Zekez

Private Club Question

42 posts / 3013 viewsLast Reply

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question.

A  friend was invited to a swanky private Country Club to golf.  He got a round of golf and lunch (member has a food allowance each month that must be spent), but the member of the club that invited my friend told him that he had to take care of tipping the caddy.  Is this the way it is usually handled?  We both thought that when my friend was invited that meant "keep your wallet at home".  Are we mistaken in thinking that?

Thanks.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

31 minutes ago, Zekez said:

A  friend was invited to a swanky private Country Club to golf.  He got a round of golf and lunch (member has a food allowance each month that must be spent), but the member of the club that invited my friend told him that he had to take care of tipping the caddy.  Is this the way it is usually handled?  We both thought that when my friend was invited that meant "keep your wallet at home".  Are we mistaken in thinking that?

Sounds like it's still a pretty good deal to me. Was that sprung on him after he'd arrived, or was that mentioned beforehand?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any time that I’m invited to play at a private club I fully expect to pay a guest fee, and will make it a point to offer to buy drinks or lunch for whoever invited me.  I also tip the staff pretty generously.  I consider that to be the least I can do in appreciation for the invite to play a private club.

As often as not, the member insists that I’m his guest and that he’ll take care of everything, but I would never expect that to be the case.  The fact that there’s a monthly or quarterly food and beverage minimum (it’s not an allowance) doesn’t mean that the member isn’t still paying for it...

When I invite someone to play at my club, I generally pick up their fees, but appreciate it if they tip the staff, or offer to pay for the drinks.  I would find it a bit presumptuous if they expected that I was paying for their entire day, even though I’ll often do so.  

Edited by David in FL

16 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Any time that I’m invited to play at a private club I fully expect to pay a guest fee, and will make it a point to offer to buy drinks or lunch for whoever invited me.  I also tip the staff pretty generously.  I consider that to be the least I can do in appreciation for the invite to play a private club.

As often as not, the member insists that I’m his guest and that he’ll take care of everything, but I would never expect that to be the case.  The fact that there’s a monthly or quarterly food and beverage minimum (it’s not an allowance) doesn’t mean that the member isn’t still paying for it...

When I invite someone to play at my club, I generally pick up their fees, but appreciate it if they tip the staff, or offer to pay for the drinks.  I would find it a bit presumptuous if they expected that I was paying for their entire day, even though I’ll often do so.  

Well said David.  I would do the same thing but usually when I play a private club I've sneaked on.  Wouldn't want to call attention to myself.

Truth be told, I don't sneak onto private courses anymore.   BUT...

As a late teen, growing up in St. Louis, I had to be creative to be able to play some of the best courses that were not available to me.  I had played all the public courses in the area and still wanted more... the lure of the country clubs was quite strong... beautiful holes unplayed by me.   After making reconnaissance missions to the parking lots of the exclusive private clubs I came up with a plan.  I concocted a fail-safe scheme to sneak onto the private courses.  (Before you get too excited please understand this plan only works for teens who the world thinks can be quite naive at times)

I, along with a friend I had schooled in my scheme, would walk onto the first tee... looking like we knew what we were doing.  We dressed the part... golf shirt, golf slacks, nice shoes.   We didn't furtively look around thinking we might get caught.  We just teed up our shots, smacked them down the middle of the fairway (usually) and casually strolled after them, all the time making sure not to jump in front of any other golfers on the first tee.  Being private clubs there rarely were many players waiting to tee off... usually none.

If caught, and we were on occasion, my friend and I stuck to our made-up story.  All fictional, it seems we were at a bowling alley the prior day and met a Mr. Weinroth.  Bowled with him a bit and brought up that we were golfers.  Amazingly, he too, was a golfer and a member of a private country club.  Now, Mr. Weinroth had had a few beers... when he invited us to join him to play a round of golf.  He said he might be running late but to just go ahead and tee off, he'd meet us on the back nine, and take care of everything.

This story worked every time we were caught and the head pro who quizzed us let us go.  Now, as an adult, I have this feeling that a lot of these pros suspected our scheme and they, too, had done the same thing years ago when they were teens.  But without the story.  I think the pros liked our creativity and ushered us off the course with a twinkle in their eye.  They had been there, done that, and weren't going to get us in trouble.  It's all about the love of golf and the love of forbidden golf courses.

I have been on both sides of this many times. Some friends invite me and I know I am their guest with no $ put forth. Many clubs have restrictions regarding tipping also. With the friends who cover me for the day I reciprocate accordingly. When caddies are involved my typical guidance is that I will cover at the very least my caddie and tip. Overall though I keep a mental balance sheet and hope to keep it near balance. If the only ask was a caddie tip....A reciprocal is called for. 

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well said David.  I would do the same thing but usually when I play a private club I've sneaked on.  Wouldn't want to call attention to myself.

