IGNORED

Gambling Game Idea

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

Stolen from elsewhere, and then modified heavily by me with the carry-overs. This can be a team or an individual game. Net scores, of course.

• Basic Gist: The losing player or team has to pay the score they shoot on the hole. So, on a par four, if A makes par and B makes double, B owes $6.
  • Carry-Overs:Β for ties: $1 for a par three, $2 for a par four, and $3 for a par 5.
  • Mulitpliers:Β 2x for a birdie by the winning team, 3x for an eagle by the winning team. Holes tied with birdie or eagle double/triple the carry-over amount, and multipliers optionally onlyΒ apply to that hole or can apply to the current total amount (so if $4 carried over, and a player makes birdie and the opponent makes a 6, that's either $6 x 2 + $4 = $16 OR ($6 + $4) x 2 = $20.
  • Optional Modifier:Β At any point before any balls are on the putting green a player can press, doubling the value of the hole, but they must WIN the hole or else the current pot goes to the other player (if they tie or lose).

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like a fun game. I would be up for giving it a try, although most of my golf buddies play pretty low stakes. It sounds like this could get pretty expensive on a bad day!

The optional multiplier seems like it could add a bit too much randomness for my liking, so I would probably ease into the game without that added wrinkle.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

At any point before any balls are on the putting green a player can press

We use this type of wager also in a "Hammer Game", only we allow the press to happen anytime and even on a green.
Opponents have the option to accept or they concede the original bet.

It's a similar game without the multipliers.

We use multipliers when we play a basic bet - per hole.
Carry overs are optional, usually declared on the first tee.

The knuckleheads I play with start at $5 on the first hole and usually end up at $25 on the final few holes.

I have seen guys press their losses and sometimes raise it to a Hundy for a hole.
Like I said, they are knuckelheads. But they never cry when they payout....Β :whistle:

I've padded my pocket book with a few extra on many occasionsΒ  … 

Frankie.jpg

Β 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Stolen from elsewhere, and then modified heavily by me with the carry-overs. This can be a team or an individual game. Net scores, of course.

• Basic Gist: The losing player or team has to pay the score they shoot on the hole. So, on a par four, if A makes par and B makes double, B owes $6.
  • Carry-Overs:Β for ties: $1 for a par three, $2 for a par four, and $3 for a par 5.
  • Mulitpliers:Β 2x for a birdie by the winning team, 3x for an eagle by the winning team. Holes tied with birdie or eagle double/triple the carry-over amount, and multipliers optionally onlyΒ apply to that hole or can apply to the current total amount (so if $4 carried over, and a player makes birdie and the opponent makes a 6, that's either $6 x 2 + $4 = $16 OR ($6 + $4) x 2 = $20.
  • Optional Modifier:Β At any point before any balls are on the putting green a player can press, doubling the value of the hole, but they must WIN the hole or else the current pot goes to the other player (if they tie or lose).

Thoughts?

Sounds like a very interesting concept.Β  The only catch is it has the potential to get very expensive very fast.

But it is something that forces a player to focus on every shot and every hole.Β  As a rule of thumb we play front 9 / back 9 / match, which means losing a hole doesn't matter much and losing by 1Β stroke or 8 strokes makes no difference whatsoever.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

My first thoughts are that off the cuff, it would be a bit complicated, andΒ  time consuming. One of the group should be a cpa...lol.

Β I don't think a lot of 3-4-5 somes would buy into it. That said, I probably would.

We play somethingΒ similar. Difference is it's a $1 for every stroke over par, for every player, figured up at the 19th hole. RaisesΒ are allowed before each green, with majority approval.Β 

We sometimes set a max amount for the 18 holes of $20-$25.Β 

A $1 for every stroke over par gets everyone's focused, attention.Β 

With our group, all the winnings go towardsΒ post round food, and beverages. Very seldom does anyone take any "winnings"Β home with them. Anything left over usually is left as part of the tip.Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Patch said:

My first thoughts are that off the cuff, it would be a bit complicated, andΒ  time consuming. One of the group should be a cpa...lol.

