IGNORED

Tipping Course Monitors

Patch
Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/11/2019 at 8:30 AM, FlyingAce said:

Tipping is going out of control in the US. Am I supposed to tip the security guard at my club too so he will lift the gate faster for me to drive thru? I never got tipped for doing my job that I was paid to do.

This x1000000000.  Everyone expects a handout for doing their job.  But if ya don't tip you get called names, because giving money is the ultimate way of showing what a decent person one is!!

Edited by Zekez
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zekez said:

This x1000000000.  Everyone expects a handout for doing their job.  But if ya don't tip you get called names, because giving money is the ultimate way of showing what a decent person one is!!

Tips are earned, and should not be expected without earning that gratuity. By the same token tips are really not required. It's an individual thing. If you want to give a tip, that's fine. If you don't, that's just as fine. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Then don’t tip.  Ultimately it’s up to you.

What do you care if you get “called names”?  Especially from people for whom you seem to have little concern or respect...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:45 PM, Patch said:

In my book, monitors can get a lot more done by being gracious in their duties.  It's too their advantage not to be a bully. 

They are also authority figures.

Unfortunately, there are people who will not obey an authority figure who is nice. Hence, the reputation of police for being stern.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:22 AM, David in FL said:

Then don’t tip.  Ultimately it’s up to you.

What do you care if you get “called names”?  Especially from people for whom you seem to have little concern or respect...

What does tipping  have to do with respect? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zekez said:

What does tipping  have to do with respect? 

Nothing.

Stating derisively, that  “everyone expects a hand out for doing their job…” speaks volumes though.

8 minutes ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

Guilt^ is what tipping is based on. 

Anyone who feels compelled to tip solely because of guilt really needs to work on their own self confidence!  ;-)

In David's bag....

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

Anyone who feels compelled to tip solely because of guilt really needs to work on their own self confidence!  ;-)

I was referring to your statements ATTEMPTING to guilt people into tipping. And my my short game is the only thing affecting self confidence at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

I was referring to your statements ATTEMPTING to guilt people into tipping. And my my short game is the only thing affecting self confidence at the moment. 

I know.  And you completely misunderstand me.  I couldn’t care less if you, or anyone else tips.

I find it interesting though that some people seem to resent those of us who do tip, as if we’re part of some kind of vast conspiracy to drag that last dime out of their change purse.  :-D

In David's bag....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

I think you are waaaaay over estimating how much people think/care about what you do or don't do. 

Exactly.  I dont care who tips who.  Or how much.  But it is out of hand.

5 hours ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

I think you are waaaaay over estimating how much people think/care about what you do or don't do. 

1 hour ago, Zekez said:

Exactly.  I dont care who tips who.  Or how much.  But it is out of hand.

How can you believe that tipping is “out of hand”, but at the same time not care that many of us choose to tip?

I’ve never once tipped because I felt that I was compelled to do so.

If you don’t want to tip, don’t.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

I don't know, I'm a pretty generous person but I don't know that I'd tip someone in this position. As many have mentioned, they tend to be compensated in a pretty fair way already. That said, not one course in my area has a ranger/course monitor. I think one or two courses I've gone to in Dayton had them but I think I've only seen them driving the course a couple of times, other than that they just check your receipt and ask your tee time at the first tee. Not exactly a service that I consider tip-able.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Hell, tip everybody!  You can't take it with you.  When I fly I always tip the pilot.  At a classical concert I tip the bass player.  I tip my doctor after a DRE.  When I spent a few days at Pebble Beach I tipped everyone in the lodge even though tipping wasn't required and tips were factored into your room rate.  Tell ya what, I was the most popular guy there that week... and they all called me by name.  Even took my caddie out for a drink in addition to his tip.  Tipping can be fun and liberating.  Most of the foregoing is true.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't know, I'm a pretty generous person but I don't know that I'd tip someone in this position. As many have mentioned, they tend to be compensated in a pretty fair way already. That said, not one course in my area has a ranger/course monitor. I think one or two courses I've gone to in Dayton had them but I think I've only seen them driving the course a couple of times, other than that they just check your receipt and ask your tee time at the first tee. Not exactly a service that I consider tip-able.

Yeah, the rangers at Kittyhawk are useless. The starters basically check your ticket, but they are non existent usually after the leagues tee off in the evenings. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people come and spend time on the range and then sneak out to one of the tees after the starter goes back to the cart barn to sit around and BS with the others.

- Shane

10 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Yeah, the rangers at Kittyhawk are useless. The starters basically check your ticket, but they are non existent usually after the leagues tee off in the evenings. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people come and spend time on the range and then sneak out to one of the tees after the starter goes back to the cart barn to sit around and BS with the others.

Oh. There's one thing those guys are good for. 

They run around the place in their carts and when they see an opening, they play a hole. You see this all the time when it isn't crowded.

That freaking guy with the dreads annoys the heck out of me.

Edited by mcanadiens

Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!