IGNORED

PGA Tour Charity Giving

iacas
Note: This thread is 1615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/golf/article236856853.html

Much of the $14 million was generated through the tournament’s “Birdies For Charity” campaign. Charitable organizations solicit pledges from individuals and corporations for every birdie made during the tournament.

Pros made 1,111 birdies during tournament rounds, generating more than $13 million.

We've become a bit numb to numbers like this on the PGA Tour, but to put it into perspective, this small PGA Tour stop the week after the PGA Championship generated $14M in one week.

The NFL, in ONE YEAR, generates… drumroll please… $4M LESS than that weak PGA Tour stop. $10M. Those numbers older, but even if the NFL has DOUBLED their charitable output in less than a decade, still falls well short of what the PGA Tour can and does do. Weekly. Remember, that NFL number is for a year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These are enormous, global, money-making engines for whom 100 million USD is not an especially grand sum.  The donations are window dressing.  The amount they donate is what best suits their bottom line.  If the NFL felt it needed to donate more to appear more magnanimous, it would.

My father always said that golf is a rich man's game.  I'm sure that label is pretty common, not least because it is accurate.  Perhaps much larger donations, and the constant drumbeat of telling us all that is necessary to fluff the reputation of the PGA, whereas the NFL has no such need.

• Administrator

I thought it might be six or seven replies before we got the super cynical take, but it took just one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"Super"? Please! I am not even started on cynical.

The PGA does not even give that money itself.  For whatever reason, charitable organizations want to be associated with the PGA.  Given all the news about repeated concussions and TBIs for football players, I can not blame them.  Let's have a few more DUIs for top golfers or some wife-beating incidents and see how that does for the donations.  There's always tennis.

Edited by Cantankerish
clarity

• Administrator
Just now, Cantankerish said:

The PGA does not even give that money itself.  For whatever reason, charitable organizations want to be associated with the PGA.  Given all the news about repeated concussions and TBIs, I can not blame them.  Let's have a few more DUIs for top golfers or some wife-beating incidents and see how that does for the donations.  There's always tennis.

Of course the PGA doesn't. We're talking about PGA Tour events.

But hey, let's take a feel-good aspect of golf and immediately poo all over it. Thanks @Cantankerish. 😛

Well, you could make the argument that it all ties back into the idea that golf is a gentleman's sport.  The players keep their noses and reputations clean.  The charities want to be associated with a front end like that, etc.

I'm not really sure what sort of responses you were hoping to elicit from this topic.

Thanks for bringing the charitable aspect of pro golf into focus. I believe that most of the money donated stays within the community, also. It is a tremendous thing, especially for the folks that benefit from their generosity. It is touching to see the kids and families that benefit from the free care at St. Jude's. I don't know how anyone can express cynicism about the charitable donations that anyone makes. I know that the folks that receive the benefits are thankful.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Well, you could make the argument that it all ties back into the idea that golf is a gentleman's sport.  The players keep their noses and reputations clean.  The charities want to be associated with a front end like that, etc.

That doesn't even make sense. A charity is not going to say "no, sorry NFL, you have too many thugs playing your sport. We don't want your check for $2M."

9 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

I'm not really sure what sort of responses you were hoping to elicit from this topic.

Something like @Sandy Divot's response is a good place to start.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

That doesn't even make sense. A charity is not going to say "no, sorry NFL, you have too many thugs playing your sport. We don't want your check for $2M."

Are you seriously taking the position that charitable organizations do not pay attention to whom they are associated with?  Really? Not at all?

Have a look. I said you could make such an argument.  I did not and do not claim to know if it is true.  And I clearly said it to help the topic go to where I guessed you wanted it to go. Are you really going to start a quarrel over this?

It's not just the Tour giving to charities but many of the pro golfers (and manufacturers) are also donating hefty amounts of support, time, and money. I'm glad they, and the PGA, do. Even the little things like Rory and other players stopping by the gallery on the way to the scoring tent to sign balls and caps for kids is a great thing, in my opinion.

• Administrator

Are you seriously taking the position that charitable organizations do not pay attention to whom they are associated with?

I didn't say that.

Are you really going to start a quarrel over this?

Are you? Gee whiz man. Chillax.

The takeaway here is simple: the PGA Tour does a helluva lot to give back to national and local charities. A LOT. Both through the PGA Tour as a whole as well as through the individual local tournaments, from the PGA Tour Champions to the Korn Ferry Tour and everything else, and we can feel good about that and take a minute to celebrate that as an honest feel-good thing.

10 minutes ago, Zippo said:

It's not just the Tour giving to charities but many of the pro golfers (and manufacturers) are also donating hefty amounts of support, time, and money. I'm glad they, and the PGA, do. Even the little things like Rory and other players stopping by the gallery on the way to the scoring tent to sign balls and caps for kids is a great thing, in my opinion.

