IGNORED

2020 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to change my home course - I joined a new club at the end of May and stopped playing the old course in July. 

I play from the forward tees at both clubs (thank goodness no peer pressure to tee back!), both 27-holes. Old course yardage ranges from 5130 (68.4/127) to 5404 (69.5/129). New course 5755 (72.6/139) to 5937 (73.3/140). I have played 31 rounds at my new course so far and have parred every hole at least once, and birdied 17 out of 27. No HIO at the new course yet but it is near impossible when the cups are raised. I am happy to have completed my par-challenge for my new course and I should be able to birdie a few more holes by the end of the season🤞🏼

Edited by FlyingAce

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, TourSpoon said:

I just started this challenge and I don't have a home course so its all away so the after 6 rounds on 5 courses I have scratched off 1, 3, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18. I probably should start playing the back first! 

1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18

10 of 18 birdies with a few dups. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Well, I finished the "Composite" today.  Unlikely to make any eagles but one never knows.

I had #10 and #13 left.  Today we played Pierce Lake and I would not have guessed I would birdie #10.  For longer hitting players, the 543 yard par 5 is likely a birdie hole.  For me I just try to get inside of the 150 marker and then carry the wetlands with my third shot.  Today I rolled in the 15 footer.  #13 is just a 351 par 4 which I made three good shots.  I was not sure whether I needed #13 or #14 but it turns out I made birdie on the correct hole.

How do you like them apples @sjduffers?  To be fair, if we even had a competition to finish the composite, I play a lot more than you.  Go get #14, maybe with an eagle!

• Like 2

Brian Kuehn

I am just starting this challenge and curios, is there an issue if I look back at my scores and record shots retroactively to the start of this season?  Fortunately I have every round in GamGolf so I can find the scores.  Worst case, I can just start from here.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Well, I finished the "Composite" today.  Unlikely to make any eagles but one never knows.

I had #10 and #13 left.  Today we played Pierce Lake and I would not have guessed I would birdie #10.  For longer hitting players, the 543 yard par 5 is likely a birdie hole.  For me I just try to get inside of the 150 marker and then carry the wetlands with my third shot.  Today I rolled in the 15 footer.  #13 is just a 351 par 4 which I made three good shots.  I was not sure whether I needed #13 or #14 but it turns out I made birdie on the correct hole.

How do you like them apples @sjduffers?  To be fair, if we even had a competition to finish the composite, I play a lot more than you.  Go get #14, maybe with an eagle!

@bkuehn1952, First off, congrats for finishing the composite challenge. That has got to be a really good feeling, knowing that on a miracle day, you could shoot 18 under par (or better), even if it's on a combination of courses and not just a single one. :beer:

Now, for the kicker, you have no idea how close I came to beat you by a few hours. Yesterday afternoon, I was not even thinking about this when I got onto #14, pushed my drive a bit right, ended on the hillside of a bunker and missed the green (by maybe 3 yards) short and right. A nice semi-high chip to the right of the pin, which checked nicely and started rolling gently to the left towards the hole ended up being right in line with the cup and about 1.5" short! Not even one more f***ing rotation!! :mad:😜

So no luck for me, but I already had holed out a chip for birdie earlier in the round, and generally my chipping was really on point that day, with many tap-ins pars after only getting 2 GIRs for the whole round. Ups and downs they say.  That, it was.

Again, kudos on your success. Now focus on finishing the home course. 👍

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

8 hours ago, StuM said:

I am just starting this challenge and curios, is there an issue if I look back at my scores and record shots retroactively to the start of this season?  Fortunately I have every round in GamGolf so I can find the scores.  Worst case, I can just start from here.

I believe the idea is to see how you would do over the course of 2020.  If you have scorecards from earlier in the year, use them to develop your "ringer" score for 2020.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I believe the idea is to see how you would do over the course of 2020.  If you have scorecards from earlier in the year, use them to develop your "ringer" score for 2020.

Yup.

Any time in 2020.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Thx, I posted my score back to my first league day on 4-18-20 and looks better than I anticipated.  I look forward to completing the challenge.

