IGNORED

Kids Club Question

Benit0
Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I have purchased a used set of kids club for my daughter last years (she is now 6 yrs old) and go to the driving range a couple of times a years with her to hit some balls. Right now she basically just hit her 7 iron and told me her driver is too hard to hit. At that age i just focus on making contact with the ball and let her have fun and don't bother much about technique,

Now my 4 yrs old son wants to come with us and wants his clubs!! The problem is that my daughter is left-handed and my son is right-handed so he can't used her club (also they are a bit too long for him).

At the couple of driving range I went, they had kids clubs but they seems to be a bit too long for him. The only time I had a club with the good size for him was when I went to a driving range last summer and they had course for kids going on and the teacher let me borrow the smaller driver he had for him to try.

From what I see with my daughter, probably a set with a driver, a 7 iron and a putter will be enough for him at his age. It is hard to found used kit online for that age, usually the kids or junior set I see is for 7 yrs old and older. And if i buy only one club, do I buy a driver or an iron??

Also, I don't really want to purchase a set at over 100$ since I don't know if he is going to like it enough to be worth it.

Do some of you guys had the same or similar situation with young kids??

Any advice will be appreciated! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My grandson is 6, my granddaughter is 4. i'm waiting to introduce my granddaughter to golf until she gets a little older, (she doesn't appear to be interested right now). So far my grandson has been using a toy plastic set in the backyard and hits it pretty good, but I am waiting for him to get a little bigger before buying clubs for him. I've looked and you're correct, every set I see in Dicks is for older/bigger kids. 

I thought about cutting an old seven iron down and regrip it for him but I think it would be to heavy?

So I'm waiting another year or so. Heck, he is so involved with soccer, kung fu, T-ball, and other sports.

But you take you children to the range, maybe start the smaller one off with a plastic set until he gets a little older. He probably wont know the difference. And as I said I take them out into the backyard when they come over and let them swing away, they have fun.

Happy to hear that they are taking an interest in the game at such a young age.

When my son started off with golf I purchased him a club called the Yard Club from US Kids golf and I matched that up with a small putter.  If he ends up liking it though where you want to purchase more, the sets are a bigger bargain then purchasing individual clubs.

• Thumbs Up 1

My dad cut down old cheap blades for me growing up. I'd suggest a 3 iron (7i and putter) instead of a driver but that is just me. They will be a bit heavy, but it is a much cheaper solution than finding a set, and you never know how much they will want to stick with it. If they still like it, in 2 years time you can cut down a 4i 6i and 8i (if you had the whole set) and maybe a wood.

This is just the experience that I had growing up and I am not a coach or an expert. I did start swinging a club when I was 3 though. Got the chip in a 1968 mustang's front fender to prove it lol. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Both my kids used US Kids clubs.  IMO, best things around for kids, especially the very young ones.  US Kids has a growth chart to help you pick the appropriate color code for the size of the child.

When my kids started, they only had Green, Blue and Red.  Now there are many more.  BEST thing about US Kida was the ability to just buy individual clubs.  My kids just had 7 irons for a while.  Then we got them each a fairway wood to hit off the tee. US Kids drivers are designed for kids and as long as you get the one that corresponds to your child’s height etc... in their fitting system, it should work.

Best thing I ever bought for my kids and like I said, just but individual clubs not a set, no need for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to Kids Club Question
18 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Both my kids used US Kids clubs.  IMO, best things around for kids, especially the very young ones.  US Kids has a growth chart to help you pick the appropriate color code for the size of the child.

When my kids started, they only had Green, Blue and Red.  Now there are many more.  BEST thing about US Kida was the ability to just buy individual clubs.  My kids just had 7 irons for a while.  Then we got them each a fairway wood to hit off the tee. US Kids drivers are designed for kids and as long as you get the one that corresponds to your child’s height etc... in their fitting system, it should work.

Best thing I ever bought for my kids and like I said, just but individual clubs not a set, no need for that.

This sounds awesome. Wish I had something like that when I was a tyke. What a great idea

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

US Kids clubs are awesome and have tons of options depending on the child's height, skill level, etc. AND they make everything left handed too! 

• Like 1

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

I’ve mentioned my brother in my recent posts in “What’d You Shoot Today?”. However, I have another brother. He’s 4 years old, and he wants to play golf as well. He got clubs for his birthday back in May, and the set included a driver, 7I, 9I and putter. He’s scraped it on the cement so much that the clubhead is really messed up 😂.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Thanks for all the good advice. I think i'll borrow the shortest club at the range and bring him once or twice and if I see that he really loves it purchase some club for him. U.S Kids club seems very nice, it's just a little more expensive in Canada (75.59$ before taxes with shipping 😫). I don't know at that point if i just borrow club for now and buy a used set when he is a bit taller than right now. I'll see. I've seen used set for kids around 50-70$.

