IGNORED

Tommy Fleetwood is Overrated

Phil McGleno

• Administrator

European Tour events are overrated. This has been demonstrated several times.

OWGR I mean.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/28/2019 at 3:08 PM, ChrisP said:

And his PGA trophy case is still as big as mine.

True, but his bank account might be doing better, at least from his earnings playing golf.

John

• 3 months later...

Fleetwood a nice guy...but what we just saw is why this thread exists. Another Westwood in the making. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy...   :doh:

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy...   :doh:

Yeah...need a birdie to go to a play off, par 5 with a good drive...and that? This thread just got some teeth again...lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 6/6/2019 at 11:03 AM, iacas said:

He did have one year where he finished top five in every major. He won the Players, too. That's a big event with a strong field. He's done quite a bit more than Tommy Fleetwood.

Make a "Rickie is Overrated" topic. I doubt you'd get much discussion, though, as most probably agree.

I might argue The Players is a better win than The PGA championship, which actually is a major? I agree with Rickie being a bit overhyped. But I cant help liking and rooting for him anyway. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I might argue The Players is a better win than The PGA championship, which actually is a major? I agree with Rickie being a bit overhyped. But I cant help liking and rooting for him anyway. 

The Players might have the strongest field in all of golf. But among majors, the PGA is actually the highest, and it's an actual major. That still carries weight.

And "might" is on its way out of town. The Players almost always IS the strongest field. But it doesn't have the major title/weight.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

The Players might have the strongest field in all of golf. But among majors, the PGA is actually the highest, and it's an actual major. That still carries weight.

And "might" is on its way out of town. The Players almost always IS the strongest field. But it doesn't have the major title/weight.

Agreed. 

I like Rickie, so I'll slant my arguement in his favor. 

On 6/12/2019 at 6:50 AM, boogielicious said:

I think he really needs to win a big tournament and major to match all the press he is getting though. Ryder Cup has performances from players that will never win majors on both sides. So I think that should be seen as a different category. 

I like the guy and his game. But like Fowler, he needs to put in four great rounds in a major and be in the final group to see what he is really made of. 

I think this is a very fair assessment 

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Ya...Fowler's win record isn't great...but I like Fowler cause he's super nice to the kids, engaging and a classy guy....and seems down to earth....the PGA pros are entertainers and Fowler fits the bill for me.

But I also like good golf and really appreciated Im's play at the Honda today....I just don't like tools like Bubba, Mike Weir, etc.

I like Fleetwood...but ya can't be a mental midget and rinse your 2nd shot on 18...golf is TOUGH.

You hate left handers? 😄

Also, Fleetwoods error on 18 wasn't mental.  He knew not to do that.  He saw the water, probably had noticed it the 3 or 4 days prior.  If not, I'm sure his caddie pointed it out at some point during the week.  He knows how to not hit a blocked cut.  His error was physical.  It happens to the best, this was just a horrific time.  His play leading up to that shot was world-class.  He'll be fine.

Edited by 3jacker

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Guess who made this list…

600x600wp.png

‎Show No Laying Up - Golf Podcast, Ep NLU Podcast, Episode 307: Overappreciated Players - Apr 28, 2020

On 3/2/2020 at 9:45 AM, 3jacker said:

You hate left handers? 😄

Also, Fleetwoods error on 18 wasn't mental.  He knew not to do that.  He saw the water, probably had noticed it the 3 or 4 days prior.  If not, I'm sure his caddie pointed it out at some point during the week.  He knows how to not hit a blocked cut.  His error was physical.  It happens to the best, this was just a horrific time.  His play leading up to that shot was world-class.  He'll be fine.

I disagree about the mental error.

Pin and water on the right. His stock shot is a draw. Instead of hitting a draw to the center / left side of the green (then 2 putting for playoff), he tried the hero shot.

He went against his natural shot shot and tried to fade one in there tight. We know what happened from there.

I agree his error was “physical”. But he tried the wrong shot. This is why I believe it was a mental mistake.

Edited by Slim_Pivot
Changed left to right

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

But he tried the wrong shot.

It's the shot he thought he had to hit to win the tournament.

I don't think it was the "wrong shot."

1 minute ago, iacas said:

It's the shot he thought he had to hit to win the tournament.

I don't think it was the "wrong shot."

I’d agree if he tried it with at least an iron. 

He tried it with a 3-wood, when he didn’t have to.

I’m all for “going for the win”. But it’s like throwing a high risk pass to the end zone from the 35 yard line that gets picked with 10 seconds left. 

Its not like trying to squeeze one in there from the 15 yard line.

My point is, it was too high risk. I’d agree if he was closer to the green. The risk would be more appropriate with an iron.

*The idea of the Football analogy is if FG ties*

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I’m all for “going for the win”. But it’s like throwing a high risk pass to the end zone from the 35 yard line that gets picked with 10 seconds left.

Why you think a Ryder Cup star trying to play a fade is "like throwing a high risk pass" I don't know.

I think you're attaching far too much to the mental stuff here. He didn't pull off the shot. Doesn't mean his decision was wrong.

Back to the topic, though, please. The mental game - and another response to your post here - is here:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 9:44 PM, iacas said:

Do you think it's time we start talking about 5 majors?