IGNORED

Why are There Two Titleist Pro V1 Models?

Note: This thread is 1607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

They generate almost exactly the same numbers. Why are there two different versions of this ball?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas I've watched that video before.  I guess one has a black number and the other has a red number.  😀

However, apparently, this was supposed to be the reason:

image.thumb.png.332b91871bb8f0aa285599e5ef57c04f.png

I play the X in yellow on the course and use the v/x practice balls at home on the sim.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

However, apparently, this was supposed to be the reason:

image.thumb.png.332b91871bb8f0aa285599e5ef57c04f.png

Yeah, supposed to be, except they're basically the same throughout that whole chart. They're almost identical in performance.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

59 minutes ago, iacas said:

They generate almost exactly the same numbers. Why are there two different versions of this ball?

So that people who play off handicaps of 15 or more can say how they find the V1X a little more responsive around the green and prefer the lower spinning characteristics of the V, especially with their driver. It also gives people who have "tested" them for 6 holes after finding one the opportunity to say that they find them to be similar but have a preference for one over the other to demonstrate their own superior feel and sensitivity.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

For the same reason there is chicken or beef and ranch or bleu cheese.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I believe I've made several posts regarding the entertainment factor regarding ball preferences and 'noticeable' differences. This is just another example of the reality. No doubt someone here will or has stated how they prefer one over the other based on some imagined idea. But hey, no harm, it's just fun.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Can't go wrong with either one.  MGS ranked both in the "excellent" category, along with the Bridgestone Tour B X and the Srixon ZStar.

I'm completely out on anything MGS does these days. They apparently wouldn't know how to conduct a good test if it smacked them in the ass and called them Charlie.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Welcome to the world of marketing...

But it's not really about marketing. If both balls are essentially the same, they're just wasting money producing and promoting two different products.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

But it's not really about marketing. If both balls are essentially the same, they're just wasting money producing and promoting two different products.

I think it is marketing Bill. It’s entertaining for those who want to believe there’s a difference. Those who think it’s the ball making a difference in their 15+ hcp will try both. People like options. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Welcome to the world of marketing...

This^^^^^

Candidate for post of the year.

I think most golfer chose a ball based on 3 factors:

Feel

Price

Distance

Likely feel as the most important factor.

I need a higher ball flight...but I prefer the softer feel of the ProV1...the ProV1x feels too clicky.....and the ProV1 more with the putter which is typically 40% of all strokes during a rd of golf.

49 minutes ago, billchao said:

Not if they get enough incremental sales to offset the costs associated with doing so...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

30 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think it is marketing Bill. It’s entertaining for those who want to believe there’s a difference. Those who think it’s the ball making a difference in their 15+ hcp will try both. People like options. 

I look at it like this: you're in the market for a premium golf ball. You decide what brand you want and eventually settle on Titleist, "The #1 ball in golf." At that point you decide if the higher or lower spinning ball suits you better.

I don't know if offering multiple offerings in the premium niche enlarges their market. My gut says they cannibalize each other because the way they're marketed, they compete against each other. You're either a Pro V1 or a Pro V1x, and if they're essentially the same, they're spending money on two different balls when they only need the one.

Hell, that could even be a marketing point. Pro V1, the #1 ball for premium performance.

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Not if they get enough incremental sales to offset the costs associated with doing so...

Yea, I don't know enough about their sales, obviously. They used to be different. Then they swapped them at one point I think? Now apparently they tweaked both so much they kind of ended up being basically the same. Weird.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I wonder if they are banking on family member's asking a wife what ball their husband plays (or vice versa) that they say Pro V1. Then that non golfing family member goes and buys a dozen of each because they don't know which. Lol, highly unlikely but funny. I think that they are just carrying on with what they have had for the last 16 years. They had the Pro V1 since 2000, then came out with the 60 dimple fewer X version in 2003. I think that they have a vested interest in keeping both lines alive, even if it is just for return customers that want the same name on their golf ball. Imagine if you had been playing Xs for the last 16 years, and then they just stopped making them, but you never really had a liking for the regular Pro V1. You might be inclined to go ball hunting with other brands as opposed to continuing to buy Titleist. I think this is the most logical reason for them to continue on with 2 premium offerings if they are that close/identical. Is the newest X still a 4 piece as opposed to the standard's 3 piece? If so, then they can't be identical.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I think it’s a good question and I’d like to hear a Titleist rep’s answer. 

Just now, Vinsk said:

I think it’s a good question and I’d like to hear a Titleist rep’s answer. 

They will tell you there’s a difference that many golfers can appreciate.

Many golfers believe there’s a difference whether there really is or not.

The perceived difference would lose sales to competitors who offered other premium options if Titleist  didn’t purport to do so themselves...

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just look at the number of shafts out there. I'm sure many have the exact same performance. However, people spend more money when they think they found something that "exactly" fits their game. (many people call this marketing)

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 1607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!