or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Cary Schoen and The Lower Body Lie That Is Devastating Golf (Troll Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cary Schoen and The Lower Body Lie That Is Devastating Golf (Troll Thread)

post #1 of 231
Thread Starter 
-The Lower Body Lie That Devastates Golf-

Although almost ALL modern golf instruction is a tragically flawed, cruel hoax, the area of horrendous advice that is almost universally communicated and causes the most damage is how to move the body (Pivot) in order to generate the forces necessary to whirl the arms, hands, and club into the ball.

The three main ways that golfers struggle with their downstroke pivot sequence are:
1) Overuse of the Lower Body
2) Wrong Sequence of Movement
3) Wrong Movement Direction

In my opinion, the problems that the aforementioned cause are the biggest destroyer of good golf than any of the other components that make up the golf stroke. Now, you can certainly still play poorly with a good pivot, but we just don't see it often. What we do see regularly are players that swing the club in a reasonable manner with their hands and arms, but still play AWFUL golf.

Many of the prescribed remedies that instructors offer to struggling golfers include:
1) Be more aggressive with the lower body
2) Transfer your weight sooner and get more on your left side at impact
3) Bump or slide your hips toward the target to initiate your downswing

The commentators during the PGA Tour telecasts exacerbate the problem by offering the diagnosis for poor shots as "he hung back on that one and didn't transfer his weight to his left side in time." The strange thing is that this diagnosis is offered for whether the player blocked the shot to the right, or pulled it to the left ???

Cary Schoen
post #2 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroComp View Post


Many of the prescribed remedies that instructors offer to struggling golfers include:
1) Be more aggressive with the lower body
2) Transfer your weight sooner and get more on your left side at impact
3) Bump or slide your hips toward the target to initiate your downswing

 

So these are the "lies"?  I agree with #2 and #3 to a point.  What good golfer doesn't have their weight forward at impact?  The average PGA Tour player has between 80-95% of his pressure on his front foot at impact. The average amateur has 55%.

post #3 of 231
Thread Starter 
I can't think of ANY good golfer that does not have some "weight forward" at impact
post #4 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroComp View Post

The three main ways that golfers struggle with their downstroke pivot sequence are:
1) Overuse of the Lower Body
2) Wrong Sequence of Movement
3) Wrong Movement Direction

In my opinion, the problems that the aforementioned cause are the biggest destroyer of good golf than any of the other components that make up the golf stroke. Now, you can certainly still play poorly with a good pivot, but we just don't see it often. What we do see regularly are players that swing the club in a reasonable manner with their hands and arms, but still play AWFUL golf.

Many of the prescribed remedies that instructors offer to struggling golfers include:
1) Be more aggressive with the lower body
2) Transfer your weight sooner and get more on your left side at impact
3) Bump or slide your hips toward the target to initiate your downswing
 

I'm confused, as well. So you're saying that a poor pivot is the reason most golfers struggle, but that the fix isn't the lower body motion?

post #5 of 231
Is there some kind of product I can buy to help me understand your post?
post #6 of 231

very strange because I can see in most impact position slow motion video that most of the weight is on the front foot by the time of impact... are my eyes lying to me?

post #7 of 231
Thread Starter 
I'm saying that the reason that most golfer's struggle IS a poor pivot and the fix IS in fact the lower body motion
post #8 of 231
Thread Starter 
I don't think that your eyes are fooling you. If measured, "most of your weight" is on your left by the time you're impacting
post #9 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroComp View Post

I'm saying that the reason that most golfer's struggle IS a poor pivot and the fix IS in fact the lower body motion

Oh. I didn't get that from this:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroComp View Post

-The Lower Body Lie That Devastates Golf-

Although almost ALL modern golf instruction is a tragically flawed, cruel hoax, the area of horrendous advice that is almost universally communicated and causes the most damage is how to move the body (Pivot) in order to generate the forces necessary to whirl the arms, hands, and club into the ball.

I thought you were one of those anti-modernist golf movement people.

post #10 of 231
Thread Starter 
I am
post #11 of 231

Oh no... here we go again...

post #12 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Is there some kind of product I can buy to help me understand your post?

 

Maybe a training aid, or a video series......or, dare I hope, both?!

post #13 of 231
Same OP post in golfwrx.
post #14 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroComp View Post

I am
So it's your position that golfers suffer from poor pivot and that the "modern" golf swing does not use lower body action?
post #15 of 231
Maybe you should stick to being a player instead of a spammer Cary?-Oh wait never mind.
post #16 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post
 

I thought you were one of those anti-modernist golf movement people.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroComp View Post

I am

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Maybe you should stick to being a player instead of a spammer Cary?-Oh wait never mind.

 

Maybe he'd be better off with a more modern golf swing.......

post #17 of 231

That was the most unclear post I've seen in a long time.  here's the gist

 

What's the issue?  (something's wrong - guess what it is).

It must be something to do with the "lower body pivot".  (so do golfers need more or less, how - can't tell - we have to guess)

People do stuff "wrong".  (wrong in what way?  I guess we have to guess more)

Apparently the OP is implying that some instructors provide direction that's counterproductive - whatever that direction is.

 

even more pithy - "normal swings and instruction are flawed"  (that's it, not even an offer to do it better or different, nor how - I guess the product pitch itself is to be inferred)

 

I guess if someone wants to advertise a product, or discuss a theory - they'd be better off stating out outright rather than cut and paste from a horribly written sales pamphlet that clearly was NOT designed to stand on its own.

 

If a sales pitch is this poorly organized, why on earth would I then be interested in anything developed by the same people?

post #18 of 231
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Cary Schoen and The Lower Body Lie That Is Devastating Golf (Troll Thread)