IGNORED

Tour Players/Caddies Testing Positive for COVID-19

iacas
Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0620%2Fr710719_1

He tested negative when he arrived on site. Three days later, he tested positive. Along the way, his case uncovered...

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Chris223 said:

but I'm standing by what I said in my original comment, this virus (as a whole) is a mess... and I don't see how contact, team sports can return safely, considering cases are popping up all over those sports

And I stand by my rejection of that. Sports are returning. And they’ve been played around the world for weeks if not longer.

Soccer has had cases. They’re still playing.

A ton of people are going to get this before it’s “cured.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This was another good article on the Watney situation and positive test:

1592783335596.jpeg

Following Nick Watney testing positive for COVID-19, how does the PGA Tour adjust its plan going forward?

Some excerpts that I thought were interesting:

Again, Watney has not publicly spoken on his positive test, but according to McIlroy, it was a fitness tracker that notified Watney his respiratory rates were up, a possible sign of a COVID-19 infection. A source close to Watney confirmed to Golf Digest that the tracker’s data is what prompted a new test.

This is problematic, as Watney had tested negative earlier in the week and under the tour’s guidelines wouldn’t have been tested again until he provided a sample for the chartered flight (which he didn’t use when traveling from Colonial to Harbour Town). One can drive themselves mad with theoreticals, but without the fitness tracker, Watney could have gone along unfettered until taking his arrival test upon getting to the Travelers earlier this coming week.

Also of possible issue are the measures enacted by the positive test.

Upon the announcement of Watney’s result, the tour announced, “For the health and well-being of all associated with the tournament and those within the community, the tour has begun implementing its response plan in consultation with medical experts including working with those who may have had close contact with Nick.” The tour later confirmed that 11 tests were conducted on Friday to those who were around Watney, “with all 11 tests being negative,” a tour spokesperson told Golf Digest on Saturday.

However, preliminary research shows that if someone is tested too early, one day after potential exposure, their viral load may be below the threshold of detection, rendering a negative result.

“You wouldn’t detect someone being positive from exposure that quickly,” Dr. Adalja said. “We often wait several days. We monitor them, even those who are asymptomatic. Testing the day of, even a day after, contact would not show a positive test.”

It begs to ask, even with nearly 2,400 coronavirus tests administered, are more needed for proper surveillance? (Of course, the upshot: Wait too long, and the viral load may also be too low to register.)

One thing to note is that the PGA Tour isn't testing as often as some other sports. It looks like players are tested once per week, or a second time if they take the PGA Tour charter. In the German soccer league, players are tested at a minimum twice a week. They get tested once during the week, and again before every game. That normally means twice a week, but it can be up to three times a week.

All in all, I think the Watney situation wasn't as bad as it originally seemed. I'm still skeptical on the PGA Tour's ability to handle this, but Watney's positive test may turn out to be a good thing in the long run. They're already going to test more people. It might be a good wake up call to pros not taking social distancing off the course as seriously as they should, too.

-- Daniel

It is interesting that a "fitness tracker" alerted Watney to an issue with his breathing.  He must wear a smart watch or other device.  After his "tracker" sent him an alert, he had an additional test performed which came back positive.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

He wears a Whoop.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This week is not off to a good start:

-- Daniel

On 6/21/2020 at 6:57 AM, iacas said:

A ton of people are going to get this before it’s “cured.”

Agree 100%

Was Sweden right to strive for mass immunity?

Original focus was “flatten the curve” to ensure any sick person (covid or otherwise) had care. At this point in USA, every sick person has care.

The biggest issue I see going forward is there is no clear goal or “acceptable range of Covid cases”.

——if three Dallas Cowboys get it during practice, what does that mean? Is that terrible, or is it to be expected? 

My major point is there is not a definitive measuring stick on what is good, what is bad, what is average. When do we shut down?

Reporters can take what has happened, and tell you why it was not an issue or why it is a disaster. I really want a measuring stick before things happen. I fear for  damning reports coming out after positive tests start popping up.

I’m getting more and more worried about PGA Tour events continuing. 

-- Daniel

12 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Agree 100%

Was Sweden right to strive for mass immunity?

