Jump to content
Billy Z

Medical Marijuana Question?

46 posts / 4874 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

 

What are the USGA rules on medical marijuana while competing in a tournament? I know of an individual who does this on a regular basis while playing to relieve stress, and wonder if he is breaking the rules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

 

What are the USGA rules on medical marijuana while competing in a tournament? I know of an individual who does this on a regular basis while playing to relieve stress, and wonder if he is breaking the rules?

I can only imagine using something like this during a round would definitely be against the rules. It would be a performance enhancing effect to reduce stress during a competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Billy Z said:

 

What are the USGA rules on medical marijuana while competing in a tournament? I know of an individual who does this on a regular basis while playing to relieve stress, and wonder if he is breaking the rules?

Also breaking state laws?  Not every state has legalized medicinal marijuana.  

CBD oil is legal in every state though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I can only imagine using something like this during a round would definitely be against the rules. It would be a performance enhancing effect to reduce stress during a competition.

ummm no...it's not performance enhancing at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

ummm no...it's not performance enhancing at all.

 

I think it is performance enhancing, by virture of it relaxing a golfer, therefore pressure is easier to deal with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the more reason to stick with Medicinal Scotch or Medicinal Bourbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Piz said:

All the more reason to stick with Medicinal Scotch or Medicinal Bourbon.

John Daly comes to mind here 😂

 

14 hours ago, djake said:

Also breaking state laws?  Not every state has legalized medicinal marijuana.  

CBD oil is legal in every state though

It’s still against federal laws, and I would  think PGA would not allow its use just because of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, NM Golf said:

ummm no...it's not performance enhancing at all.

 

I was very clear in how I was meaning performance enhancement.

 

10 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I think it is performance enhancing, by virture of it relaxing a golfer, therefore pressure is easier to deal with. 

See, he gets it.

9 hours ago, Piz said:

All the more reason to stick with Medicinal Scotch or Medicinal Bourbon.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I didn't think that golfers were allowed to drink during rounds either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last I read, legal, medical mary jane had to be used only  in one's private residence. Not used, or be under it's influence in public, or when driving. 

There are so many different laws, state by state, it tough to know what is, and what isn't legal. 

I would think in OP's question, regardless of the USGA stance, the guy is breaking state laws, using his pot in public, and/or driving under the influence if he drives himself to the golf course.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I think it is performance enhancing, by virture of it relaxing a golfer, therefore pressure is easier to deal with. 

 

29 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I was very clear in how I was meaning performance enhancement.

But it's not. I do not know your background with marijuana, but even the most relaxing indica strain would cause slowed reaction time and fine motor skills would be diminished.  Neither of those things would be conducive to playing better golf. No one is that nervous where it would be a good trade off. I don't mean to argue with either of you, I am just saying in NO WAY can I see how marijuana use during a round of golf would be performance enhancing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, Patch said:

Last I read, legal, medical mary jane had to be used only  in one's private residence. Not used, or be under it's influence in public, or when driving. 

There are so many different laws, state by state, it tough to know what is, and what isn't legal. 

I would think in OP's question, regardless of the USGA stance, the guy is breaking state laws, using his pot in public, and/or driving under the influence if he drives himself to the golf course.. 

I think I'm in agreement with this comment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

 

But it's not. I do not know your background with marijuana, but even the most relaxing indica strain would cause slowed reaction time and fine motor skills would be diminished.  Neither of those things would be conducive to playing better golf. No one is that nervous where it would be a good trade off. I don't mean to argue with either of you, I am just saying in NO WAY can I see how marijuana use during a round of golf would be performance enhancing. 

I can only relate back to my several years experience of golfing with guys in my previous league who would suddenly play much better as soon as they started smoking. It was a given, within a hole or 2 of them lighting up their scores would drop. As usual, it's only anecdotal so I fully expect people to immediately disregard it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having played many, many rounds while under the influence of marijuana I can personally attest to it not being performance enhancing.  Against the rules?  Perhaps.  But not performance enhancing. Quite the opposite. Everyone reacts differently to being high, and while it may well reduce stress it also certainly reduces one's ability to focus.  Golf requires focus.  I'd get high and kick ass for about two holes, then be all over the place.

I haven't used marijuana since moving to Florida because it's not legal here, and I don't have a qualifying medicinal reason to get a prescription.  I could of course make one up, because it's not like getting a prescription is difficult, but it's not such an important thing to me that I feel the need to go out of my way.  I personally don't see a difference between drinking or smoking beyond the legal aspect - both are personal decisions, and when used responsibly should be an individual's choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • I mean, I’ll still watch and I agree it’s not on the players themselves...they’re just trying to take advantage of the current day and age with getting bigger and stronger. I would just like to see the PGA combat that more, whether it be tweaking equipment or growing out rough to insane levels at over 300 yards.   My concern is simply this: accuracy off the tee isn’t as big a deal anymore...hitting it 400 yards is. I’m just hoping that trend in the fame doesn’t continue.
    • Like him or hate him, I enjoyed seeing JS and JT having it out in the top 10. Really hope  to see him get it back together. Its like Wolfe and Morikawa. What a great competition that could make.    
    • A couple of local courses closed or will be closing.  The Golf Club at Mount Brighton, a public course laid out on and near a local ski area, closed this year.  The course was less than 20 years old.  It originally opened with much fanfare as "The Jackal". The new owner (same group that owns Vail ski area) decided to focus on skiing.  I played the course only twice over the years and was not excited about the layout.  I never like seeing a course close but this one won't be missed too much. Salem Hills, a fixture locally since 1963, announced it will close in October.  The family that owned the course did not want to invest the money to upgrade the infrastructure   There is no buyer currently.  I have played this course off and on for 40 years.  I suspect it will become a housing development.  I hope I am wrong. I have to smile about one occurrence years ago.  A foursome of Japanese players was ahead of us one day.  We all ended up waiting on the 11th tee (very tough hole and always backed up).  When they finally were able to tee off, the last member of the foursome scuffed his tee shot and it went about 50 yards, stopping on the forward tee.  One of the group's members turned to us, smiled and said, "Straight ... but not very far".  We all had a good laugh and we always re-used that phrase when we would duff a shot.
    • Never know Wolff's swing was so unusual.  That twitch he has to start it is also interesting.  It's def going to distract me as I watch today's final round. 😄
    • I get that. It's been a relatively dry year here, and I wore them yesterday. They're not waterproof, but they are water resistant. A little dew, a wet area that was just sprinkled… you'll be okay. Also, I added the review text above to the first post. @saevel25, you have a pair of these. What do you think?
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AmirReza
      AmirReza
      (33 years old)
    2. BushwoodCC
      BushwoodCC
      (54 years old)
    3. cozelos
      cozelos
      (35 years old)
    4. RollingStoppie
      RollingStoppie
      (51 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...