IGNORED

Balancing Balls like Bryson?

Note: This thread is 840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

@billchao I wondered if the two methods would correlate.

They should.

I wonder if the "friction" or something in the CheckGo is having any effect? Or maybe the balls are ever-so-slightly out of round, but not out-of-balance?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

@billchao I wondered if the two methods would correlate.

They didn't in my case, but N=3 so it's not saying a lot.

Just now, iacas said:

They should.

I wonder if the "friction" or something in the CheckGo is having any effect? Or maybe the balls are ever-so-slightly out of round, but not out-of-balance?

Yea something is off. They're older balls, but they were never hit.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

54 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or maybe the balls are ever-so-slightly out of round, but not out-of-balance?

It would appear the Titleist DT Solo that kept returning to the same line when spun is indeed out of round. I measured the ball, as best as one can, with a set of digital calipers. It is 1.6805" at its narrowest point and 1.6850" at its widest.

No explanation for why the Wilson Ultra does not produce the same line when spun, though. I've repeated both the saltwater test and the spinning multiple times now.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

21 hours ago, dennyjones said:

6 Srixon / 6 4 layer Kirkland.  

The six tighter shot pictures are the Kirklands.   The more distant shot pics are the Srixon.   The Srixon has a tighter pattern returning to the same spot more often.   There was one Srixon that after three spins returned to the same spot each time.   The patterns don't look random for either.   The Kirklands had more dispersion.

This wasn't a scientific test.   My wife yelled at me to clean up the mess!  (I did).   I added sea salt to a small sauce pan.  It took considerable more salt than I imagined.   I also noticed that the sides of the pan can/could play a part in the rotation of the ball.  I tried to only place a dot if the ball had not touched the side.   Before inserting the balls into the water I turned on the stove burner to expedite the salt concentration.  

All I can conclude from this, BD may be on to something.  Then again, my test, sample size and technique at best were amateurish.   

0417201511 (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201511a (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201511b (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201511c (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201511d (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201511e (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201524 (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201524a (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201525 (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201525a (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201525b (FILEminimizer).jpg

0417201525c (FILEminimizer).jpg

If MY wife caught me doing this she’d have me committed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, billchao said:

It would appear the Titleist DT Solo that kept returning to the same line when spun is indeed out of round. I measured the ball, as best as one can, with a set of digital calipers. It is 1.6805" at its narrowest point and 1.6850" at its widest.

No explanation for why the Wilson Ultra does not produce the same line when spun, though. I've repeated both the saltwater test and the spinning multiple times now.

How sensitive are the calipers? What about the dimples? If you measured bottom of dimple to bottom of dimple...then ridge to ridge your readings would be different. Dimple is about .010” on average yes? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

How sensitive are the calipers? What about the dimples? If you measured bottom of dimple to bottom of dimple...then ridge to ridge your readings would be different. Dimple is about .010” on average yes? 

.010 ".  The same distance as ticking an upside-down cup and calling the putt good.

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well it measures to four significant figures. I don't have another to compare accuracy against.

I rotated the ball slightly at each point of measurement to make sure I caught it at the widest point and not in a dimple or just out of alignment so I was measuring a chord instead of the diameter. I also repeated the measurement process several times and produced the same results.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

33 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

.010 ".  The same distance as ticking an upside-down cup and calling the putt good.

Lol. Yeah...Those guys out there thinking making any contact with the raised cup is a holed ball? WTF? 

All this ball physics is fun...but I’d like to see BD use a TrackMan and compare numbers with the rejects to the accepted balls. I’m hypothesizing there’s no significant effect with regards to shot/putt outcome.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

If MY wife caught me doing this she’d have me committed.

Yeah I’m a retired chemical engineer and even I’m not nerdy enough to do this! There are so many variables too. The ball is spinning very fast. The amount of mass to make it alter its trajectory has to be significant. I don’t think it is.

For a putt, the green surface is not nearly perfect enough to ever test this properly either.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

59 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

even I’m not nerdy enough to do this!

I believe I've just been bitch slapped!   🤣

Bored enough, tired enough...I just needed something different to do on a snowy day in Michigan.   Prior to today we had snow for 3 days.  (I did mow my lawn today.....  STAY OFF MY LAWN.  Reformed Curmudgeon!)

If someone could determine that a ball was always returning to the same spot, wouldn't it be advantageous to have the heavy side opposite "the dot" be facing the putter so that it would roll a little more true?   I'm not sure there is enough data to persuade an argument one way or another.

Edited by dennyjones
  • Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

I believe I've just been bitch slapped!   🤣

Quite the contrary. Being called a nerd by @boogielicious is the highest of compliments.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Bored enough, tired enough...I just needed something different to do on a snowy day in Michigan.   Prior to today we had snow for 3 days.  (I did mow my lawn today.....  STAY OFF MY LAWN.  Reformed Curmudgeon!)

What?!  You own a snow blower that has rotary blades to mow the lawn at the same time???  Nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie Bunker said:

It would be interesting to compare these "bad" balls with "good" balls on an Iron Byron or modern test launcher similar to what the USGA uses. See if there really is any difference in performance. 

Difference? Probably. Significant? I doubt it. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Saw this today and made me think of this, was there ever any consensus that it (balancing balls) makes enough difference to do it? 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Note: This thread is 840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!