly people who are very talented that perpetuate that myth.  We see them as superhuman but they see themselves as regular people and they know they worked hard to get where they are.

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I think you have it backwards.  It's mostly people who are very talented that perpetuate that myth.  We see them as superhuman but they see themselves as regular people and they know they worked hard to get where they are.

I also think it's a way built in mechanism not to get complacent. They are talented, yet the people they compete against are equally talented. It's very very rare you can get someone to win just on talent alone. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

There is a lot of ways to get to a destination, whatever sport, art, or whatever. I have considered the "inherent talent" code and what it is for many years (mostly amongst musicians) and it is one aspect of success along with hard work, passion (how much do you really want it), education and coaching as well as encouragement from other (something that really goes a long way in ones success). It appears that many super-talented individuals have a lot of challenges, as the price of genius comes with a cost, but that is different  topic.

Dave

9 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I agree with this. It takes hard work and talent to get to the top. The people who are talented might not realize that they have a leg up over other people to begin with and their ceiling is higher. It's like being gifted or having an advantage in anything else; those who are privileged tend to take it for granted because they don't know any different.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If you look at the comments section of the link, most do not agree with him.

Cynical thought - measured PR quote to appeal to fans, but more likely it's something he really believes.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I think people on both sides are equally bad at pushing the "no talent" myth, because you will see people comment "I noticed I had a natural ability at a young age". That being said, I understand why the talented people don't want their hard work discredited by people saying "you are only that good because you are talented", but whether they like it or not that is a major ingredient to their success. However I agree it's usually a parent or coach who is more likely to comment about how they saw the talent in someone at a young age.That being said there are a lot of people who want to believe if they just work hard enough they can make it to the pinnacle of anything discount talent as well. I mean look at how many people we see come here and talk about/ask about being able to make the PGA tour "if only I had enough time to practice"... It's also perpetuated by the "everyone's a winner" mentality, in my opinion. I absolutely agree that people should be encouraged to work hard, because talent alone is not enough, but it is also totally necessary for people know that not everyone can be the best at things.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I wouldn't put it past him to have said that just to ruffle feathers, he enjoys stirring the pot.  There are a number of people I know that are naturally talented at things.  One of my best friends in high school picked up a pool cue and basically just knew how to play, he was better than the vast majority of people right off the bat and became an excellent player.  

30 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I wouldn't put it past him to have said that just to ruffle feathers, he enjoys stirring the pot.  There are a number of people I know that are naturally talented at things.  One of my best friends in high school picked up a pool cue and basically just knew how to play, he was better than the vast majority of people right off the bat and became an excellent player.  

That is always a distinct possibility with Connor. He definitely likes to say outlandish things. I don't really think that is the case this time though. He constantly claims that he works harder than anyone else "in the fight game". I think he may actually truly believe what he says. The thing is, he is always talking about how he sees patterns and uses precise timing to capitalize on them. What he isn't accepting is that being able to see those patterns and having the timing to take advantage of them is a talent that not everyone has. Of course, without the hard work in the gym to get stronger, improve techniques, improve movement, and increase stamina, all that pattern seeing and timing wouldn't be as much help as it is.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I think people on both sides are equally bad at pushing the "no talent" myth, because you will see people comment "I noticed I had a natural ability at a young age". That being said, I understand why the talented people don't want their hard work discredited by people saying "you are only that good because you are talented", but whether they like it or not that is a major ingredient to their success. However I agree it's usually a parent or coach who is more likely to comment about how they saw the talent in someone at a young age.That being said there are a lot of people who want to believe if they just work hard enough they can make it to the pinnacle of anything discount talent as well. I mean look at how many people we see come here and talk about/ask about being able to make the PGA tour "if only I had enough time to practice"... It's also perpetuated by the "everyone's a winner" mentality, in my opinion. I absolutely agree that people should be encouraged to work hard, because talent alone is not enough, but it is also totally necessary for people know that not everyone can be the best at things.

There's also a lot more virtue in encouraging people to try things and work hard than there is in convincing them that their chance of success is small so they should just not try.

Know what I mean?

