IGNORED

Unusual, Unique or Odd Course Features

Note: This thread is 1409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

37 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yes, that’s right, there’s a star on it. I don’t know if it was a living tree when you played there, but it’s just a 20’ tall stump with a star on it now.

It’s one of those courses that people either love or hate.

I think the tree got cut the year before I moved.

I'm one of those love it people.  Not sure why as it didn't really fit my game, but probably because it makes you think and I like courses that make you think.  Saw way too many guys take driver on holes like #14 with that left to right slope and end up in the woods - dumb - I would hit hybrid and then wedge it safely on.

The other reason I liked it is that when I first started playing it was the only course that I could get a good tee time.  So I just kept playing until I was used to the funky lies and stuff.  Shot most of my best rounds there despite the difficulty.

3 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

2) We played a course back in October that had a grass mound about twenty yards short of the green on one of the par-3s. Nobody in my foursome knew what it was, but one person suggested that it may have been a bunker at one point.

I'm going to go with a woolly mammoth in a shallow grave.

30 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It might be Hoffa.

For all the clever stories about old JRH, the truth is much more bland.  He got cremated. Think about it. Who the heck is going to drive that corpse around? Detroit had there go-to places to make em disappear.

22 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Here is the tunnel I was talking about wih @topoftheline89 for reference, and yes, carts really do fit through there.

I definitely wasn't happy the first time I went through that. 

Funny to see all the streaks on the sides of those walls. Must be hell on their cart maintenance.

Edited by mcanadiens

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

48 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm going to go with a woolly mammoth in a shallow grave.

Ehhh...probably not. Good guess though 😉

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

56 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I definitely wasn't happy the first time I went through that. 

Funny to see all the streaks on the sides of those walls. Must be hell on their cart maintenance.

If you look at the walls with a flashlight, you can see streaks of blood. 

OK. Not really.

- Shane

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

If you look at the walls with a flashlight, you can see streaks of blood. 

OK. Not really.

I bet theres been many a busted knuckle in there. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I bet theres been many a busted knuckle in there. 

Whenever I drive through there I would say, “Keep your hands and feet inside the golf cart at all times. Than you for riding.”

• Like 1

- Shane

42 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Whenever I drive through there I would say, “Keep your hands and feet inside the golf cart at all times. Than you for riding.”

Yesterday was the first time I walked through it. Somehow it is more rough than riding through. Something about putting your feet down in there and the way the tracks were spaced. My Clicgear rear wheels were just barely wide enough to be on the nice outside part that is basically untouched, but my buddy was using a 2 wheeler and they were down in the nasty muck water.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

8 hours ago, gbogey said:

If you are dreaming about trips / courses you might take/play when this is all over, and isn't everybody doing that, then the Pete Dye Trail in Indiana is pretty accessible to you.  Indiana and especially Indianapolis is full of Pete Dye courses as he was a native son.  I've played 5 of the 7 courses "listed" on the trail.  Four are really good courses that IMO are bargains for the quality of the course (in addition there are two high quality muni's in Indy that he designed).  The other, Pete Dye Course at French Lick, is far from reasonably priced but it was one of the highest quality bucket list experiences I have had. 

Uh, sorry! But Pete Dye was from Ohio. Born in Urbana, OH. Won the Ohio HS boys golf championship while playing at Urbana HS, and I believe also won the Ohio amateur. I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that Urbana, OH, is located in Champaigne Co., which brings to mind "Shampoo-Banana" Indiana! 

Still, I'd heartily recommend playing some of his courses. You will find another level of course design. There's a course east of Cleveland call Fowler's Mill that we love and try to play at least a couple times a year! It's tough. Locally we have Avalon Lakes, which I got to play last year when entered in a local tournament. Hardest doggone golf course I have EVER played! 

I've seen pics of the French Lick course. It looked otherworldly! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

All my Daytonians will be happy to know that they repaved the tunnel! @topoftheline89 and I played Sugar Isle today and I shot my best round ever on a full length course (43-43-86). @mcanadiens @CarlSpackler

20200425_143030.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

All my Daytonians will be happy to know that they repaved the tunnel! @topoftheline89 and I played Sugar Isle today and I shot my best round ever on a full length course (43-43-86). @mcanadiens @CarlSpackler

20200425_143030.jpg

Nice! Not about the tunnel, but about your score. I almost went out there this afternoon, but I went back out to Homestead.

- Shane

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

Nice! Not about the tunnel, but about your score. I almost went out there this afternoon, but I went back out to Homestead.

Lol, the tunnel didn't change at all if you are in a cart, but made a world of difference walking. My card was 7 free today, which I've done on Dales (par 71 exec.), but nowhere else. Only one double bogey (6 on 15 which is a par 4), 4 pars, and one bird. I'm so happy right now lol.

19 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

What?!  No yellow center line so carts can pass safely?

That thing is so tight that I rubbed the edges on my clicgear 3.5. Just kidding, but it really is exactly 1 cart wide. It makes me wonder if golf carts got larger over the years and that you could actually steer originally when you passed under. Now it just scrapes both sides.

(edited)

I have never played Riviera, with a bunker in the middle of the 6th green.  I have played Doonbeg (now Trump International Ireland) and they have a bunker in the middle of the 12th green.  Anyone played or know of another hole with a bunker in the middle of a green?

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

I've played courses over the years that had unique issues with them.

Bunkers in th e middle of the greens. Also kidney shaped greens. Put your ball in the wtong section on the green, you either add a couple of putts, or damage the green with wedge to to get to the pin. 

Played in Wyoming where it was common to have a Bison or two in your way. 

A couple of courses in AZ that had huge boulders you have to play around, or in between.  

Trees in fairways I've seen a few times. 

There's a course near Ontario Oregon that has a par 3 green that is 40 feet lower than the tee box or fairway. Problem with it is the green is surrounded by a thick stand of trees. The idea shot to land on the green is a high ball flight that lets ball fall almost straight down, through the canopy provided by the trees.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!