What? Dude that’s a simple game as far as golf wagering goes.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I think it would be cheaper for me to fly out to you, take AimPoint lessons, get fitted for a new putter and wedges and make a donation to your college team πŸ™‚Β then play at the mentioned financial amounts.

While this game does sound interesting I would have to adopt it to a points system instead of dollars and then incorporate our standard bet.Β  A beer per 9.

I will share this with the group though

• Like 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smokeΒ yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility IronΒ Srixon 3 20*
Irons:Β  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -Β Β Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy GrailΒ Ball: Snell MTBx

• Administrator
1 hour ago, djake said:

I think it would be cheaper for me to fly out to you, take AimPoint lessons, get fitted for a new putter and wedges and make a donation to your college team πŸ™‚Β then play at the mentioned financial amounts.

You're going toΒ win some of the holes, too…?

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a group years ago where we did something very similarΒ  to this. We handled the carry overs differently. We just added up all the strokes you made for all the holes which carried over. I remember there was a par 5 where I carded a snowman, but low and behold so did everyone else. That 8 dollar carry over looked pretty fat.Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

I like it because you could throw in some sort of handicap game.Β 

Yea, if you have a bad day you definitely are going to pay up...Β :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

15 hours ago, Patch said:

One of the group should be a cpa...lol.

I'd just build a mobile scoring App to tally the results β€¦Β πŸ˜Ž
Getting guys to keep their scores on their phone is the real challenge … 

13 hours ago, iacas said:

You're going toΒ win some of the holes, too…?

I would hope so.

I did send the game off to one of my golfing buddies.Β  We will be giving it a try

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smokeΒ yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility IronΒ Srixon 3 20*
Irons:Β  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -Β Β Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy GrailΒ Ball: Snell MTBx

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I'd just build a mobile scoring App to tally the results β€¦Β πŸ˜Ž

What?!?!

It's a simple freaking game, people. It's not complexΒ at all.

We play a game similar to this. However, I no longer get in the game with handicaps. I'm tired of paying the guy with the 13 hdc. who shoots 78 and wins all the $. From now on, when anyone wants to play with me and couple other guys, it's straight up. Nobody gets strokes.Β 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

Pretty straight forward. Β Sounds like fun. Β Easy to play as teams or even individually within a group with the loser(s) paying winner(s). Β That would cut way down on carryovers too...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

With a couple of blow-up holes I tend to have, this could get very expensive for me. 😫

But I do like the idea of paying the score.Β  I'll have to try this the next time I am playing with my brother-in-law.Β  He is a total gambler.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, iacas said:

What?!?!

I was just making a joke about the need for a CPA β€¦Β πŸ˜

But on a serious note, several of the guys like to keep the tally in their heads and are usually correct, but sometimes confused.
Even guys who write totals on a scorecard are sometimes incorrect when multiple players are involved...

Nothing wrong with using scoring Apps with a large group of players...

• Administrator

Those of you saying it would get expensive… Here's the result of a round I played against a 15 handicapper (I give him 15 when he plays white and I play blue)Β who shot 88 at Whispering Woods recently:

Name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Total
Erik 4 3 5 4 4 3 4 4 3 4 3 4 4 4 5 4 4 4 70
Net Opponent 4 3 4 4 4 3 6 4 4 3 3 4 3 4 5 4 5 3 73
Game 2c 1c -$13 2c 2c 1c +$17 2c +$10 -$8 1c 6c -$15 2c 3c 2c +$17 -$8 $0

Β 

Now, this game just happened to work out to no money exchanging hands, but flip a few numbers around and you can see that it still doesn't get that expensive,Β despite seven birdies being made between the two of us.

11 minutes ago, Yukari said:

But I do like the idea of paying the score.Β  I'll have to try this the next time I am playing with my brother-in-law.Β  He is a total gambler.

You don't have to make the "points" $1. You could play $0.50 points or something too.

Note:Β This thread is 1672 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!