or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What would happen if the us amateur champion won the masters?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would happen if the us amateur champion won the masters?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

What if the us amateur champion wins the masters?  He is an amateur so he gets no prize money.  I'm sure he would get sponsors exemptions - but also as an am, right?.  So let's get crazy and say he gets 3 exemptions and wins 2.  Would he then be required to play on the web.com tour (assuming, of course, he wanted to play pro golf)?  

 

edit . .nevermind, I should've just looked it up.  He gets tour membership if he wins an event.  

post #2 of 14

I'd love to see it, I think it would be fun to see some bright eyed kid whip the field.

post #3 of 14

Hell freezes over.

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Hell freezes over.
With the winter we just had it just might happen.
post #5 of 14

No prize money would be zero issue, the sponsor deals coming his/her way would be insane.

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker View Post
 

What if the us amateur champion wins the masters?  He is an amateur so he gets no prize money.  I'm sure he would get sponsors exemptions - but also as an am, right?.  So let's get crazy and say he gets 3 exemptions and wins 2.  Would he then be required to play on the web.com tour (assuming, of course, he wanted to play pro golf)?

 

edit . .nevermind, I should've just looked it up.  He gets tour membership if he wins an event.

If he chose to forego his amateur status he would receive the money wouldn't he?

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcampbell View Post
 

No prize money would be zero issue, the sponsor deals coming his/her way would be insane.

If we're talking about the typical US Amateur winner that is a college player with aspirations of becoming a pro, then certainly.  What would be more interesting is if the US Mid-Am champion were to win.  Specifically, a guy like Nathan Smith.  Without knowing anything about him, he's clearly a "career" amateur, due to the fact that he's won the Mid-Am 4 times (03, 09, 10, 12).  If somebody wanted any money from endorsement deals, they'd have to turn pro, and I doubt a guy like that, who's obviously at least 36 years old, is planning on turning pro.

 

That would be a neat story.

post #8 of 14

Then we'd have to discuss is he the greatest amateur of all time...with who he beat compared to who others beat...back in the day...

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

If he chose to forego his amateur status he would receive the money wouldn't he?

 

No.  An amateur entering an event like that is accepting his invitation as an amateur.  Were he to declare as a professional before the event, he would lose his spot.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

No.  An amateur entering an event like that is accepting his invitation as an amateur.  Were he to declare as a professional before the event, he would lose his spot.

What I wonder about is whether he would have to remain an amateur to take advantage of the lifetime Masters exemption.  If you win the Amateur you have to stay an amateur in order to keep your Masters invitation.  But it would seem a little unfair to me if you lost your lifetime exemption because you turned pro.

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

No.  An amateur entering an event like that is accepting his invitation as an amateur.  Were he to declare as a professional before the event, he would lose his spot.

What I wonder about is whether he would have to remain an amateur to take advantage of the lifetime Masters exemption.  If you win the Amateur you have to stay an amateur in order to keep your Masters invitation.  But it would seem a little unfair to me if you lost your lifetime exemption because you turned pro.

 

No way.  The exemption is for the victory.  It has nothing to do with amateur/professional status.....

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

No way.  The exemption is for the victory.  It has nothing to do with amateur/professional status.....

That is what I would have thought, but I'm not really sure.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

If he chose to forego his amateur status he would receive the money wouldn't he?

 

I believe there's an issue to do with timing, and I assume it would be the same in the US as it would Europe

 

About 15-20 years ago the then amateur Justin Rose had a good run in the Open before fizzling out, but this issue came to the fore then. He turned Pro the next day (Monday) but entered the Open as an amateur and so that was deemed his status. He didn't get a penny. 

 

On turning professional (with many predicting a stellar career) he proceeded to miss about 25 consecutive cuts!!!

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Hell freezes over.


ha ha so true

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What would happen if the us amateur champion won the masters?