I also have a plastic set for kids that he already used at home during summer but it's pretty cheap and beat up 😄

1 hour ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’ve mentioned my brother in my recent posts in “What’d You Shoot Today?”. However, I have another brother. He’s 4 years old, and he wants to play golf as well. He got clubs for his birthday back in May, and the set included a driver, 7I, 9I and putter. He’s scraped it on the cement so much that the clubhead is really messed up 😂.

Good news, bad news.  You have a few years on your 4 year old lil' brother... you should outscore him for several more years.  The bad news... he's going to be better than you or your other brother.  That'll be because you will be able to teach him... he will look up to you but still try to beat you.  And he will.  Get back to me in 12 years on this one... 😊

Wondering what clubs Earl bought for Tiger when he was a kid?

• Like 1

OP

I see a ton of kids clubs on Craigslist....I don't look at the details if any are for kids 4-6 ....I think many of the sets including a bag are really cheap.

You can also post that you are looking for kids clubs....I bet you might get a few responses.

I don't know if Kiijijii is more popular than Craigslist in Montreal.

@Benit0, I just bought my 12 year old daughter a set of Top Flite clubs from Dick's Sporting Goods. They're of descent quality and will last her a great while. Probably a bit more than you want to spend until you see if he wants to stick with it.

Not sure if you are on Facebook, but surfing the Marketplace section, there are always several kids sets for sale there. The age/height range keeps them in pretty good circulation there it seems. You can likely find a nice second hand set for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Good news, bad news.  You have a few years on your 4 year old lil' brother... you should outscore him for several more years.  The bad news... he's going to be better than you or your other brother.  That'll be because you will be able to teach him... he will look up to you but still try to beat you.  And he will.  Get back to me in 12 years on this one... 😊

Wondering what clubs Earl bought for Tiger when he was a kid?

That’s exactly what I’m worried about. However, I’m fairly confident that I’ll be shooting 70s by then, and he probably will be as well. The three of us are gonna have to compete several times to see who really is the best out of the three of us 😃

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

My eldest son started getting into golf when he was 4 years old (now 6, nearly 7). I got him putter, SW,7, hybrid and driver from Sports direct (they were £6 each) in 4-5 year old sizes. He got into it and comes to the range with me whenever i go.

He asked Santa for new clubs for Christmas and as luck would have it we, sorry Santa, had a friend who had some 6-8 year old Wilson clubs (PW, 7, Fairway and a putter with a matching stand bag all in really good condition) their son had grown out of. "Santa" gave them £30 for them and my son was jumping round the room when he unwrapped them.

Checked on line and a set of wilson junior clubs similar are about £60-£70 new so we got a bargain.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

17 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

OP

I see a ton of kids clubs on Craigslist....I don't look at the details if any are for kids 4-6 ....I think many of the sets including a bag are really cheap.

You can also post that you are looking for kids clubs....I bet you might get a few responses.

I don't know if Kiijijii is more popular than Craigslist in Montreal.

Kijiji and Facebook marketplace is more popular than Craigslist in Montreal definitively.

I'll be on the lookout for used set, but right now in the middle of the winter, there are not many for sales.

Probably at the end of the winter when people buy new sets for their kids, there will be more for sell and i'll have a better chance of finding a used set for my son. Until then, i'll borrow clubs when going to the driving range.

My father in law also have a set with graphite shaft that he doesn't used anymore. Maybe I could take an iron from that set and cut it for my son. He probably wouldn't say no for his grandson 😊

• 3 months later...

Are there used sporting goods stores in your area?  We have a local place that I've bought a bunch of clubs for my kids from, and he usually has a big selection.  So many people go out and buy clubs for their kids, only to see them outgrow them, and they just dump them.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

My daughter Alina is 6 years old. I started her off with the $89 Top-Flite set from Dick's. She now has a U.S. Kids 51" set (she's about 49"). She has a Driver, 3-wood, hybrid, 6-iron, 8-iron, PW, SW and putter. Anyway I see the 39 and 42 inch sets from U.S. Kids on eBay for $50-$100 if you're in the market for sub $100. 

Side note: 2-year-old Zoey has been known to steal Alina's old putter. But Alina gave Zoey her old clubs for Easter. But she wants to wait till Zoey is 3 to have her come golfing with us. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!