That information isn't as easy to find, and plenty of NFL players, NBA players, MLB players, etc. are involved with charity, too. So I didn't bring that stuff up because it's not one where PGA Tour (players) have such a seemingly HUGE lead on (players from) other leagues and such.

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

The players keep their noses and reputations clean.  The charities want to be associated with a front end like that, etc.

Lol.... yeah no. Like Erik said, they’ll take the contribution from the NFL without a blink of hesitation. And that’s the whole point ...they do appreciate being associated with a front end like the PGA yet despite that they still get large contributions from the golf tournaments as well. Says a lot for golf. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

This from the local Champions Tour event (2nd year).

As an official event of the PGA TOUR Champions, The Ally Challenge presented by McLaren is in good company when it comes to charity. The PGA TOUR, its players and tournaments support more than 3,000 charities. These local and national organizations affect the lives of millions in the communities where we live and play. In 2017 more than $180 million was generated to charitable causes as a part of these initiatives, bringing the all-time total generated for charity by the PGA TOUR to $2.65 billion since 1938.

The Ally Challenge presented by McLaren is proud to continue the PGA TOUR’s philanthropic focus by designating net proceeds from the tournament to benefit qualified 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations in the greater Flint area that provide individuals and the community with increased access to vital services, education, and resources. The inagural tournament raised $801,060.41 for charitable organizations in southeastern Michigan. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2019 at 10:29 AM, Cantankerish said:

These are enormous, global, money-making engines for whom 100 million USD is not an especially grand sum.  The donations are window dressing.  The amount they donate is what best suits their bottom line.  If the NFL felt it needed to donate more to appear more magnanimous, it would.

My father always said that golf is a rich man's game.  I'm sure that label is pretty common, not least because it is accurate.  Perhaps much larger donations, and the constant drumbeat of telling us all that is necessary to fluff the reputation of the PGA, whereas the NFL has no such need.

I have no idea where your head is at! We're just through November which concluded the NFL's "Salute to Service" program. You do realize that the Defense Department PAYS for that, don't you? The NFL is all about making money, not donating it. Not that that's entirely a bad thing. You have to make it before you can donate it. But you know what money the NFL donates to charities? The money they fine players and teams for infractions! 

And as far as golf being a rich man's game. I, nor any of my relatives or friends are anywhere near rich, yet we play golf! It seems to me that you are suffering from a severe case of class envy! And if golf is a rich man's game, how did you get into it?

On 11/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, Vinsk said:

Lol.... yeah no. Like Erik said, they’ll take the contribution from the NFL without a blink of hesitation. And that’s the whole point ...they do appreciate being associated with a front end like the PGA yet despite that they still get large contributions from the golf tournaments as well. Says a lot for golf. 

Exactly! And let's not forget that charity was written into the PGA Tour's charter in 1938 just 9 years after its founding. What other business does this? The "net proceeds", meaning the "profit", from anything we do we give away! I know there are others that do this. But I'm not aware of any that organize sporting events! Especially on the scale of the PGA Tour. 

I've been to a few events from the 1973 US Open to recent events. The difference is dramatic! Tour events put up a city out there now! The cost of hosting an event is enormous! That's why sponsors are so precious and are celebrated when they re-up!

15 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I have no idea where your head is at! We're just through November which concluded the NFL's "Salute to Service" program. You do realize that the Defense Department PAYS for that, don't you? The NFL is all about making money, not donating it. Not that that's entirely a bad thing. You have to make it before you can donate it. But you know what money the NFL donates to charities? The money they fine players and teams for infractions! 

And as far as golf being a rich man's game. I, nor any of my relatives or friends are anywhere near rich, yet we play golf! It seems to me that you are suffering from a severe case of class envy! And if golf is a rich man's game, how did you get into it?

Well, I guess you about dressed me down and summed me up there.

These donors hold meetings to discuss how to manage their public image, just as my company does.  And all companies do.  "Giving back" is a wonderful label.  We use it too in the form of scholarships. The donations in fact do say a lot for the the donors.  It says that it is remarkable how effective donations are at boosting your standing as a company.  It also says something for the PGA. The PGA is excellent at letting everyone know how swell your company is if you donate.  They are so good at maintaining your image that wealthy private donors use the PGA too.  The bulk of the private donors are going to donate this money...somewhere.  The PGA is just the conduit.

It.Is.All.A.Business.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

These donors hold meetings to discuss how to manage their public image, just as my company does.  And all companies do.  "Giving back" is a wonderful label.  We use it too in the form of scholarships. The donations in fact do say a lot for the the donors.  It says that it is remarkable how effective donations are at boosting your standing as a company.  It also says something for the PGA. The PGA is excellent at letting everyone know how swell your company is if you donate.  They are so good at maintaining your image that wealthy private donors use the PGA too.  The bulk of the private donors are going to donate this money...somewhere.  The PGA is just the conduit.

It.Is.All.A.Business.

Oy.

Personally I despise virtue signalling in all of its guises, and disguises.  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 1615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!