IGNORED

New to Golf, Getting Laughed At

Elaine64
Note: This thread is 1676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I heard something on pga golf radio from one of the coach hosts: work on your worst mistake, whatever you think it is. and just work on that until you get it...then move to the next worst mistake.

Apparently working on one thing at a time at a time lets you know when its fixed.

and write it down in your own practice book. It seems , at times, there are so many things related to golf and the swing, we seem to get caught up with trying to fix everything at once, and then forget to fix anything.

and enjoy the ride...one day you'll discover you are hitting the ball decently and want to go do it again.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, Elaine64 said:

I have practically been laughed off the green lol, if anyone has any pointers please let me know.

I sincerely hope this is an exaggeration.  Laughing at someone is a total bonehead move.  Look through the instructional content on the site, there's good threads regarding posture, grip, setup.  There aren't many one size fits all solutions, so posting a member swing as recommended is a good idea and taking lessons always helps.  Best of luck!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

" practically been laughed off the green lol "

I think you are being modest and self deprecating and it's not happening for real (or at least in any mean spirited ways)?  But this is what's generating most of the comments.....as we'd all likely intervene if we saw someone doing that in any negative way - even to strangers....

1 - Great attitude to chuckle at yourself and your experience in learning something that is not guaranteed to be easy in any way.

2 - get a couple lessons and learn some basics before you create too many bad habits

3 - have fun - it's a game - it's a game where you hit a ball with a stick - it's a game where you hit a ball with a stick where some places they care more about how much money you make or what type of shorts you wear than if you are any good or not - it's a game where some can even tie their identity or ego to how they perform relative to some stranger.....like any hobby....

actually - it's a game that can be incredibly relaxing and fun and challenging - vs annoying angering and frustrating.......choose the first option and have a great time with it.  post a swing video - you'll get help.  it's a good crowd here

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

16 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I will laugh at you. Dont post your swing in here unless you shoulder soul crushing weight of ridicule and mockery. 

Huh??? I hope you are being facetious. Otherwise, this a a rude post dude. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Huh??? I hope you are being facetious. Otherwise, this a a rude post dude. 

He was definitely being sarcastic. 

As someone prone to sarcasm on occasion, I recognize it. It just doesn't always come across clearly in short internet posts. The description "soul crushing weight" is the give away.

I have been watching a YouTube channel called Golf VLOGS UK. It's playful golf for "a fiver" among high and low HCP friends that is recognizable to me. Liam Harrison and buddy guys and gals needle each other just as often as they praise a good shot. I used to play in a group called The Dozen. We played numerous individual and team bets. I had to learn not to wear my feelings on my sleeve and to give as good as I got. I also learned to get the ball in the hole any way I could or lose money fast! I played my best golf then and had a much lower HCP because of those guys. Just nostalgia I guess but I can't imagine not getting needled by my buds. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

45 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

As someone prone to sarcasm on occasion, I recognize it. It just doesn't always come across clearly in short internet posts. The description "soul crushing weight" is the give away.

kind of a 'no kidding' thing - not even sarcastic, just funny in a particular way

the fact that this even needed to be clarified crushes my soul

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

21 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

kind of a 'no kidding' thing - not even sarcastic, just funny in a particular way

It might have crushed mine as well were it not for the fact that I have no soul.

But, it is also a fact that some people just don't read things the same way. You gotta be careful with the written word, especially when there is minimal context.

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Adding an emoji helps with allowing others to understand your intentions.   

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

13 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Adding an emoji helps with allowing others to understand your intentions.   

it's too late, already dead inside    🐿️  🌮  🚻   🔧

• Like 1

Bill - 

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

You and I know this, but the OP may not. We don't want to scare folks away from the site or game. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 9/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, Elaine64 said:

Hi, I hope you are having a good day. I am new to the world of golf, I am having a difficult time getting my swing in control, I have practically been laughed off the green lol, if anyone has any pointers please let me know. Thank you so much, Elaine 

My wife and I went golfing together for the first time. I've gone a few times alone but this was her very first time golfing and we laughed a lot! It was a blast though. I let people go ahead of us but try not to sweat it, just have fun! This is me missing an easy putt haha! Hope this helps. 

20190923_044445.jpg

Note: This thread is 1676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!