IGNORED

What to Do When Injured?

Note: This thread is 1649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, so my ass is injured… LITTERALLY!

I won’t go into the details on how I hurt myself, but I’ll tell you No, I wasn’t drunk. Yes, I was doing something stupid. Now my tailbone hurts. Worse yet, it hurts A LOT when I try to swing a golf club with anything more than minimal speed. In theory this will take 3 to 5 more weeks to heal. Which irritates me for 3 reasons: 1 – The weather is great. 2 – The golf courses on are winter rates. 3 – The courses are far less crowded then during peak season.

The other reason I’m annoyed is the last two times I played before hurting myself I played AWFUL! Not only does playing awful suck, but I had been playing great right up to those last two rounds. I had great practice sessions, even the day before. But then for no reason at all, everything fell apart. A week ago, today I shot 48 on a 9-hole course, which I had shot 38 only 2 days before. The next day I played 18 and quit keeping score after nine holes I was like 15 over par already. My short game was fine, perhaps even a little better than normal. I simply could not hit any full swing shots. 

So, 2 questions:

1 – Anyone else ever just suddenly stink at golf? Especially when having played better and better and had great practice sessions, then suddenly play like crap?  

2 – What do you do when you are injured? I’ve been spending a few minutes a day rolling golf balls down a ruler with my putter. I’ve been working on static positions. I’ve also been reviewing video of myself from the past few years.

3 – Does anyone here practice or play “through the pain”? My injury is a “bone bruise” so it won’t get any more injured by swinging a golf club. I’m afraid I’ll compensate while swinging to find a “less painful” swing. Which I’m assuming won’t be good for my game.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Anyone else ever just suddenly stink at golf? Especially when having played better and better and had great practice sessions, then suddenly play like crap?  

Yup. Sometimes I'm lucky and it happens in the Fall and I just shut it down for the season.

17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

What do you do when you are injured?

Anything I can do that doesn't aggravate the injury further.

18 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Does anyone here practice or play “through the pain”?

No, but I generally can't play golf when I'm hurt because I usually hurt something in my neck or shoulders and I can't swing the club at all.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Go practice putting, chipping and pitching...……  Re-read everything on the forum...……  Re-Read LSW......

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I exercise how ever I can without creating more injuries, and/or further aggravating the initial injury. 

The problem with injuries, and continuing to play, is that other parts of the body reacts to, and tries to protect the initial  injury. Those body parts can become weakened while in protection mode, and become injured, after the initial injury has healed. This may be what happened to K-Durant. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1. Everyone has bad/off days, even Pros..which is hilarious and I love to watch them struggle.

2. Fortunately have not had to deal with a injury since playing golf again.

3. A few weeks ago after a pretty intense gym session I woke up with some pretty severe soreness/stiffness that run from the left side of my neck, through the shoulder and then into the middle of my back...I went and golfed anyway and it was bad news bears. Shot a 85 after shooting several rounds in the 70s prior. 10/10 was not worth.

:titleist:

:tmade:

Doctor? Physical therapy? Don't push it. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Yup. Sometimes I'm lucky and it happens in the Fall and I just shut it down for the season.

Anything I can do that doesn't aggravate the injury further.

No, but I generally can't play golf when I'm hurt because I usually hurt something in my neck or shoulders and I can't swing the club at all.

Yup!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Best is to rest until your body is ready again - you wouldn’t be able to use your normal swing anyway and you are delaying recovery if you try to tough it out.

I fractured my tail bone once while snowboarding in my 20s. I took a few weeks off and started boarding again and reinjured it. I survived that season but I am still experiencing pain once in a while. Don’t push it.

Everytime I thought I got a breakthrough in golf, I will play terribly for at least a week afterwards. I shot 12 pars and 2 birdies last weekend, but played bogey golf all week this week. No idea why but it happens every single time!

3 hours ago, ShawnSum said:

1. Everyone has bad/off days, even Pros..which is hilarious and I love to watch them struggle.

2. Fortunately have not had to deal with a injury since playing golf again.

3. A few weeks ago after a pretty intense gym session I woke up with some pretty severe soreness/stiffness that run from the left side of my neck, through the shoulder and then into the middle of my back...I went and golfed anyway and it was bad news bears. Shot a 85 after shooting several rounds in the 70s prior. 10/10 was not worth.

1. Agreed...dust it off and focus next time around.

2. How old are you? It makes a difference as far as recovery. Hold off until you know exactly what the source of the pain is and how to fix it.

3. Don't do anything foolish like "play through the pain". It could make it worse. Just remember, "It's easy to be hard, it's hard to be smart". Get medical advice and follow it. Recover the best you can and don't rush it. 

• Like 1

Dave 

Amazing Golf Ball Whacker Guy

titleist.png

• iacas changed the title to What to Do When Injured?
On 10/11/2019 at 7:52 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, so my ass is injured… LITTERALLY!

I won’t go into the details on how I hurt myself, but I’ll tell you No, I wasn’t drunk. Yes, I was doing something stupid. Now my tailbone hurts. Worse yet, it hurts A LOT when I try to swing a golf club with anything more than minimal speed. In theory this will take 3 to 5 more weeks to heal. Which irritates me for 3 reasons: 1 – The weather is great. 2 – The golf courses on are winter rates. 3 – The courses are far less crowded then during peak season.

The other reason I’m annoyed is the last two times I played before hurting myself I played AWFUL! Not only does playing awful suck, but I had been playing great right up to those last two rounds. I had great practice sessions, even the day before. But then for no reason at all, everything fell apart. A week ago, today I shot 48 on a 9-hole course, which I had shot 38 only 2 days before. The next day I played 18 and quit keeping score after nine holes I was like 15 over par already. My short game was fine, perhaps even a little better than normal. I simply could not hit any full swing shots. 

So, 2 questions:

1 – Anyone else ever just suddenly stink at golf? Especially when having played better and better and had great practice sessions, then suddenly play like crap?  

2 – What do you do when you are injured? I’ve been spending a few minutes a day rolling golf balls down a ruler with my putter. I’ve been working on static positions. I’ve also been reviewing video of myself from the past few years.

3 – Does anyone here practice or play “through the pain”? My injury is a “bone bruise” so it won’t get any more injured by swinging a golf club. I’m afraid I’ll compensate while swinging to find a “less painful” swing. Which I’m assuming won’t be good for my game.

1. yes, i've had great rounds after horrible practice, and horrible rounds after great practice.   during my last round, I had one of my worst round of the year with an 85 or 86, but my actual tee to green was probably at worst would put me in the high 70s, but for reasons not totally understood to me, i shanked all of my chips lol.  never done this in my life, but every chip I shanked and cost me 5-6 shots right there, with the ensuing long recovery putt costing me another 3 or 4 strokes.  so yeah, golf is a constant battle of trust and troubleshooting

2.  when im too injured to golf, i still end up golfing and delaying the healing process.  I've dealt with a bit of a trick back for the last year, which doesnt seem to bother me too much while I play, but I sometimes really feel it after.  Also have something wrong in my shoulder for the 2nd half of this season which usually pisses me off for my first few swings but loosens up and doesnt bother me, but it still concerns me.  I have a hard time just shutting everything down when I'm hurt because I love it too much. 

3.  I'll practice and play through pain depending on what the injury is, if swinging makes it worse, or if I'm compensating.  

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

Note: This thread is 1649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!