• Upvote 1

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Played my "home" course last week with my son and 4-yr old grandson.  As I am looking to "par" all 18 over the challenge, I was able to add another hole as "done".  It was #18, a par 4 with water most of the way on the left, trees on the right, huge fairway bunker right about where my ball stops on a good drive.  This hole I always bogie or worse.  It has been a nemesis, but this time I had a great, for me, tee shot with the driver that left me just short of the fairway bunker I tend to find.  A 5i to the edge of the green for nGIR.  A quick chip with the 9i for a 5' putt for par.  Cannot complain.  Still have a number of holes to get on the card as par.  Then maybe in the balance of the year, work on an upgrade to birdie on some or most.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, WillieT said:

Played my "home" course last week with my son and 4-yr old grandson.  As I am looking to "par" all 18 over the challenge, I was able to add another hole as "done".  It was #18, a par 4 with water most of the way on the left, trees on the right, huge fairway bunker right about where my ball stops on a good drive.  This hole I always bogie or worse.  It has been a nemesis, but this time I had a great, for me, tee shot with the driver that left me just short of the fairway bunker I tend to find.  A 5i to the edge of the green for nGIR.  A quick chip with the 9i for a 5' putt for par.  Cannot complain.  Still have a number of holes to get on the card as par.  Then maybe in the balance of the year, work on an upgrade to birdie on some or most.  

It is always nice to get a nemesis out of the way.  Maybe your grandson brought you good luck.  Congratulations.

Stuart M.

This challenge is making me look at my game a little differently.  One thing I just noticed, of all of my holes on my home course I have made par on all of the Par-5 holes, 3 of 5 Par-3 holes but only 2 of 9 on the Par-4 holes.  I need to figure out what I am doing wrong on the Par 4 holes.  In fact, I have made par on the Par-5's more in total than on all of the Par 3 & 4 holes combined.

I think the issue is my putting, but need to see if the stats confirm that.  Hopefully this gives me an idea of where I need to focus my practice time.

Stuart M.

• Administrator

Played away (Little Mountain) today and knocked off 7 and 11. I only have 4 and 13 left on the composite! Still 1, 2, and 8 left on the home course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, StuM said:

It is always nice to get a nemesis out of the way.  Maybe your grandson brought you good luck.  Congratulations.

He is a joy to have on the course...I have a photo of him hitting a foam ball at the ocean.  I simply call it "He believes he can carry the ocean".  In his eyes no hole is impossible and any day with a golf club in hand is a great day.   We could all learn from such purity of thought. 

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I banged out the two par-threes on the back nine yesterday. I've got six holes left: seven, nine, 10, 11, 13, 14. None of them are particularly hard, save maybe 14. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 8/7/2020 at 1:13 PM, TourSpoon said:

Added number 4 to the list today. I missed a 4 footer on 6 and as I was walking off the green I remembered thinking about needing it for the composite. 🤣

Added #5 today so its 1, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18.  Lipped out on 16.  Started keeping track in June. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 1/23/2020 at 1:37 PM, Lugowskins said:

Sad because I wont be able to start for like another 3 months probably (gotta love Michigan) but I love this idea! Unfortunately there are 3 holes on my "home" course that I am yet to birdie in my 4 year golf career and will probably take a lot of luck even if my game is in a good place to make it happen. They are all in a row 15, 16, 17 I have only seen one of them birdied by an individual and that was a chip in and we struggle to birdie them even in our 4 man scrambles sooo lets just say confidence is low lol

Well my original post was pretty spot on and while I did chip in on 16 for birdie I still have 4 holes to go. A 165 yard par 3 that I have had a heck of a time consistently sticking yet alone giving myself birdie ops, a 90 degree dogleg right par 4 that is pretty sad I haven't birdied it yet, hole 15 which is a 90 degree dogleg left with the tiniest toughest green I've ever played I'll be shocked if I get this one, and lastly a 195 yard par 3 that I cant seem to hit. I think I will get 2 of those 4 it might take a little luck to actually finish this. 

Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!