IGNORED

COVID-19 Strikes the PGA Tour, Events to be Played Without Fans

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 1481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Is that for the safety of the announcers... or for the safety of your ears/brain? 

No, more along the long the lines of "as long as we're..."

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, David in FL said:

So instead of going to large, sporting events, people will crowd into bars to watch them.  Yeah, that’ll help.

:doh:

No. Don’t go to bars, either. Stay in mostly.

This isn’t about personal responsibility/risk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hey, why can't I go to bars?  Alcohol is disinfecting.  And we "buttress"... everyone separated by two bar stools.  That's if I don't sit next to the fireplace.  This place is on top of the corona virus and is safe.

keenans lounge.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• nevets88 changed the title to Corona Virus strikes the PGA Tour
27 minutes ago, iacas said:

But, it’s what most people will actually do,

Let’s destroy the economy for no real benefit

People are stupid 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Golf Channel will have to overlay a sound track with polite clapping and drunken yelling.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Let’s destroy the economy for no real benefit

People are stupid 

Huh?

Look, I'm of the opinion that if you nip it in the bud, if you suffer with cancellations/delays/etc. for a month, then you run a much better chance of getting back to "normal" the fastest. If you try to act normal now, this thing will still be an issue and people will still be dying in June, July… etc.

This isn't about "I'm willing to risk it, I want to go watch that basketball/hockey/golf/etc. event." It's about containing the spread, halting the spread. It's about the safety of others, of everyone, not about whether any one individual is willing to "risk it."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to COVID-19 Strikes the PGA Tour, Events to be Played Without Fans

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Actually know someone who had it and they’re saying it’s no worse than having the regular flu. People with struggling immune systems suffer worse just like they do with any serious flu. But she said it was no big deal.

I don’t know. I think it’s being overblown a bit by the media who overblows everything and it’s obviously crushing the economy, but it is what it is. You just deal with it. On the plus side, golfs TV ratings should go through the roof. Nothing else to really watch.

Edited by ChrisP

25 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Actually know someone who had it and they’re saying it’s no worse than having the regular flu. People with struggling immune systems suffer worse just like they do with any serious flu. But she said it was no big deal.

I don’t know. I think it’s being overblown a bit by the media who overblows everything and it’s obviously crushing the economy, but it is what it is. You just deal with it. On the plus side, golfs TV ratings should go through the roof. Nothing else to really watch.

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone can seriously have this opinion. ^ The people who have died are not saying it's "no big deal". I mean.. are you serious?

And please do not say that normal influenza is worse because it IS NOT. Covid -19 is more lethal by a very large order of magnitude.

This isn't about how the virus makes you feel. It's about stopping the spread of something that could easily infect the majority of the world's population.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone can seriously have this opinion. ^ The people who have died are not saying it's "no big deal". I mean.. are you serious?

And please do not say that normal influenza is worse because it IS NOT. Covid -19 is more lethal by a very large order of magnitude.

This isn't about how the virus makes you feel. It's about stopping the spread of something that could easily infect the majority of the world's population.

Woah. Where did I say it wasn’t serious? I simply said I knew someone who had it and they said it wasn’t that bad. Tom Hanks’ kid said today his parents have it and they’re not that sick. 

I simply said it is what it is and I think it’s a bit overblown and is killing the economy. They just showed a poll on tv and more than 55% of the country thinks it’s ocerblown. So it’s not just me. The coronavurus is a serious flu, but it’s not something that if we get, we are going to die from unless we have really poor immune systems.

12 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

They just showed a poll on tv and more than 55% of the country thinks it’s ocerblown. So it’s not just me. 

These people have minimised the potential impact of something that could wipe out hundreds of millions of people. 

Up to 30% of people in the U.S. Think the moon landings were fake. 

Just because there are millions of morons* out there doesn't make it OK to be skeptical about something they know nothing about.

* I am not including you here. :-)

Edited by leftybutnotPM

10 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

ChrisP.:

They just showed a poll on tv and more than 55% of the country thinks it’s overblown. So it’s not just me. 

Chris... so is that 55% made up of doctors, biologists, scientists?  It's like a 20 handicapper claiming all you need to do is keep your head down...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

15 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

These people have minimised the potential impact of something that could wipe out hundreds of millions of people. 

Up to 30% of people in the U.S. Think the moon landings were fake. 

Just because there are millions of morons* out there doesn't make it OK to be skeptical about something they know nothing about.

* I am not including you here. :-)

I don’t know. I just live life. If I get it, I get it. Like 99% of people who get it, I’ll prolly be fine in a few days. I’m more worried about my parents who are in their 80s. That’s where my concern lies because older people are most fragile and are where a lot of the deaths are coming from. So I feel for the older people out there in the country who are getting this because it’s dangerous for them.

Edited by ChrisP

5 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I don’t know. I just live life. If I get it, I get it. Like 99% of people who get it, I’ll prolly be fine in a few days. I’m more worried about my parents who are in their 80s. That’s where my concern lies because older people are most fragile and are where a lot of the deaths are coming from. So I feel for the older people out there in the country who are getting this because it’s dangerous for them.

I'm still trying to live life, as well.  I go out... sip a good cocktail at a local watering hole, eat at restaurants, go to the bank, the grocery store, the hardware store, the golf course.  But when I return home my soap bar is getting a workout and my hot water bill is probably going up.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm still trying to live life, as well.  I go out... sip a good cocktail at a local watering hole, eat at restaurants, go to the bank, the grocery store, the hardware store, the golf course.  But when I return home my soap bar is getting a workout and my hot water bill is probably going up.

Haha same here. I don’t know. Maybe I look at things different because I’ve been through war and was on deaths doorstep before so I’m not so concerned with getting it. But I am messaging my parents every 10 minutes telling them to wash their hands and not go out. They can’t afford to get it at their age.

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone can seriously have this opinion. ^ The people who have died are not saying it's "no big deal". I mean.. are you serious

So you're saying the regular flu is significantly less of an issue?  Over 40,000 people in the US die from it each year...

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

7 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

So you're saying the regular flu is significantly less of an issue?  Over 40,000 people in the US die from it each year...

Of course it is!!!!! And there is  a fluvax every year. 

It's the percentage of people who contract the illness and THEN die that is the important number. 

90 people die in car accidents every day in the U.S. You can't just look at total numbers and say that that is the extent of the issue.

You aren't comparing apples with apples.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Note: This thread is 1481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!