IGNORED

What’s Wrong Here??

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For a while, I managed to get rid of an ugly slice that Ive had as long as I remember. But in my round Sunday, as I mentioned in my post, the slice came back, just as bad (if not worse) than before. First match is only two weeks away, so the time I have to get back on track is limited. So what are some possible swing faults that may have brought my slice back?

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

You're swinging left of the face. Or badly heeling the ball. Or both.

There are twenty things you could be doing wrong.

You don't have a Member Swing topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're swinging left of the face. Or badly heeling the ball. Or both.

There are twenty things you could be doing wrong.

You don't have a Member Swing topic.

I’ve tried to make a video and post it under the Member Swing topic. Filming the video was successful, but posting it here was not. I’m gonna go to the range later this week and try to film again. Also, about the ‘badly heeling”, I have noticed that a good number of my mishits have been off the heel.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

If you can't post a swing thread. Here's the best I can do for you.

Follow these instructions:

1 - Go buy a dry erase marker... NOT A SHARPIE.... must be a dry erase marker.

2 - Go to the range. 

3 - Get out which ever club you seem to be having the most trouble with. You didn't mention in your original post if this is an iron thing or a driver thing.

4 - Take 5 range balls out of the basket. Draw a 1/2 inch long line on each ball using the dry erase marker.

5 - Set each ball with the line vertical, such that you will strike the line with your club. (i.e. the line needs to transfer to your club face.)

6 - Hit each of the 5 balls. BUT DON'T LOOK at your club face until you've hit all five balls. Just do your best to hit all five balls to the best of your current ability. 

7 - Now look at your club face. Take a picture of that club face and post it in this thread. 

8 - Wait to read what everyone writes. 

9 - Go forth from there. 

post-268638-0-83197400-1380222144.jpg.69e0ddeeb47dd31b733ed4fc30628086.jpg

Your club will (hopefully) look something like this... only with 5 lines.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If you can't post a swing thread. Here's the best I can do for you.

Follow these instructions:

1 - Go buy a dry erase marker... NOT A SHARPIE.... must be a dry erase marker.

2 - Go to the range. 

3 - Get out which ever club you seem to be having the most trouble with. You didn't mention in your original post if this is an iron thing or a driver thing.

4 - Take 5 range balls out of the basket. Draw a 1/2 inch long line on each ball using the dry erase marker.

5 - Set each ball with the line vertical, such that you will strike the line with your club. (i.e. the line needs to transfer to your club face.)

6 - Hit each of the 5 balls. BUT DON'T LOOK at your club face until you've hit all five balls. Just do your best to hit all five balls to the best of your current ability. 

7 - Now look at your club face. Take a picture of that club face and post it in this thread. 

8 - Wait to read what everyone writes. 

9 - Go forth from there. 

post-268638-0-83197400-1380222144.jpg.69e0ddeeb47dd31b733ed4fc30628086.jpg

Your club will (hopefully) look something like this... only with 5 lines.

I like this idea a lot, and was actually going to post in a minute that the slice most severely affects the 3W and driver, but my 5W and down are fine for the most part. So I’ll do one of those, probably the 3W. 

WITB:

2 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

I like this idea a lot, and was actually going to post in a minute that the slice most severely affects the 3W and driver, but my 5W and down are fine for the most part. So I’ll do one of those, probably the 3W. 

Remember, DRY ERASE marker. It will rub right off the face of your driver or 3W. Also, by time the ball stops rolling it will come off the range ball too. 

Good luck

39 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

So what are some possible swing faults that may have brought my slice back?

Obviously the best thing would be to post a video and let the experts here analyze.

For me in particular (can’t say if this is your issue or not), whenever I start seeing left to right ball flight it’s usually that my swing path has drifted a few degrees out-to-in. Usually the root cause is I’m not making a full turn with hips/shoulders, just sort of faking it by moving my arms at the top if that makes sense. So my instructor gives me some drills/feels for making a full turn and usually in one swing my path is 1-2 degrees in-to-out again. I’ll still occasionally leave the face open for a push/push-slice but the heely banana slice is gone.

Hope you get it sorted out. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

55 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

For a while, I managed to get rid of an ugly slice that Ive had as long as I remember. But in my round Sunday, as I mentioned in my post, the slice came back, just as bad (if not worse) than before. First match is only two weeks away, so the time I have to get back on track is limited. So what are some possible swing faults that may have brought my slice back?

As others have already said, it's (1) strike--you're hitting it out of the heel; (2) your face is open to the path on which you are swinging; (3) could be a dynamic lie issue--where you have raised the shaft way, way higher than that at address; or some combination.  

Post videos of your swing, grabs some lessons, or try out the advice already given.  I sometimes struggle with a heel hit myself-- I found that standing a bit further away helped me not feel so "jammed up" and freed me up to swing on plane better.

1 hour ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’ve tried to make a video and post it under the Member Swing topic. Filming the video was successful, but posting it here was not. I’m gonna go to the range later this week and try to film again. Also, about the ‘badly heeling”, I have noticed that a good number of my mishits have been off the heel.