Would you rather he encourages too many people to give full effort and perhaps discover one diamond in the rough while also helping several others better themselves to varying degrees or discourage everybody because none of them will be the best and possibly causing that one that had unknown talent to let it slip by unknowingly?

You don't understand why people say there's no such thing as talent and I equally don't understand the need for people to prove otherwise.

Does that make sense?

15 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

There's also a lot more virtue in encouraging people to try things and work hard than there is in convincing them that their chance of success is small so they should just not try.

Know what I mean?

Would you rather he encourages too many people to give full effort and perhaps discover one diamond in the rough while also helping several others better themselves to varying degrees or discourage everybody because none of them will be the best and possibly causing that one that had unknown talent to let it slip by unknowingly?

You don't understand why people say there's no such thing as talent and I equally don't understand the need for people to prove otherwise.

Does that make sense?

I fully endorse the idea that you never know if you can be the greatest if you don't try, but I also believe that you shouldn't be disappointed if you can't because not everyone has the ability to be. I just don't believe in saying "you can be the best if you work hard enough", I believe in saying "you never know if you can be the best unless you work hard enough". There is very little difference in those two statements, but the difference is key in my opinion. I believe realistic expectations are much better than unrealistic ones for people. Unrealistic goals set one up for failure, while realistic goals will boost self confidence when met. As I said before, it's just like people coming here with the idea that they can make the PGA Tour. A lot of people will say, there's no way you can do that, those guys have a talent that you'll never have. Others, who are more encouraging will say something like, it's possible that you could do it, if you were able to dedicate all your time to training but it's highly unlikely. Almost nobody says, of course you can make it, it's all about hard work! Anyone who works hard can make the Tour.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

12 hours ago, Dave325 said:

There is a lot of ways to get to a destination, whatever sport, art, or whatever. I have considered the "inherent talent" code and what it is for many years (mostly amongst musicians) and it is one aspect of success along with hard work, passion (how much do you really want it), education and coaching as well as encouragement from other (something that really goes a long way in ones success). It appears that many super-talented individuals have a lot of challenges, as the price of genius comes with a cost, but that is different  topic.

Well you highlight a difference in terms that some overlap in their thinking - 'talent' and 'accomplishment' are not the same thing. Einstein clearly had a unique talent. Had he stuck only to clerking in the patent office and never publishing a paper...

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

53 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Well you highlight a difference in terms that some overlap in their thinking - 'talent' and 'accomplishment' are not the same thing. Einstein clearly had a unique talent. Had he stuck only to clerking in the patent office and never publishing a paper...

Very true .... And Edison working in the telegraph office.... But then started to rewire and redesign the systems. So....  Whether it's the MMA, music, art or technology.... I believe that we can agree that time on the clock doesn't necessarily mean predominance, though I believe time invested in something does make one better.

I remember hearing this... that if you put at least one hour a day into something for 5 years... Consistently... You can become an expert in that thing, who know... Maybe? But that could be whole different topic in itself.

Dave

For all the talk of skill acquisition, you have to love what you're doing as well. You could be a super talented musician, but hate music, whether you admit it to yourself or not and that's gonna hold you back. In addition to talent and hard work, there's self awareness. Just because you're good at something doesn't necessarily mean you love it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

26 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

For all the talk of skill acquisition, you have to love what you're doing as well. You could be a super talented musician, but hate music, whether you admit it to yourself or not and that's gonna hold you back. In addition to talent and hard work, there's self awareness. Just because you're good at something doesn't necessarily mean you love it.

That is so true. Right on the mark, @netvets. Love and Passion for that thing is like the fuel in the tank.

Dave

So if I worked really hard I would be able to get the same hip rotation speed as Rory McIlroy? Or be able to work the ball the way Bubba Watson does? Yeah, I doubt that. Hard work gets you to your peak. The height of your peak is determined by your talent. 

8 hours ago, tmac20 said:

So if I worked really hard I would be able to get the same hip rotation speed as Rory McIlroy? Or be able to work the ball the way Bubba Watson does? Yeah, I doubt that. Hard work gets you to your peak. The height of your peak is determined by your talent. 

Well stated.  I agree with this.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!