IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

On 10/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, WillieT said:

For me it would be the latter - the intended line. I would much rather know that I am seeing the line (reading the green properly).  

Is it too late to change my "Rather"?  Seriously after thinking about it more, reading the comments here and listening to the commentators at the televised golf this weekend, I can see where speed rules.  Watching the guys putt to where they were within tap in over and over on misses demonstrated what was said here.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, WillieT said:

Is it too late to change my "Rather"?  Seriously after thinking about it more, reading the comments here and listening to the commentators at the televised golf this weekend, I can see where speed rules.  Watching the guys putt to where they were within tap in over and over on misses demonstrated what was said here.  

Never too late to change your mind. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 10/5/2023 at 5:04 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

Hit every putt with exactly the speed you intended to hit it with for the rest of your golfing life?

OR

Hit every putt on the exact the line you intended to hit it on for the rest of your golfing life? 

Saw this a while back and mulled it over a little.  I'll go with the speed. 

Seems to me that if I'm in my right mind, taking time with my read and lining up carefully, I'm usually putting the ball at least close to the right line. But getting the speed right seems like a lot more guess work. 

Just thinking about the disaster misses. Most of them are speed related. That slippery-looking putt that finds it's way down the slope and right off the green? Can't be much worse than digging the chipper out of the bag after one of those. 

On 10/5/2023 at 5:04 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

Hit every putt with exactly the speed you intended to hit it with for the rest of your golfing life?

OR

Hit every putt on the exact the line you intended to hit it on for the rest of your golfing life? 

Speed.

Brian Kuehn

I would choose to hit every shot exactly on the line that I intended to hit for the rest of my golfing life.

The speed of your golf swing is important, but the line of your swing is even more important. So, my experience is very small, I hope you can correct me if something is wrong)

1 hour ago, tiptop said:

I would choose to hit every shot exactly on the line that I intended to hit for the rest of my golfing life.

The speed of your golf swing is important, but the line of your swing is even more important. So, my experience is very small, I hope you can correct me if something is wrong)

This scenario is talking about putting specifically.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Would You Rather #63:

Scenario: You are married or have a significant other and your significant other plays golf.  You can do 1 and ONLY 1 "Recreational Golf Trip" next season.  This would include any time you go out of town to golf 1 or more round and an over night stay is involved.  I'm trying to key on "Recreational" so if you do golf for a living it would not include "Business Golf".  A "Recreational Golf Trip" would include TST Outings if you had to spend the night.  Would you Rather:

A) Go on a golf trip with your spouse/significant other, NOT including your golf buddies

OR

B) Go on a golf trip with your golf buddies, NOT including your spouse/significant other.

Fortunately I've never been pushed into this choice, which I am grateful for.  I enjoy golfing with my wife and with my buddies and they are entirely different experiences.  I will choose "A) Go on a trip with my spouse" since it has become an annual way to celebrate our anniversary.  Hopefully I'm never faced with this choice in real life because I do not like either, I want multiple golf trips!

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

8 hours ago, StuM said:

Would You Rather #63:

Scenario: You are married or have a significant other and your significant other plays golf.  You can do 1 and ONLY 1 "Recreational Golf Trip" next season.  This would include any time you go out of town to golf 1 or more round and an over night stay is involved.  I'm trying to key on "Recreational" so if you do golf for a living it would not include "Business Golf".  A "Recreational Golf Trip" would include TST Outings if you had to spend the night.  Would you Rather:

A) Go on a golf trip with your spouse/significant other, NOT including your golf buddies

OR

B) Go on a golf trip with your golf buddies, NOT including your spouse/significant other.

Given the rules of the topic, I’d pick A.

Ideally, if I were in this position, I’d like to go out on golf trips with my significant other and our friends.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 10/12/2023 at 9:43 PM, StuM said:

Would You Rather #63:

OR

Fortunately I've never been pushed into this choice, which I am grateful for.  I enjoy golfing with my wife and with my buddies and they are entirely different experiences.  I will choose "A) Go on a trip with my spouse" since it has become an annual way to celebrate our anniversary.  Hopefully I'm never faced with this choice in real life because I do not like either, I want multiple golf trips here!

This year with my significant, next year with friends)

Just now, tiptop said:

I guess you did "Follow the rules" but nice job riding that fence. 😜

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 10/12/2023 at 2:43 PM, StuM said:

Would You Rather #63:

OR

This one is pretty easy - option A as my wife and I try to do things like this together, tying golf into our trips.   Most of the guys I play with, are local course only fellows.  None have a real desire to do a golf trip….

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 10/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, tiptop said:

This or maybe 3 to 1 ratio in favor of the wife but always keeping some time to spend with friends. 
Could be a 3rd option to arrange a couples golf trip? Your wife, your friends, their wifes and you.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:51 AM, tiptop said:

I love numbers, let's explain it in them.
I average 280 off the tee +-20 yards. My dispersion at that distance is 80 yards wide. Pretty normal dispersion for a driver where you miss more sideways than in distance. My dispersion in 2 dimensions is an area of 40*80 = 320y2(yardsSquare). 
If I have perfect speed then that area turns into a line of 80 yards wide. (80y2 area) 
If I have perfect line that area turns into a line but now 40 yards width. (40y2 area)
Less area means better dispersion = better scores.

Is easy to see that you have more room for improvement with your line than your speed.

Putting is pretty much the same but left to right misses are a lot less smaller than short to long misses. So you have a lot more room for improvement with speed than with line, that's why having perfect speed is better than perfect line in putting.

Same apply to putting VS driving. You have a lot more room for improvement with driver than putter, that's why Driver is more important than putting, despite what you heard on TV.      

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

Same apply to putting VS driving. You have a lot more room for improvement with driver than putter, that's why Driver is more important than putting, despite what you heard on TV.        

FWIW, it's not just about having more room for improvement with driver as to why driver is more important, but that with driver the penalty for missing your line is almost always going to be far more severe (penalty strokes, having to punch out sideways from trees, etc) than any miss you would ever have with a putter. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV