IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

Just wondering... I see people with three or four, or even one. All I need are my two- 52 and 58.

Three. Pitching wedge that came with my irons (45), a 58* Vokey bent to 56, and a 60. The pitching wedge has no spin on pitch and chip shots, and I need a 51-something to fill the gap (I could hit my old 56 100 yards but I struggle to reach 90 with the Vokey - in fact, the Vokey's more trouble than it's worth, aside the usual problem of turning the cover of my balls into fuzzy chicken wire.)

At some point when I get the money, I'll ditch the 5 wood and have 4 wedges, instead.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Just wondering... I see people with three or four, or even one. All I need are my two- 52 and 58.

2 or 3, depending how you count. I count my 52* and 58* as wedges, but my pitching wedge - despite 'wedge' in the name - is really my 10 iron.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

PW, SW, LW

only 3 for me

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

• Administrator
Just three here. I play courses that are long enough that I like to have a 3W (usually off the tee), a hybrid (long par threes, fairways, some tees), and a 3-iron (fairways, par threes).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hate my 60°. I'm considering swapping it out again and coming back to my 3i.

I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship. The 60° is such an a**hole to me, once in a while (1/10 strokes!) I hit that GEM of a shot that keeps me coming back for more. I always come back for more.

I think the 3i, while I find it difficult to hit, at least I can always rely on it for low punches when my tee shot finds the other side of the tree-line, and I have to get outta jail and back into the fairway. So even if I don't use it for long shots, it still serves a purpose. The 60° is just plain ABUSIVE.

Sorry to jack. I have 52° (LOVE IT) a 56° (LOVE IT) and a 60° (HATE IT...no wait, LOVE IT...no, I HATE IT...)

I also have the PW that's part of my ISI set, 47°. I love that club too.
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

just a 54 and 60

Driver W506 10.5* Pro Launch Red
3 Wood G5 14.5* Rifle Project X 6.0 wood
Hybrid Rapture 18* VS Proto
3-PW i506 Forged Project X 6.0
54* WG 504 Forged 60* WG 504 ForgedPutter Futura Phanton 33"Ball ZUR-S

The PW that is part of the set: 48 degrees and as others have said, more of a 10 iron.

The only other wedge I carry regularly is an old Wilson Staff JP custom grind pitching wedge. It has enough bounce to use from most sand and not too much for the fairway. I have no idea about the loft.

I bought the original new over 20 years ago and stupidly forgot it on a green somewhere. I found the current replacement in a used bin somewhere for $15.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

PW, 52*,56*,60*high bounce, 60* low bounce

I am a wedge addict, soon to replace the 52* with a 54*

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

4. PW, 50, 55, 60. ok, 5. The foot wedge too !!

Just thought about that last one for a minute - honestly, who hasn't used the foot wedge at

some point in their life?
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

3: PW (nike nds), 55* sand wedge (adams assault), 60* lob wedge (acuity trutech).

all together they cost me $19.99 lol

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

i have 3 in my bag.i really only use one my 52* vokey 90% of the time the 60* for sand and my PW is like they say kind of a 10 iron.
In my bag:
driver: R5 dual
3wood: war bird
11wood: war bird
irons: oversize with an old Wilson PWwedges: 52*and 60*Vokeys putter: Tracyball: MoJo

I actually carry 5 wedges in my bag but really don't need the extra one... I found a really nice callaway 48 degree wedge in a park... it matches my oil can vokeys so I just left it in the bag because I had room for one more club

although it is very close, I think by 1 degree, to my PW they have a different set up at address and depending on my lie the callaway comes in handy. I think its mental...

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

So... you don't have anything between your 9 iron and your 52° wedge? That is one huge gap. A typical 9I is about 41° and a typical PW is 45°-48°, which is why most people carry one.

I don't understand why some people think that a pitching wedge needs some sort of special play or consideration either. A pitching wedge is not a special club, it's just a shorter short iron. The same is true now of the gap wedge. You don't get to the special purpose clubs until you reach the sand wedge. The sand wedge and lob wedge are designed for particular uses and need a different approach to deal with the sole bounce and more extreme face loft. The PW and GW are just short golf clubs. BTW, I carry 3 - 45° PW, 50° GW, and 56° SW.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I carry 3 PW, 53, and 60.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

i carry 4... the PW (Ping g5), 50* (Vokey), 56* (Oil Can Vokey), and a 60* (Ping Tour) i actually jus dropped my 16* hybrid to make room for the 56* Oil Can... having four wedges just opens up so many different types of shots from every angel on the course

In My Bag
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9*

3-Wood: Ping Anser 14.5*
Hybrid: TaylorMade Superfast Burner 18*
Irons: Ping i20 PW - 4

Wedges: Ping Tour Pro Rusty 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Ping Anser

Balls: Titleist Pro-V1s

Sunglasses: Oakley Flak Jacket (golf specific)

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Course: Alliance Country Club