IGNORED

Peter Kostis on Latest NLU Podcast

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The latest episode with Peter Kostis is a lot. Now that he's not with CBS anymore, there are some tell us how you really feel gems. I feel bad that I criticized him so much in that I never really appreciated what he had to deal with, so tip of the hat to you, Peter Kostis. My bad. Some highlights, the delivery service Cup winner prize money will go to 25 million. Gambling will be big. None of TPTB cares about the telecast. Cameras - not enough. And money. Money, money, money.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Curious what other people think but I really enjoyed it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

28 minutes ago, jamo said:

Curious what other people think but I really enjoyed it.

I really loved his idea of put out all the cameras. More cameras!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Peter is a down to earth guy, I enjoyed the podcast.
I'm surprised he and Ferrety were not offered spots to work the Champions Tour. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

36 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I really loved his idea of put out all the cameras. More cameras!

He said that Fox loses a ton of money on broadcasting golf. NBC seems to have more cameras and overall better production - do they also lose money, or is CBS uniquely penny-pinching?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• iacas changed the title to Peter Kostis on Latest NLU Podcast
  • Administrator

I think they might all lose money broadcasting golf. But if CBS doesn't, that would explain the ten billion commercials we have to endure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also...

"I've seen Patrick Reed improve his lies up close and personal, four times now."

To McCord, after watching him hit a three wood out of heavy rough at Beth Page Black, " Well, the lie I saw originally would not have allowed for that shot."

I listened to it today, too. Some pretty bad stuff like his interview of the winner being given to someone else because he wouldn’t talk about the FedEx cup. A lot of it was just depressing to hear though. If you believe his point of view, golf coverage is going to continue to suck for a long time.

His Reed comments were refreshing. Call a spade a spade. Pun intended. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Sorry for being dense, but if all the networks lose money on golf broadcasts, why do they bid so much for it and do they make money from the the rights in other ways?

It was kind of satisfying to hear Kostis himself complaining about ads. I mean, we've been doing that here, like, forever. Some viewers may have only recently begun to complain, but I feel like I started down that path, 10 years ago?

Steve

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Sorry for being dense, but if all the networks lose money on golf broadcasts, why do they bid so much for it and do they make money from the the rights in other ways?

It was kind of satisfying to hear Kostis himself complaining about ads. I mean, we've been doing that here, like, forever. Some viewers may have only recently begun to complain, but I feel like I started down that path, 10 years ago?

As Kostis said re: Fox, they treat it as a loss leader. They hope you’ll forget to turn your TV off and leave 60 Minutes on in the background (except on the west coast) and tune in Thursday at 8 for an all new Young Sheldon. 

In my bag:

5 minutes ago, jamo said:

As Kostis said re: Fox, they treat it as a loss leader. They hope you’ll forget to turn your TV off and leave 60 Minutes on in the background (except on the west coast) and tune in Thursday at 8 for an all new Young Sheldon. 

Oh right. That sounds like such a risky proposition nowadays, but what do I know? I'll never understand the tv business. Secret sauce indeed.

Steve

14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I very much doubt that it’s a loss leader. Maybe for Fox. But golf has a great demographic to sell things to, and I’d imagine the ad rates are pretty high. 

-- Daniel

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I very much doubt that it’s a loss leader. Maybe for Fox. But golf has a great demographic to sell things to, and I’d imagine the ad rates are pretty high. 

But… if they lose money, that kinda negates what you're saying.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

But… if they lose money, that kinda negates what you're saying.

Sure, but I’m doubting that the broadcasts lose money. I don’t think Kostis really knows that. 

-- Daniel

Sounds like I need to prioritize this podcast in my queue.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 2/19/2020 at 6:39 PM, iacas said:

I think they might all lose money broadcasting golf. But if CBS doesn't, that would explain the ten billion commercials we have to endure.

True that! Something has to pay for the telecast. 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:50 PM, cutchemist42 said:

Listened today......I think the PGA is currently a bad tv product and I got a lot of insight into why today. 

Oh Lord! I wanted to shoot myself when the "Gruppo Salinas" ad would come on for the thousandth time! And the pace of play was abysmal! 

• Like 1

I really admired how modern-day corporate-speak those Grupo Salinas commercials were. 

Told you all about how socially concscious they were but didn't say a damn thing about what they were or what they do.  Other than foster diversity and inclusivity and stuff.

But thanks for the link on the NLU podcast - this should be interesting.  Now they need to land Gary McCord next.

Edited by 3jacker

Note: This thread is 1520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!