IGNORED

Weird Moments on the Course

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If anything weird happens on the golf course, weird shots, or just anything weird, put it here. I’ve got two of em:

1) Last December, my dad and I went out for 9 holes, and we were walking to our balls on 5, and we saw a ball lodged in a tree. We took pictures, but unfortunately I don’t have them.

2) I was playing a quick 9 after school about a month and a half ago. I hit into the rough on 8, about 145 yards out. I pulled a 7I, normally my 150-yard club, and nuked it well over the green. This was strange because I hit the 7I about 170 yards, out of rough. E024ADDD-6D7C-4DA6-B3F1-B5618F4F5524.jpeg.a5fa3b2a8d450b326778621dc6910330.jpeg

Sorry if it’s blurry, but the green is just over the hill. So I hit it at least 20-25 yards over the green. The one plus about this shot is that it’s the most flush 7I I’ve ever hit. Felt great coming off the club.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any time a high hcp player actually hits it in the middle of the club face, it’s gonna completely screw him up.  Let’s face it.  It just doesn’t happen very often!  :-D

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Me and @topoftheline89 drives the other day. Actually had to mark my ball so he could hit. Maybe 8 inches between them

20191129_113257.jpg

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

18 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Me and @topoftheline89 drives the other day. Actually had to mark my ball so he could hit. Maybe 8 inches between them

20191129_113257.jpg

What’re the chances of two golf balls those colors on the same course?!   😱

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

What’re the chances of two golf balls those colors on the same course?!   😱

He plays shagged balls and it just happened to be a pink supersoft Callaway he had out on that hole. I like the colored balls quite a bit, even though some of them look like they belong on a putt-putt course, particularly the red and blue ones. Our driver distance is always quite close, but we haven't had this occur until the other day.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Last fall while we were playing there was an Asian man with his family out between holes 2 and 3 not playing golf.  There are a couple apple trees there.   We were lucky enough to be watching them and see the father fall out of the tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Several weeks ago I was paying for my round when two guys entered the pro shop, laughing and arguing at the same time.  The crux of the issue is that one of them had a shot that came to rest on the floor of the cart, while the other was driving it!

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

Several weeks ago I was paying for my round when two guys entered the pro shop, laughing and arguing at the same time.  The crux of the issue is that one of them had a shot that came to rest on the floor of the cart, while the other was driving it!

Offer him 10 bucks to drive all the way to the green, make a hard right to launch the ball out of the cart onto the green.  Tell golf buddies next week that you "drove" the 522 yard 12th green.  "Man, that ball was driven!"

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

I was watching my son play in a high school tournament and one of his teammates hit a drive that landed in the cart we were driving, although we were stationary at the time.  It came to rest on a fender for lack of a better description.

War Eagle!

This was on my own backyard golf course, with foam practice balls. Club choice: 6I. The 4th hole on my course is a drivable 60-yard par-4, but only with superb contact and a slight fade. I hit it well, and it faded a bit, so even though I couldn’t see the green, I knew it was good. After walking up and looking for a minute, I found my ball in the cup. An ace/albatross/double eagle. Crazy game.

WITB:

• 8 months later...

Here’s another weird moment from our round this past Saturday. The eighth hole was a long par 4 from the blue tees. My dad and I both hit solid drives, which left us with second shots just inside the 200 yard marker. The pin was near the back, probably 175 to the front.

My dad, a few yards behind me, went first. He hit his 7W (a 22 degree wood), and caught it flush. We saw it land on the green, but couldn’t see where it stopped, so we assumed it was still on.

Then I went. I had a 4H in my hand, and switched to the 5W, but I didn’t think that was the right club either, so I went back to the 4H, figuring my gut choice was correct. It was. It landed just short of the green, but rolled to the back-center of the green, only about ten feet from the cup.

We got to the green, and we only saw one ball there, which was surprising because we thought that both of us had hit the green. So we looked around the green for several minutes, even in the creek 20 yards over the green. No ball to be found anywhere, and apart from the creek, where the water was thin enough to the point where we would see a golf ball if it was in there, there’s nowhere a ball could really be lost on that hole. It was definitely a weird scenario. My dad decided to quit that hole, and moved on to the ninth.

WITB:

In one of my many less than dignified moments, I three-putted, tossed the ball off the green and then took a whack at it in the rough with my putter. The ball sailed right at the back of the cart and hit the open pocket of my bag where I keep my balls and dropped right in.

My buddy died laughing right on the spot.

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

In one of my many less than dignified moments, I three-putted, tossed the ball off the green and then took a whack at it in the rough with my putter. The ball sailed right at the back of the cart and hit the open pocket of my bag where I keep my balls and dropped right in.

My buddy died laughing right on the spot.

You are going to seriously hurt someone one of these days.

- Shane

13 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

You are going to seriously hurt someone one of these days.

In the specific instance I mentioned (which was several years ago), there was zero chance of it, because nobody was remotely close to the area.

On the other hand, it goes without saying that I'll eventually hurt someone playing golf, because I'm not good enough to actually hit the ball straight.

4 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

Here’s another weird moment from our round this past Saturday. The eighth hole was a long par 4 from the blue tees. My dad and I both hit solid drives, which left us with second shots just inside the 200 yard marker. The pin was near the back, probably 175 to the front.

My dad, a few yards behind me, went first. He hit his 7W (a 22 degree wood), and caught it flush. We saw it land on the green, but couldn’t see where it stopped, so we assumed it was still on.

Then I went. I had a 4H in my hand, and switched to the 5W, but I didn’t think that was the right club either, so I went back to the 4H, figuring my gut choice was correct. It was. It landed just short of the green, but rolled to the back-center of the green, only about ten feet from the cup.

We got to the green, and we only saw one ball there, which was surprising because we thought that both of us had hit the green. So we looked around the green for several minutes, even in the creek 20 yards over the green. No ball to be found anywhere, and apart from the creek, where the water was thin enough to the point where we would see a golf ball if it was in there, there’s nowhere a ball could really be lost on that hole. It was definitely a weird scenario. My dad decided to quit that hole, and moved on to the ninth.

I thought you were going to say your dad's ball was in the hole!  I did that once on a long par-3, looked all around the back and side of the green for my ball and did not find it. My partner went up to remove the flag and asked, "Is this your ball?" 

This happened yesterday.

Hit my tee shot up the right side of the fairway, which was where I was aimed because this hole slopes severely from right to left, so even balls that miss in the right rough usually kick out and roll down to where the fairway is flatter on the left side. So I walk to where I assume my ball ended up and nothing is there. So I trace an approximate path back from where my ball should be to where I saw the ball land and I see an old, beat up zip-lock style sandwich bag sitting in the fairway not moving, which was odd because there was a slight breeze. And there's my ball, sitting partially in the bag - enough to keep the bag from blowing away, and to keep the ball from continuing to roll down the hill.

Not sure what the rule is and didn't feel like getting out my phone to look it up, so I just removed the bag and placed by ball in the same spot. Bad break because it was a terrible hanging lie; if the bag hadn't stopped my ball, it probably would have rolled down to the semi-flat section. Badly chunked my next shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!