Truth be told, I don't sneak onto private courses anymore.   BUT...

As a late teen, growing up in St. Louis, I had to be creative to be able to play some of the best courses that were not available to me.  

WTF....the OP asked for an opinion if a member asking a guest to pay for their caddie tip was an appropriate gesture...and you turn it into a passive brag to publicly tell people on this forum how you sneaked ('stole' a golf rd)  onto private courses??????

Gotta luv this internet thing and to be entertained on what gems you might find posted on cyber space.

Edited by Mr22putt

5 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

WTF....the OP asked for an opinion if a member asking a guest to pay for their caddie tip was an appropriate gesture...and you turn it into a passive brag to publicly tell people on this forum how you sneaked ('stole' a golf rd)  onto private courses??????

Gotta luv this internet thing and to be entertained on what gems you might find posted on cyber space.

Thank you.  I'm glad you found it entertaining.  I feel I made the proper correlation and had a little fun in sharing a story from my youth of thievery and relating it to the ongoing posts. You don't always have to color between the lines.

OP

I don't think it's inappropriate for the member to ask the guest to tip the caddie.

I for one always reciprocate when I'm invited to a private club...usually when I meet the member in the locker room to change into my golf shoes...I'll shake their hand and hand them a $100-$150 GC to a nice restaurant along with either a nice bottle of wine or scotch or whisky or a dozen golf balls

4 hours ago, Zekez said:

Thanks.

Always bring your wallet.  You never know when you're going to make a hole-in-one and need to buy drinks.

I don't think it's inappropriate.  Every time I've played at a private club, it's been for work, so everything was taken care of for me...but I still made sure to have cash just in case, and offered to pay for different parts of the outing.

It certainly would be nice if the host mentioned beforehand, but still, you should be ready to offer to pay for some things if you're asked to play at a private club.

6 hours ago, Zekez said:

We both thought that when my friend was invited that meant "keep your wallet at home".  Are we mistaken in thinking that?

Thanks.

Ungrateful [ uhn-greyt-fuh l ]

adjective

unappreciative; not displaying gratitude; not giving due return or recompense for benefits conferred:

6 hours ago, Zekez said:

Thanks.

When the inviter says to the invitee, "Keep your wallet at home" then that is what you can do. Although it may be difficult to explain to the state trooper who pulls you over.

One other thought...

If someone asked if you wanted to join him for a round at a public course, would you automatically expect that he would pick up the tab?  

Private clubs charge a guest fee when a member brings a guest.  At most upscale private clubs, that fee is often relatively high compared to the greens fees at even nice public courses.  That’s done intentionally to minimize outside guest play.  Of course additional costs such as caddie fees, tips, and food and beverage are extra.

Just for perspective, at my nice, but by no means “high-end” club, I’ll expect to pay somewhere around $100 for a guest to play and have a drink or 2 afterwards.  No caddies...

I suppose it is different for everyone.  Interesting reading above.  In my case the Pro shop doesn't let the guest pay, it goes on my bill.  So if I invite someone, I make sure in advance that it is understood  either I am paying or I expect to get reimbursed.  That has a lot to do with whether I invite the friend on my own or if they call and ask if I'll invite them because they would like to play the course. 

I was invited to a private club once. I wasn't sure of the protocol, and offered to pay my way. I was told that no cash passes hands at the club. Everything must be signed for by the member. I tried to buy drinks, but the same rule applied. I did offer to reimburse the member, but the offer was declined. I did take him and his wife out for a nice dinner shortly thereafter.

If I am invited to play at someone else's club, I always offer to pay and if that is declined, then my statement is always "Allow me to at least tip".  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

When I invite someone to play at my club, all charges go on my club account.  If they offer to tip, great.  If they don't, so be it.  They were my guest to begin with.  

I view it similarly to going out to lunch with someone when it is not business.  If they say they will pick up the tab, same thing...I say, "How much is the tip, I will pay it."  If I am picking up the check, I don't ask them to pay the tip but if they offer, I will let them do it.  

I have always looked at it like this...if I am getting to play a club I may not have ever played and may never get a chance again....great deal for me.  The least I can do is offer to pay any tips.  So, if I was asked to pay the tip...hell, I would just pay it and think nothing of it.  

Edited by RickK

Since I will never have the financial resources to join a private golf club I can only state what I WOULD do if i was a member.  Personally if I invited a friend to play golf and spend the day at the club I would not ask for anything in return.  It would all be on me.  It's my pleasure.

Now I certainly understand a guest offering to pay the tip, but drinks, etc.  But no way would I allow my guest to spend money. 

Frankly I 'm a little surprised that the member would ask a guest to pay for anything if they invited the friend to play at the club.  We are allowed to do nice things without expecting retribution.