Jump to content
IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More


iacas

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Just watched my first (and probably last) few minutes of LIV.  My local cable company has CW at channel 5 immediately adjacent to PGA tour on channel 4.

I enjoyed it for one reason: cuz I played Mayakoba a few months ago.  But everything else, very meh.  Don’t like the teams, the colorful graphics, the shorts, the music in the background??, among the other obvious and previously discussed issues.

 

Edited by Golfingdad
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It was unwatchable today. Nothing special about these Sunday morning mens club groupings. Dj’s demeanor reminds me of a newly middle aged player. Bubba the hipster middle aged dude still cracking jokes during a round. Paul Casey looks like my uncle and Brooks just doesn’t want to be playing. Still good golfers just doesn’t look like they are playing for anything. I could be wrong, just the optics I see. 

  • Like 2

  :sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

 Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, jmanbooyaa said:

It was unwatchable today. Nothing special about these Sunday morning mens club groupings. Dj’s demeanor reminds me of a newly middle aged player. Bubba the hipster middle aged dude still cracking jokes during a round. Paul Casey looks like my uncle and Brooks just doesn’t want to be playing. Still good golfers just doesn’t look like they are playing for anything. I could be wrong, just the optics I see. 

Actually this is a perfect summation of WHY I dont like the things I listed above.  Shorts, or music, or the teams, by themselves don’t necessarily mens anything bad, but you’re dead on - it’s like what they’re doing doesn’t matter.  And if it don’t matter to them it sure as heck don’t matter to me.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
19323190-scaled-e1677009504621.jpg

Last week’s announcement by The CW that LIV Golf “will air in 100 percent of its markets across the United States” was thought of as a coup for the Saudi-operated golf league, but there are new details emerging...
Quote

Deadline reports that several CW affiliates will *not* be airing LIV Golf events, including all eight CBS-owned and operated affiliates across the country. Those eight affiliates are in Philadelphia, Atlanta, San Francisco, Tampa, Seattle, Detroit, Sacramento, and Pittsburgh. Additionally, the Weigel-owned affiliate in Chicago will not air LIV, nor will Tegna-owned affiliates like San Diego and Hartford

Bummer.

  • Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LIV Golf posts dismal rating for CW debut. 

Saturday's second-round ratings are in and they are brutal. The event averaged a 0.2 in the 26 markets that carried it. Just absolutely brutal.

 

 

01gt7z518esg7hqkcxgz.jpg

LIV Golf wrapped up its first tournament of 2023 on Sunday in Mayakoba...

 

 

 

 

  • Funny 1
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

LIV Golf posts dismal rating for CW debut. 

Saturday's second-round ratings are in and they are brutal. The event averaged a 0.2 in the 26 markets that carried it. Just absolutely brutal.

 

 

01gt7z518esg7hqkcxgz.jpg

LIV Golf wrapped up its first tournament of 2023 on Sunday in Mayakoba...

 

 

 

 

I actually tuned in on Saturday and for the first 10 minutes, they had no audio. Talk about a bad omen. I watched a little on Sunday and it just isn't that interesting. Far more intriguing stories coming out of the Honda. I saw a post on Facebook from a LIV supporter talking about the lousy leaderboard at Honda. Like Charles Howell and Peter Uihlein is so much better? Paul Casey? At least the Honda guys had something to play for. Watching some of those LIV guys, it just looks like they really don't care. I'm wondering if some of the "hype" and new formats has kinda run its course. No new big names this year. 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/25/2023 at 5:56 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

Still good golfers just doesn’t look like they are playing for anything

Exactly.  They are not playing for their livelihood. They are not playing to qualify for next weeks round. They are not playing to solidify their legacy among PGA legends. They are playing because they sold their soul and their owners told them to play!


"Players must play in every LIV event as a fundamental condition of their contract, and LIV retains "sole discretion" in the number, location, or dates of events."

  • Like 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Exactly.  They are not playing for their livelihood. They are not playing to qualify for next weeks round. They are not playing to solidify their legacy among PGA legends. They are playing because they sold their soul and their owners told them to play!


"Players must play in every LIV event as a fundamental condition of their contract, and LIV retains "sole discretion" in the number, location, or dates of events."

Yep. Basically they've had life changing and in some cases" "generational wealth" dropped in their laps. Kind of like winning the lottery or getting a big inheritance that they didn't have to work for. 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Yep. Basically they've had life changing and in some cases" "generational wealth" dropped in their laps. Kind of like winning the lottery or getting a big inheritance that they didn't have to work for. 

You can disdain their choice all you want, I certainly don't like it, but they had to work very hard to get these offers and will continue to have to work to meet their obligations. Nothing like winning a lottery or getting an inheritance IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

I actually tuned in on Saturday and for the first 10 minutes, they had no audio. Talk about a bad omen. I watched a little on Sunday and it just isn't that interesting. Far more intriguing stories coming out of the Honda. I saw a post on Facebook from a LIV supporter talking about the lousy leaderboard at Honda. Like Charles Howell and Peter Uihlein is so much better? Paul Casey? At least the Honda guys had something to play for. Watching some of those LIV guys, it just looks like they really don't care. I'm wondering if some of the "hype" and new formats has kinda run its course. No new big names this year. 

Yup.  I never heard of Eric Cole before yesterday and I very likely might forget his name tomorrow - but his story was compelling and it made the tournament interesting to watch.  There's nothing compelling and interesting about LIV, IMO.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, chspeed said:

but they had to work very hard to get these offers

Millions of people work just as hard but never get the opportunity these guys got…thanks to the PGA TOUR for most of them.

  • Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The most interesting thing I saw on Friday was that the CW app had the 1st season of Wayward Pines to stream. Who knew a show ai enjoyed from a few years ago was available to re watch. 

  :sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

 Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, chspeed said:

You can disdain their choice all you want, I certainly don't like it, but they had to work very hard to get these offers and will continue to have to work to meet their obligations. Nothing like winning a lottery or getting an inheritance IMO.

This is a valid point. 

I don't like their choices either. I have said many times that I wouldn't take the money. But it won't be offered to me either. ... Unless @iacas can really coach me up in the next year or two. The guy is a great coach, but he's not a miracle worker. 🤪

Seriously though, every one of those guys is/was very talented and has worked hard at their craft for a long time. I don't like LIV Golf. I want it to fail. I want it to go away. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Posts

    • Day 41: Pitching/chipping into the net. A few full swings with driver hitting Almost Golf balls.
    • Day 568, May 23, 2024 Loooooooong day today. Got some shadow work done with an umbrella.
    • Day 148: 5/23/24 Hit balls on the range measuring ball speed for each club. Recently watched a fitting video where the fitter said he targeted 5 mph ball speed increase for each club.  Mine weren’t quite there. 4 and 5 mph were pretty similar except for 1 ball. Big jump for hybrid, bigger jump for 4-hybrid, and huge change for driver. Swung for the fences with driver and hit them all pretty straight at the end of my session. Several at 111 mph, which is above my normal speed. Finished with chipping release 1 with several clubs.  Good session!
    • Birdied 15 at my home course today and made a birdie the other day at a course I don’t usually play. Will update the spreadsheet once I’m home on my computer. 
    • Day 70. Played 9 at Grand Niagara. Very very windy day, but I hit the ball well for me. The wind did help me hit my longest drive ever at 282y and I did make a birdie on a par 5. 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...