IGNORED

New to Golf, Getting Laughed At

Elaine64
Note: This thread is 1649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I hope you are having a good day. I am new to the world of golf, I am having a difficult time getting my swing in control, I have practically been laughed off the green lol, if anyone has any pointers please let me know. Thank you so much, Elaine 

• Like 1

Welcome to The Sand Trap.   You won't find anybody laughing at your golf swing here on the forum, we're here to help each other get better.   There is a wealth of great information and videos to help your game.    

There is a member's swing thread where you can record your swing and upload it here to get free unbiased help.  Member's Swings.   To get help with your golf game, you need to be specific.   Just wanting to improve doesn't allow the many experts here on the forum to give you detailed advise.  

We're glad you've decided to join.   

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.

Pay no attention to those "laughers". They are mentally ill in some way. Their memories are suspect, since they don't remenber when folks most likely laughed at their new to golf game.

Get some quality swing instruction, and practice that instruction as much as possible.

Also, if you have the technology, you can post a video of your swing on this forum, and recieve some decent advice. .

Enjoy your golf journey. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm an easily embarrassed type myself, so I know it can be difficult especially as a beginner.

Maybe you hang around a cruel crowd, but everyone was a beginner at one point or another and even the best of us still hit bad shots. I think most golfers are either supportive or, at worst, indifferent to the beginner as long as there isn't a pace of play issue on the course.

In short, don't worry about it.

Be patient. Learn as much as you can. Pick easy courses to begin with and have fun with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Golf is a great game in part because I can play with anyone (PGA pro, absolute beginner or 3 year old) and have fun. I don't need you to hit the ball well to play my game. Just keep up on pace and be good company.

Sorry they are being rude (unless they are friends then all  bets are off).  Play with better people.

• Like 3

I would never laugh at someone who is holding a golf club in their hands. :~( Seriously, though, maybe it's time to laugh with them and then move on to your next shot. If they see that their laughter doesn't bother you it may take away some of their enjoyment of your response. Or find a better group of people to play golf with.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They laughed at Galileo, they laughed at the Wright brothers, they laughed at Robert Fulton, and they laughed at Bozo the clown.  You are in good company.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Yikes my new friend, I am sorry you are experiencing this.  Are there other courses to go to?  There's plenty of room in golf for players of all abilities.  If it happens at a course when I am there, get my attention and I'll gently explain to them why laughing at someone like that isn't okay.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

All golf courses, the world over, have your idiots. The ones who talk a great game, laugh at others whilst standing proudly next to their full set of PXGs and proceed to shank it off the tee whilst looking at their playing partners and declaring, loudly, "it's been YEARS since I did that!", whilst the scuff marks on their clubs tell a different  story.

Ignore them, enjoy the game and the learning experience. I marshalled the open this year and was with Rosey when he shanked a ball onto the next fairway. He laughed, at himself. It happens. Still the greatest game in the world, at all levels.

16 hours ago, Elaine64 said:

Hi, I hope you are having a good day. I am new to the world of golf, I am having a difficult time getting my swing in control, I have practically been laughed off the green lol, if anyone has any pointers please let me know. Thank you so much, Elaine 

Good on you! For taking up the most rewarding game and for saying "lol" to those others. They had to begin somewhere, sometime, too. A golf laugh can be good-natured ribbing or just mean. I have experienced both. But a REAL golfer has been through so many ups and downs, so many good shots that go impossibly wrong, and poor shots that go impossibly right...we get TENDERIZED, more accepting of all things golf.  I hope you will spend a little time with a coach getting the basics without too much technical gibberish; and then more time playing and learning your swing; and then some more time with your coach. You will be great. Best,-Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

16 hours ago, Elaine64 said:

I'm sure those "laughers" are laughably bad at something you are very good at. Just ignore them.

As a few have pointed out, learning golf can take time and some patience on your part. If you can find a good local instructor or group lesson, that can really help start you out. Group instruction for a first timer can be fun, especially if you do it with friends. You should be able to pick up the basics pretty quickly.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Golf is a self deprecating game.  There isn’t a single golfer on this planet that has the game to be laughing at another.  The only one laughing at you, should be you.  If it’s the group you’re playing with, find another group.  If it’s random golfers laughing, they are just jerks.  I enjoy playing with new golfers and if they ask for tips or critiques on their swing, I try to help, but I would never intentionally embarrass them.  Most golfers understand that golf as frustrating as it is a fun.  My advice if it bothers you, play alone at off times when you can focus on your game, or find a good friend and learn together.  If you were in my area, I’d welcome you if you wanted to play a round.

Edited by Kevlar10

Control what you have control over. I think find a new crowd. The game is humbling for sure but humiliation from others not necessary at all. No need to feed jerks. 

Vishal S.

Kevlar10's comment is spot on.

However .... you need to have some ability, and knowledge of etiquette, before venturing onto the course.

If you are taking air shots or hitting the ball just a few yards, then consider some more off course practice.

It cannot tell you that golf gets any easier; but we all become accustomed to hitting less than perfect shots.

20 hours ago, Elaine64 said:

I have practically been laughed off the green

No worries bro, I’ve been sympathetically encouraged to quit the round by total strangers. You provide humor, I provide utter pity and discomfort...and I’ve played for years. Cheers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I just started playing a couple months ago and at first my swing was so horrendous that I'd fall on my butt more often than not and the only divots I'd take were with my feet.  My family got a good chuckle and as frustrating as it was then it is something I can look back and laugh at now.  As the others said lessons are a great way to improve and learn the basics, also I've found playing alone when the course isn't busy takes a lot of pressure off yourself while your still learning.  I've even played with complete strangers who've been extremely patient and encouraging while I whiffed the ball.  It's a fun game and sooner, rather than later the results will come!  

Happy golfing and welcome to the forum!

The key really is to take lessons.  Find someone you would be comfortable with that can teach you a correct grip and a basic swing.

Decades ago a rite of passage was going from a Par 3 course to full 18 hole course.  Sadly, a lot of those short muni’s are gone.  But it is still the best place for a beginner to learn the game and have success.  Heck, as kids some of our best results were from tee shots that rolled to the green.  There is still an environment of having to chip and make that putt to score.

The reality of playing golf on a full size course is being able to swing hard enough under control to get the ball down the fairway.  Our daughter-in-law doesn’t play golf but has a natural ability to swing hard.  When we go to the range and she actually connects with it, the ball flies.  I’ve encouraged her to take lessons to transform that power into a golf swing.

An instructor can tell you what to work on, but more importantly what you can expect from your game as you move forward.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

Thinking about this thread again. I can remember laughing at my own poor executions of my golf swing and/or putting strokes. 

The old grinning "how the hell did I do that?" scenario. 

If you can't laugh at yourself, what's left for you to do? 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!