Original focus was “flatten the curve” to ensure any sick person (covid or otherwise) had care. At this point in USA, every sick person has care.

The biggest issue I see going forward is there is no clear goal or “acceptable range of Covid cases”.

——if three Dallas Cowboys get it during practice, what does that mean? Is that terrible, or is it to be expected? 

My major point is there is not a definitive measuring stick on what is good, what is bad, what is average. When do we shut down?

Reporters can take what has happened, and tell you why it was not an issue or why it is a disaster. I really want a measuring stick before things happen. I fear for  damning reports coming out after positive tests start popping up.

As of right now, with the spikes some states are seeing, not every sick person has a bed available if needed. I know I saw Dallas the other day reporting their ICU beds are completely full.  Other cities are spiking bad because nobody cares anymore.  Americans got bored of it

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

They could come play in the Mitten and just allow me and @bkuehn1952 to watch!   I'd be good with that!  :whistle:

I do believe we'll see more players and caddies go into quarantine.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Today might be a rough day:

The PGA Tour Commissioner is having a press conference at 2pm. Any leaks before that will be interesting. 

-- Daniel

On 6/20/2020 at 4:56 AM, iacas said:

You can be within six feet of someone for a little while outside.

Let’s go with science instead of fear please?

Pretty easy to find studies that support that and contradict that.  We can all cherry pick to support our personal narrative.

I'm not going to be critical of someone wearing a mask as prescribed by the CDC, and yes on the tee box and elsewhere on the course people get closer than 6 feet even if it's an unintentional lapse of awareness.

virus.jpg

By now, Americans are familiar with the rule: Stay six feet away from other people for your best chance of preventing the spread of COVID-19.

Edited by No Mulligans

This may be a problem for the Tour:

GettyImages-1221965915.jpg?resize=1200%2

The governors of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut said Wednesday they will implement a mandatory quarantine on visitors to their states from viral hotspots, part of a coordinated effort to sustain low local infection...

-- Daniel

28 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

This may be a problem for the Tour:

GettyImages-1221965915.jpg?resize=1200%2

The governors of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut said Wednesday they will implement a mandatory quarantine on visitors to their states from viral hotspots, part of a coordinated effort to sustain low local infection...

Not really a problem after this week - tour goes to Detroit, Dublin, OH (Jack's course), Minnesota, Memphis, Lake Tahoe (Cali might balk), San Fran, North Carolna, Boston (8/20-23), Chicago, and then East Lake - 9/17-20 Winged Foot US Open, Ryder Cup (rumored to be pushed to 2021), then the 2020-21 schedule plus the bonus Masters in mid-November.
So after this week the tour isn't in NY, NJ or CT.

Players play, tough players win!

7 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Not really a problem after this week - tour goes to Detroit, Dublin, OH (Jack's course), Minnesota, Memphis, Lake Tahoe (Cali might balk), San Fran, North Carolna, Boston (8/20-23), Chicago, and then East Lake - 9/17-20 Winged Foot US Open, Ryder Cup (rumored to be pushed to 2021), then the 2020-21 schedule plus the bonus Masters in mid-November.
So after this week the tour isn't in NY, NJ or CT.

Right, but the question is the order is going to apply to people already in the state. If so, then everybody who traveled from Harbor Town would have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

I haven't read enough to know if it does apply to people already in the state, though, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 1

-- Daniel

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:
On 6/20/2020 at 7:56 AM, iacas said:

Pretty easy to find studies that support that and contradict that

Not really. Your article from ‘MedExpress’ really concluded nothing. ‘Maybe’ , ‘Suggests..but not tested with Covid virus.’ ‘ Inconclusive but perhaps possible.’ Worthless anecdotes. It’s not like tour players or any golfer for that matter are holding hands and coughing, spitting or shouting to each other within 6’. And no, I’m not going to criticize someone wearing a mask while playing golf. But I also will not encourage it or give it any accolade either. Because it isn’t necessary. 
If we’re gonna call the activity we’ve seen from the last two tournaments as ‘high risk behavior’ then you better shut down your city completely unless you plan to wear full PPE everywhere other than home.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!