Did you upload your video to YouTube? Do that then paste the link in your swing thread.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Go to the range and intentionally try to draw the ball with smooth 3/4 swings, you'll probably hit it straight.  Check posture, alignment, stance, and ball position.  Try to feel like you are delivering the club face to the ball from the inside with a slightly closed club face, the ball should draw but in your case, it might just go straight.  Swing easy.  Swing, don't hit with the right shoulder (if you are a righty).  Or, try hitting some easy punch shots with a 6 iron from the middle of your stance.  Take it back to 9 o'clock and punch/trap the ball but follow thru only to 3 o'clock.  Try to make the divots not go left, try for straight and symmetrical divots.  Golf is a game of opposites, if you want it to go left, you have to aim right.  If you went it to go high, you have to hit down.  Try learning to draw the ball but focus on the path of the clubface into the ball.  Take that all with a huge grain of salt.   What are the cures?  Who knows without a diagnosis, we're all guessing.

It could partly be a weak grip.  Too much tension in the hands and forearms?  Your hips and stance could open at address.  Posture might be wrong.  You could be jammed up to the ball at address (heel strike, gear effect).  Your left elbow and arm position could be wrong at address.  You probably have a reverse pivot.  You probably start down with the right shoulder and over the top combined with a reverse weight shift and weak grip, it is a weak heel slice (path left, left, left and some degree of open face relative to path) but for sure, your path is wrong. Slicers always have outside to inside path.  Shafts could be too stiff.  Grips too fat (club gripped with the palms).  Lie angles could be too flat. Just a SWAG.  Could be a lot of problems but outside path for sure and probably incorrectly activated right shoulder with a weak grip is my guess.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, post a video and you will get a thousand opinions.  You mentioned you had managed to rid yourself of the slicing curse, what was the original fix?

Spray foot powder will also work too...……..  make sure you get the powder, not the clear.  Will wipe right off with an towel.  I keep a can in my bag.  Instant feedback.

See the source image

Image result for spray foot powder on golf club face

Edited by IowaGreg
  • Like 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

8 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

Spray foot powder will also work too...……..  make sure you get the powder, not the clear.  Will wipe right off with an towel.  I keep a can in my bag.  Instant feedback.

See the source image

Image result for spray foot powder on golf club face

I agree with the foot powder for quick feedback. But it doesn't give you as much information as the line. The line will give you lie angle in addition to strike location. Again, make sure it's a dry erase marker, not a sharpie. I've seen folks use sharpies and it's a bear to get off the club. I keep 2 dry erase markers in my bag. One black one to use with irons and a purple one to use on my driver.... my driver has a black face. Technically, I could use the purple one for both... but … I'm kind of goofy.

The foot powder, on the other hand, does have the benefit of being able to actually use it on your feet mid round if you get them wet and they start to get itchy or something. 👍

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I agree with the foot powder for quick feedback. But it doesn't give you as much information as the line. The line will give you lie angle in addition to strike location. Again, make sure it's a dry erase marker, not a sharpie. I've seen folks use sharpies and it's a bear to get off the club. I keep 2 dry erase markers in my bag. One black one to use with irons and a purple one to use on my driver.... my driver has a black face. Technically, I could use the purple one for both... but … I'm kind of goofy.

The foot powder, on the other hand, does have the benefit of being able to actually use it on your feet mid round if you get them wet and they start to get itchy or something. 👍

He's most likely slicing from path, not lie angle. He can likely still slice it with a lie angle that's too flat OR too upright.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

He's most likely slicing from path, not lie angle. He can likely still slice it with a lie angle that's too flat OR too upright.

I'm sure you are right. In truth, I'm really not sure why or how he's slicing. I'm not a swing coach. I actually try to avoid offering any actual swing advice on this forum. I don't think I'm qualified to do so. It just sounded like he was having trouble and couldn't get the video thing to work. So, I was just trying to give him an easy way to get as much information about his swing as possible without the video. 
Me thinks if he can upload a MySwing thread he'd be better off. But this was the best advice I had to offer on how to get some help from the many experts on this forum. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm sure you are right. In truth, I'm really not sure why or how he's slicing. I'm not a swing coach. I actually try to avoid offering any actual swing advice on this forum. I don't think I'm qualified to do so. It just sounded like he was having trouble and couldn't get the video thing to work. So, I was just trying to give him an easy way to get as much information about his swing as possible without the video. 
Me thinks if he can upload a MySwing thread he'd be better off. But this was the best advice I had to offer on how to get some help from the many experts on this forum. 

You don't have to justify it. And you don't have to shy away from swing help. You know more about it than many others.

I just don't think the lie angle will be a big determinant here.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like Eric said there are a lot of different things that can be causing a slice. The end result is club face is open to club path. But what is causing it? Take a video (there are instructions in the forum of how to do it), set up a My Swing thread and let Eric take a look at your swing. Or find a qualified PGA pro and take some lessons. But you have to practice what these guys tell you to practice in order to fix your slice. Sometimes you might not like what they tell you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!