IGNORED

Tipping Course Monitors

Patch
Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Someone in another thread brought up, that by not tipping course monitors/rangers, they had no incentive to act nicely when telling groupes to speed up play, or otherwise follow other course rules. 

Of course I am assuming most course monitors/rangers are volunteers. 

Imho, the incentive is the free play they recieve for volunteering their time. Some get free range balls, and beverages too. 

Monitors at my home course(s) get free play. Some of them play 5 or more rounds a week. Usually more than 18 holes per round.  Free range balls/beverages too.  I know this because I play some of those rounds with them. At $25 w/cart, per round (locals), thats a damn fine, weekly incentive in my book.

In my book, monitors can get a lot more done by being gracious in their duties.  It's too their advantage not to be a bully. 

Myself I tip the waitresses, cart ladies, and which ever youngster is there cleaning clubs, I take good care of them youngsters, because most of them know my Granddaughters...lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At my club all outside staff share tips, so by tipping at all, I’m assured to include everyone.  I also make it a point to specifically recognize those who go above and beyond at the holiday season...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I would have to wake them up or go looking for them at the courses I play in order to give them a tip. :-P

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, Patch said:

Someone in another thread brought up, that by not tipping course monitors/rangers, they had no incentive to act nicely when telling groupes to speed up play, or otherwise follow other course rules. 

You mean other than the fact that it's their job and purpose for being there?  Free golf, beverages and range balls is a form of compensation.  

Tipping is going out of control in the US. Am I supposed to tip the security guard at my club too so he will lift the gate faster for me to drive thru? I never got tipped for doing my job that I was paid to do.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was a ranger at a local course down here in Florida for a number of years. I think I only got tipped once in all that time. The job started out as a volunteer job with free golf and half price food and beverages. Then, one day, I got called in the office and told that Uncle Sam wanted his share of taxes on that compensation, so in order to figure it all out, I got minimum wage to boot, along with the free golf and half price meals. Not bad for riding around in a cart all day and being nice to people.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

As I said in the other thread, i'm not a cheap guy, but in my experience most rangers/marshals at the courses I play don't do anything to help the speed of play.  They drive around once or twice and then BS with the starter the rest of the time.  They are there to clock their time, that's about it.

When it's slow you ask them what the hold up is, they point out it's the group so many holes ahead of you, then you ask them did you say anything to them, then you get the dear in the headlight look.  It was cart path only last weekend, a group in front of us were riding all over the place, I told the ranger he needed to say something, he rode off, when he came around about an hour later he just drove by them.  We had to drive up and remind them.

Golf is already expensive, I don't need to be nickel and dime'd for everything else around the course.

• Like 1

Gus
---------------

2 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Tipping is going out of control in the US. Am I supposed to tip the security guard at my club too so he will lift the gate faster for me to drive thru? I never got tipped for doing my job that I was paid to do.

Mabye I should get tipped for fixing an extra ball mark on the green.

• Like 2

I dont think you have to. Waiters, valets, caddies etc are offering you a personalized service - person to person. Rangers and pro-shop staff are working for the course doing their everyday job. Two different things i think. 

• Upvote 1

Rangers at my course basically ride around in their cart, look for an open hole and practice. They also spend a lot of time looking for lost balls in hazards to use for their complimentary round. The only tip I would give them is to actually do something useful like fix some of the 20-30 pitch marks on greens that were left or perhaps help golfers who are falling behind find their balls that are typically 50 or more yards behind where they are actually looking.

- Shane

Heck no, I wouldn't tip.   I like the rangers at my course, but I assume the people that they choose not to tell to speed up are tipping them something, because some people get treated like royalty and the rest of us get griped at.

—Adam

On 7/11/2019 at 8:30 AM, FlyingAce said:

Agree 100%. 

I pay $18 for a haircut that takes 20 minutes...First I don't believe I should tip in the first place ( I paid her price for the haircut) but if I don't tip her well enough I have to worry is she going to cut my hair right the next time?

My course snack bar has a tip jar...why should I tip when all she did was ring up a gatorade and candy bar that I took out of the refrigerator and carried to the counter.

Many fast food places have either a tip jar or request a tip when you pay...why would I tip before I've even had service, but makes you wonder if they may screw with your food.

I don't understand those that don't have the club boy clean their clubs but still tip them anyway?

I do tip casual dine in restaurants, they start off at 20% when I walk in an can only go down from there depending on service.

I also tip the cart girl.

I

• Like 1

It only works when they are asleep and it isn't a nice thing to do in any case.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 7/11/2019 at 7:30 AM, FlyingAce said:

So true. When you go to Jersey Mike’s for a sub sandwich, fast food joint, and the CC machine has an option for a tip........it’s gone too far

The local pizza joints have a tip option for the credit card payment on takeout!   I've seen it at fast food places too!   I believe tipping is acknowledgement of good service received.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Tipping a ranger? For doing what??? Ridiculous. They're employees of the golf management company that runs the course. They get paid minimum wage and allowed a certain number of free rounds per week. They're not "waiting" on me like at a restaurant. And yeah, I agree with the above post that tipping in general is getting nuts. Other than at national chains like McD's or B.K., there's tipping jars at every place that serves food. Maybe, if I'm in a good mood or the cash register person doesn't have a miserable personality I'll leave some coins from the change that was made.  There is a great burger/hot dog joint in a nearby town that's lower-middle class manned by mostly local high school kids. I usually leave a tip in the jar there.

I'm remembering now when I was a kid (50 years ago) trying to get onto the county golf course on a weekend, the only way to not have to wait in line 4 hours was to "smear" the starter 5 bucks, which was infuriating to me considering it only cost $7.50 to play. That was a pretty big tip paid by the adults who could afford it and the starters job was given to ex-cops or other retired county employees as pay-offs for something or other. 

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

We have a voluntary contribution towards the end of the year. This is divided between guys on the crew/cart guys/ rangers. I always contribute, but don't tip on a daily basis.

Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!