IGNORED

Camera Angles Matter

iacas
Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OMG, this is helpful.  I am a few days away from submitting another video in my swing thread.  This is exactly what I needed to see.  I have really been guessing at the correct angle.

Thank you.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

OMG, this is helpful.  I am a few days away from submitting another video in my swing thread.  This is exactly what I needed to see.  I have really been guessing at the correct angle.

Thank you.

This is why @iacas has provided guidance on filming your swing here:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

I don't know if the information regarding cameras is still current, but the sections on camera set-up almost certainly are.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Great stuff, have to start looking at this better. I've been trying to set the DTL view with alignment stick as @boogielicious adviced somewhere I think, just now realised I always stand little away from alignment stick. 🙈

Where is the camera in the distorted view? Guessing either too much left or right, not related to how high it is. Too far left?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Great video Erik. One of the reasons I just don’t take well to online lessons. I simply can’t film properly. I already have a distorted perception and trying to get a proper angle is just too time consuming for me. One of the reasons I struggled in organic chemistry. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

This is why @iacas has provided guidance on filming your swing here:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

I don't know if the information regarding cameras is still current, but the sections on camera set-up almost certainly are.

He did.  I read it before filming.  This information is better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is very interesting, thanks!

Just a thought: doesn't optimal camera position depend on what you are looking at?
Any position will be a compromise (in the videos above I understand that behind the hands at address is the best compromise)?

If I for example want to look at swing path at impact, wouldn't the best camera position be behind the ball?
And if I am looking at where the club is "pointing" at the top of the backswing, the best position would be right behind the hands at the top of the backswing?

1 hour ago, barnum1 said:

This is very interesting, thanks!

Just a thought: doesn't optimal camera position depend on what you are looking at?
Any position will be a compromise (in the videos above I understand that behind the hands at address is the best compromise)?

If I for example want to look at swing path at impact, wouldn't the best camera position be behind the ball?
And if I am looking at where the club is "pointing" at the top of the backswing, the best position would be right behind the hands at the top of the backswing?

You want it close to the toe line because you can better see the path into the ball. If it’s on the ball, you can’t see where the head is at A6 and determine if the path is inside out or not. 

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
5 hours ago, barnum1 said:

Yes, but since you often don't know what you're going to want to look at specifically, it's better, generally speaking, to stick with one camera angle for consistency, and know how certain things look from that angle.

You can teach yourself to see what a path looks like or a shaft at A4 looks like from the central camera angle without having to move the camera around for every shot or swing.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You want it close to the toe line because you can better see the path into the ball. If it’s on the ball, you can’t see where the head is at A6 and determine if the path is inside out or not. 

He means specifically at the ball, which is when you'd want the camera on the target line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Had a similar thought when I saw a few recent Swing Visions going around. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes, but since you often don't know what you're going to want to look at specifically, it's better, generally speaking, to stick with one camera angle for consistency, and know how certain things look from that angle.

You can teach yourself to see what a path looks like or a shaft at A4 looks like from the central camera angle without having to move the camera around for every shot or swing.

He means specifically at the ball, which is when you'd want the camera on the target line.

Yep, that 's what I mean - behind the hands at address is the best compromise when you don't know what you're going to want to look at specifically.

But I didn't know that the best position to see swing path is at A6. After that it's too late maybe?

If we were talking Trackman or similar, will it be positioned behind the ball? 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, barnum1 said:

But I didn't know that the best position to see swing path is at A6. After that it's too late maybe?

If we were talking Trackman or similar, will it be positioned behind the ball? 

Trackman (and video, if you only care about the path at the ball) is best behind the ball directly, yes.

A6 is a good position because it's in the middle and you have to do some things not generally seen to make the path go left when it's inside the hands at A6, for example. And I don't know if I've ever seen anyone with an outward path but the clubhead more than a tiny bit outside the hands at A6.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!